Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:59:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686454
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Post Apoc ruins question... possible Horseclans project....  (Read 3344 times)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Post Apoc ruins question... possible Horseclans project....
« on: March 27, 2020, 03:37:12 PM »
After enjoying a couple of the early Shannara stories (Sword and Elfstones) many years ago I was surprised to later find out it was actually Post Apoc. I never really read much more of the series despite repeated attempts to get into it.

So I decided to give the TV series a try and was disappointed.

Whilst I love the aesthetic of contemporary architecture bring overgrown as nature reclaims it, I thought the show looked nothing like how I picture 2000 years after the Great War.

I also greatly enjoyed the Horseclans series as a young man and recently became interested in the series again. It got me wondering what Adams’ Post Apoc American East Coast architecture might look like 1,000 years after the Great War, considering massive seismic events changing the coastline drastically.

So what do you folks think? Any good visuals of what you think realistic?

And yes, this is for a Horseclans project that I really should not let myself get distracted by.

I have attached some photos of the ruins in the Shannara tv series. I always got the impression there were not such obvious ruins in either Shannara or Horseclans despite them looking cool.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 12:27:44 PM by Rick W. »
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline SirRoystonPapworth

• Bookworm
Re: Post Apoc ruins question
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 07:08:08 PM »
What always made me  chuckle with the Shannara visuals was all the rusting cars. Seriously, they still.look.like cars after being left for 1000 years plus!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 07:15:40 PM »
Exactly. The more you watch the tv show the more it felt like the showrunners had no idea of the author’s timeline.

Offline Chimpfoot

• Mad Scientist
  • Life is a daring adventure or nothing at all
    • chimpfoots tavern
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 07:51:42 PM »
Horseclans? May sacred sun shine on this project twoleg brother :-*
chimpfoots-tavern.blogspot.com

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2020, 12:30:51 AM »
Thank you brother, sacred sun and wind protect us all in these troubled times.

Offline Orchomeno

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2020, 05:53:24 AM »
I’d second the recommendation for The world without us. But that far in the future the main thing left will be broken glass.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: Post Apoc ruins question... possible Horseclans project....
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2020, 12:29:26 PM »
My google-fu has failed to uncover any Horseclans wargaming projects, commercial or private. Does anyone know of any?

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2020, 03:25:00 PM »
I’d second the recommendation for The world without us. But that far in the future the main thing left will be broken glass.

Actually, I would be unsurprised if certain things we have built were in near complete condition - Hoover Dam, for example, will likely still be in place in near entirety under the water flowing over it once it quit running water through, much in the way the Pyramids have lasted 3000 years.

My google-fu has failed to uncover any Horseclans wargaming projects, commercial or private. Does anyone know of any?

I haven't seen any either, come to think of it.  Damn, now I need to go find those books again.  I haven't read them in 20+ years.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2020, 04:15:09 PM »
I picked up the two GURPS Horseclans books. And I just finished reading another Horseclans book, #9 Witch Godess. I am rereading the entire series and there is a great deal in the books I do not remember from when I read them as a teenager.

As a veteran myself there are elements of the books regarding soldiery that rings true. Lots of great little details on arms, armor and tactics. But there are socio-political elements that are quite out of step with contemporary liberal values on one hand and conservative religious values on the other. I used to wonder why the Horseclans never made it into the big screen but now I can see how difficult it would be to make unless heavily edited.

Ruins are mentioned more often than I remembered, even in the later period books, ie Bili the Axe stories. But not exactly precise descriptions of the ruins.

Have you read the series?

What did you think of it?

I recommended it to a friend before I started rereading the series and he was far from impressed by it. I feel like I may have offended him with the recommendation, but whether from the socio-political aspects or the annoying habit of repeatedly going over the same scenes over and over again in flashbacks, I do not know.

And I still have yet to find any gaming versions of Horseclans other than GURPS. I am a bit surprised that I have not found Burker Freefighters or Horseclans nomads kitbashed from multipart plastic kits on google.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2020, 04:53:16 PM »
The “Life after....” TV series would be an excellent resource for this...it had a reasoned arguement (and CGI) for what would happen to buildings, 50 years, 100 years, 1000 years, 1000 years + “After man”...

:)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2020, 05:33:04 PM »
Life after.... I will have a look for it, thanks!

Offline Chimpfoot

• Mad Scientist
  • Life is a daring adventure or nothing at all
    • chimpfoots tavern
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2020, 07:23:02 PM »
Agreed life after has some good poachable ideas.

But...the world Adam's describes has been wracked by nuclear holocaust and then worldwide seismic convulsions.

The word 'rubble' springs to mind.

That being said the God Cities were a continued source of worked metal and other trinkets from the past, Greenwalls survived in one form or another so I'm sure some recognizable elements would persist scoured by wind and time.

Was the bridge that Demetrios fell from a relic of the past?

Makes me think of Ozymandias , look on my works ye mighty
Where? Oh that giant foot in the desert, is that it?

I think the source material gives you a pretty blank slate to go on any chunky over grown ruins could be justified as remnants from the time the gods walked the earth.

They were some of my favourite books, I don't agree with many of the views in them but then again I don't agree with rape, torture incest ultra violence and the persecution of the 'other' all seen in current works like GOT (all acceptable lauded and rewarded as literature and perfectly good entertainment in today's liberal enlightened times)

But the real question is...when are we going to see some eye candy on this project???!

Come on Rick don't keep teasing us

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2020, 03:54:09 AM »
So many projects, so little time!

To really make progress on this I need to convince my wife and so far that has gone poorly. Same with Twilight 2000 and Fallout.

At least I have her convinced on Core Space and Dropfleet Commander. I keep hoping I will have more time when my son goes back to school.

As to that bridge, I believe you are right. And there are ruins I believe mentioned in that same campaign recognizable as Ruins of a “god city”.

You make a good point about GOT.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 05:35:25 AM by Rick W. »

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2020, 11:09:05 PM »
If anyone is interested, here are a few more Post Apoc images:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/9593487@N07/albums/72157623522967697

Dan