Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:19:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686567
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warlord Games Black Seas HMS Victory Build  (Read 8525 times)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
Warlord Games Black Seas HMS Victory Build
« on: March 28, 2020, 02:51:34 PM »
So, after completing my first model from Warlord Games (L'Orient), I am off on my second... HMS Victory.

I am hopeful the stuff I learned in that first build will make for an even nicer final product on this renowned Man-of-War. I'll be posting updates, but far fewer than for the L'Orient build and will try to focus mainly on stuff that I do differently.

So to start off... I am redoing the masts, as the metal masts of the model are just too soft and bend to easily. This problem made rigging the L'Orient a nightmare and probably doubled or tripled the time needed to do the work.

In this (incredibly bad) photo, you can see on the left the almost complete main mast. It lacks the upper spar. In the middle is the foremast being constructed and on the right is the still untouched "aft'est" mast.

They are all still a work in progress and I will post a photo when they are all finished.

Here is another incredibly bad photo of what I did to the bowsprit:

Essentially I cut the mast into three pieces and placed pins in them to give them more strength. One piece has been attached to the model and can be seen where the black string has been added (more reinforcement). I did this with the L'Orient. The other part is in addition this time, and will be attached when I have finished painting the model and am ready to add the masts.

So... off we go on another voyage. With luck, this model will come out a lot better.

We'll see...

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Warlord Games Black Seas HMS Victory Build
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 01:16:04 PM »
Nice start with the second model. Looking forward to following this with interest.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 01:53:55 PM »
Thanks!

The L'Orient took me way too long to do. Of course, there was a lot of trial and error going on then.

The masts are taking a lot of time to do, however, they are looking awesome. In the end I think it will save me a ton of time and result in much better rigging and overall look. It will also provide a much sturdier model.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 02:01:04 PM »
Following with great interest. Brilliant start mate.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 02:50:20 PM »
What size is the finished beast

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 04:05:16 PM »
Following with great interest. Brilliant start mate.

Cheers!

Modifications to the bowsprit are complete as are those to the mainmast. Presently mounting the spars on the foremast and the mizzen mast. When they are complete (painted with running rigging attached), I'll do a picture and we can compare them to my first project.

What size is the finished beast

When it is finished it appears it will be the same size as the L'Orient... about 6 inches (15cm) long and 4 inches (10cm) high.

These models are beasts.  :-*

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2020, 03:18:37 AM »
Cool.  The rebuilt masts look pretty sturdy.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2020, 05:08:04 AM »
Yep, that is the whole idea.

The masts are pretty much all constructed and are now being rigged. They will then need to be painted. I'm also working on the sea base at the same time. It is in the painting stage.

Getting closer to a photo update... still have a bit of work to do.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2020, 05:21:04 PM »
Right... so here is the first change to how I painted HMS Victory as compared to the L'Orient.

With the L'Orient I painted the deck a solid color, in this case,  GW Ushabti Bone and it looked like this:

With the Victory, I dry brushed the Ushabti Bone so as not to fill the very small groves between the decking and it looked like this:

Then I applied a coat of Agrax Earthshade to the decks to bring out the detail. You can immediately see the difference:

L'Orient:

HMS Victory:

I'm much more pleased with how the Victory came out. I still need to do some highlighting, however.

You can also notice that the base (aluminum foil construction) is finished. I went with 2 coats of dark blue this time to try to get a bluer color, but unfortunately I went too heavy on the dry brushing, so the two bases are basically the same.

I also decided not to put pegs on the Victory like I did the L'Orient for the backstays (boy was that a pain to use) and instead have opted just for holes which I think will be much easier to work with.

I will now continue painting the hull of the Victory and working on the masts. The masts are built but I still haven't gotten them all rigged yet.

Soooo... not a lot of difference here, but I must say I like the way the Victory's deck came out far better than the L'Orient.

Till next time...

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2020, 10:15:46 PM »
The deck detail on the Victory really looks good.   If the base is a bit too white, perhaps a blue wash to darken it up a bit?

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2020, 10:20:31 PM »
The deck detail on the Victory really looks good.   If the base is a bit too white, perhaps a blue wash to darken it up a bit?

Cheers, mate!

That is an interesting recommendation concerning the base. I might have to do some experimenting. Thanks.

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2020, 03:11:45 AM »
Interesting thread , Ray , even though I’m never gonna build one .  lol

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2020, 04:02:09 AM »
Interesting thread , Ray , even though I’m never gonna build one .  lol

They are lovely models, mate.

After over 40 years in the hobby (off and on) this is the one era I have always wanted to do but have never tried. The Warlord Games Black Seas models finally gave me a reason to dive in. And boy have I.

As we speak the Santisima Trinidad is in the post headed for my door step!  :-*

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2020, 11:43:58 AM »
Awesome!!!!

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2020, 07:42:34 PM »
Coming out very nice! Excellent deck detail! Eager to see the hull painted! Cheers!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi