Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:43:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Great Confinement... An ECW battle played via WhatsApp (Concluded!)  (Read 12410 times)

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: The Great Confinement... An ECW battle played via WhatsApp
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2020, 09:30:20 PM »
Excellent Richard. Thank you for doing this.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2020, 10:15:30 PM »
What a brilliant idea  8) 8) 8)

......and it has to be said, played with such beautiful terrain and fantastically painted mini's  :-* :-* :-*

Superb stuff and a great tonic!  8)

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2020, 10:18:34 PM »
This is brilliant Richard,well done :)
I have to ask,though it’s probably rhetorical;  do you have any armies for North of the border? I have had for a long time a particular interest in Montrose’s campaigns,even owning a copy of Max Hasting’s book which is reasonably difficult to get hold of,so a bit of a Montrose fanboy  ::) lol
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2020, 12:28:54 AM »
Looking good as a planned game. Glad to see folk are thinking about how to get round isolation. Nice looking game too.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2020, 01:39:45 AM »
I'm hoping to try something like that tomorrow afternoon, Bangkok time (GMT + 7). Anyone interested, let me know.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2020, 04:12:09 AM »
Having seen the figures, I'd be very frustrated not being in the room with the toys!  Hope it works out well for all concerned, even the losing side. 

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2020, 07:28:07 AM »
They are all Bicorne / Renegade ECW, plus a few mounted TYW figures (and gunners) from TAG. All these ranges were sculpted by Nick Collier, so are stylistically all of a kind, although the TAG figures are a bit smaller (more noticeable with the foot figures than the mounted figures).
For my money, these are still the best ECW figures out there, and the most comprehensive range.
Both Bicorne and Renegade changed sculptors to round out their ECW ranges, so you do have to be a bit careful, because some other hands, with much less of a feel for the period, produced a few of the later codes from both manufacturers.
I've actually just discovered though, several Collier-sculpted packs in the Bicorne ECW range (musketeers in various poses at rest, and several command packs), which are superb, and which I've never seen before. I think these must be later additions - I assembled this entire collection about 10 years ago.

Thanks for the detailed answer, very helpful. I am off to look at the Bicorne website now. I have an affection for this period although I haven't  played an ECW game since the '70s! My first proper wargame army was composed of ECW 25mm Minifigs.

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2020, 07:45:54 AM »
This looks great..
Can’t wait for the next instalment.
Flatpack

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2020, 11:06:15 AM »
This is brilliant Richard,well done :)
I have to ask,though it’s probably rhetorical;  do you have any armies for North of the border?

Afraid not, Guy. I do have a few lancers which I count as border horse, but that's it :)

My first proper wargame army was composed of ECW 25mm Minifigs.

The first five metal wargames figures I ever bought with my pocket money (c.1974) were Hinchliffe ECW - an officer, a drummer, and three musketeers firing (in morions). I painted them orange for the Earl of Essex. I then gradually expanded this army to include a lot of Minifigs too - the telegraph pole pikes  lol
Back then, Hinchliffe were 9p and Minifigs 8p, so on the whole, I preferred Minifigs ;)

I think the rules are not so usable for the period... Greetings to all the boys. Stay healthy and take care.

Thanks Dirk - you too :)
(I quite like these rules by the way. Each to their own... )

Anyway... On with the game :)

Turn 2 continued – Royalists:

Fondling’s veteran Folorn Hope reach the inn…

Hopton’s gallopers activate successfully and begin to move forward…

Meanwhile on the other flank, Spoons’ commanded shot get a volley off, requiring sixes to hit Okey’s dragoons in the gorse.
From 12 dice they get 4 sixes - which is enough to cause one casualty.
First blood to the King.
The dragoons fail a morale check and fall back half a move, wavering. Back to where they just came from!
(If you're interested in the cannonball 'wavering' markers, here's how I made them: https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=122963.0)

In the Royalist centre, Spoons’ Greencoat Regt. of shot advance into the farmyard, while Crawley’s Horse make a sharp right turn and start heading towards the Royalist right flank…

End of turn 2…

Turn 3.

Royalists win the initiative, so they move again straightaway.

Fondling’s Folorn Hope activate successfully and continue sneaking around the front of the inn, sheltered by the wall and tree... Hopton’s Horse gallop up to the wall in front of them...

Yikes! Into the jaws of death!

Now however, FRICTION occurs! Hopton’s blew troop of dragoons roll a 3, and thus fail to activate to move.
So they (and Spoons’ commanded shot in turn) are stymied. That’s Oshiro’s turn done.
The baton passes over to Elk101...

Crawley’s Horse successfully activate to move, and continue to head up towards the inn... The Royalist horse are making a definite bid to attack and roll up the Parliamentarian right flank.

Spoons’ Greencoat Regt. of shot now rank up by the hedge beside the mown hayfield...

Fondling’s Regt. of shot activate to move forward - and roll a DOUBLE SIX! If you roll a double 6 on your activation roll, good things follow. Roll another D6 and consult the chart…

Followed by ANOTHER SIX!!!

That means Elk101 gets 4 points worth of reinforcements arriving on his baseline.
Fondling’s foot duly advance into the mown field... Moving at a princely 3” over the rough ground...  lol

Crawley’s dragoons then try to activate and believe it or not, it’s a double 1! MORE FRICTION!
The ensuing die roll (to see what negative occurs from this double 1 failed activation) is rolled live on video… And it’s a 5. Could have been worse… Fate gives, fate takes away... Crawley’s dragoons begin to waver…

Elk101 chooses Sir Richard Astley’s Bluecoat Regt. of shot as his 4 points of reinforcements. They deploy immediately behind the Royalist left flank…

Over to Parliament for their turn 3...

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2020, 11:13:14 AM »
GOD SAVE THE KING!

lol
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Online fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2020, 12:01:12 PM »
Lovely looking game - will be interested to see how this plays out.

We have played two games live by video conference over the last two weeks, which works. But it is interesting to see this approach - which probably gives much more a fog or war feel to the game, but I suspect requires a lot of work from the person running the game, to deliver all the updates and take the appropriate pictures.

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2020, 12:31:45 PM »
It's such a great idea! I wonder if there is an App that allows the players to roll the dice in a common WhatsApp group, I mean, that you send the message and then the App generates randomly the results, thus allowing the players to get even more involved.

And the Fog of War is simply genius!

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2020, 12:52:04 PM »
It’s actually quite demanding to interpret the images and decide on orders: as a player, I feel very involved (tense even!!  :D). Having Richard do all the dice rolls himself also speeds things considerably.
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Admiral Alder

• Librarian
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2020, 02:18:32 PM »
This looks brilliant! I hope the updates continue.

- Captain Blood, do you have any of the Bicorne Italian Wars minis in your collection? I'm struggling to find any pictures of them which seems an ominous sign that they might be rather old fashioned compared to more recent sculpts.

For 17th Century Skirmishing its probably better to not include any pike armed units, as they don't work as a formation of 12.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2020, 02:31:15 PM »
Thanks Admiral  :)
Yes, the reports will see the battle through to the end over the next few days. Well, it whiles away some time...
No, I’m afraid I don’t have any of the Bicorne Italian Wars figures, and haven’t seen them.