Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:43:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 649
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Coastal docks and buildings  (Read 2303 times)

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
Coastal docks and buildings
« on: March 23, 2020, 06:38:21 PM »
Thanks to the shutdown, I had time to do this yesterday.

Old fishing village and docks, mainly for The Sword and the Flame Deep Ones in Florida project.

GF had a great idea: Use foamcore base, glue on scrap balsa, then squish buildings to get a run down look.

Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline ichwillauch

• Scientist
Re: Coastal docks and buildings
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 06:52:11 PM »
looks really cool!

Offline BillK

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 11:55:13 PM »
Wonderful!

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 03:54:13 AM »
While I really like the various stages of salt air aged wood, I find myself a bit bothered my the overall monotone nature of it all (gray toned).  I grant this may only be a factor of the presentation - might not be a bother at all in a fully scenic environment.  Will look forward to seeing it in a full realization to see how it works.  Soon, yes?  Shut down and all?  (Alas, my work is high tier "essential services" so no extra time for figures - quite the opposite, get home from work and once basic chores are attended and dinner consumed, I'm done for and used up - just need to destress with no energy for hobby except coming here to LAF and the like.  Can only imagine how much worse it is for direct front line medical staff.)

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 11:48:07 AM »
Looks cool I like it.

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 12:55:21 PM »
While I really like the various stages of salt air aged wood, I find myself a bit bothered my the overall monotone nature of it all (gray toned).  I grant this may only be a factor of the presentation - might not be a bother at all in a fully scenic environment.  Will look forward to seeing it in a full realization to see how it works.  Soon, yes?  Shut down and all?  (Alas, my work is high tier "essential services" so no extra time for figures - quite the opposite, get home from work and once basic chores are attended and dinner consumed, I'm done for and used up - just need to destress with no energy for hobby except coming here to LAF and the like.  Can only imagine how much worse it is for direct front line medical staff.)

I actually started drybrushing a little color onto a building, and you ate right, it helps

Offline Florida Tory

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 11:53:24 AM »
Very evocative; you definitely captured the authentic look of a cabin on the Indian River or deep in a swamp!

Rick
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 11:56:09 AM by Florida Tory »

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 10:08:48 PM »
Looks great, a whole lot of (loose) lichen over the table for a game will tie it all together and add some colour. But I think the strength of a table like this is creating an atmospheric backdrop for games.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2020, 04:19:28 AM »
Smokey, I was not suggesting changing the color of the buildings - though that will certainly add interest - but wondering how it will balance once you have a fully realized gaming table.  Von Lucky's idea about the lichen is going in the right direction and the right bit of water, whether, bluish, brownish, or greenish, will be a key factor.  And, remember, lichen can be had in quite a range of natural colors these days, various greens, various tans, various browns - and even a few outlandish unnatural colors like vivid purple.  I must have several gallons of lichen I use in my games.  Spring? Light greens.  Full summer?  Dark greens.  Autumn?  Tans, yellows, reds, and oranges.  Simple and effective.  Winter?  Not for me, fella!  Too cold. 

Again, look forward to seeing those fine buildings in a game.

Offline Chimpfoot

• Mad Scientist
  • Life is a daring adventure or nothing at all
    • chimpfoots tavern
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2020, 08:57:47 AM »
Really nice von Luckys got the right idea lots of different lichen clumps would add the splashes of colour great work :)
chimpfoots-tavern.blogspot.com

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2020, 04:18:24 PM »
Really nice von Luckys got the right idea lots of different lichen clumps would add the splashes of colour great work :)

yep, a great idea.  Working on "The Terrible Tiki Bar" now.  (based on our local tiki bar on the reever)

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2020, 06:36:46 PM »
It looks very effective. Plenty of scope for someone to fall off the boardwalks - or to be pulled in by some hideous creature of the deep. :)
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2020, 01:07:04 AM »
very Impressive...Love it.

Offline JBaumal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2020, 12:39:28 PM »
Smokey, I love it! Great job, very evocative. I can hear the boards creaky under foot, feel the mosquitoes biting, and smell the moisture....

OK now, when do I get to game on it brother? Got a scenario lurking in that busy mind of yours buddy??

Well done!

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2020, 11:27:14 AM »
The stuff that's coming out of this lockdown is inspiring and wonderful.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt