Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:58:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Anyone know how to make a louvred panel?  (Read 1075 times)

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
Anyone know how to make a louvred panel?
« on: March 28, 2020, 07:55:54 PM »
Hi Chaps,

Hope you are all safe and well and have all you need.

So... whilst in isolation I am loving the free time and have made a few African modern buildings but I would really like to know how to make an effective louvred panel to use as a window cover.... I have tried a scoring cardboard etc...

Is there any genius out there who knows an easy way to do this? Is there a link to a way of making such a panel??

I do hope you all stay safe.

Thanks for any advice.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
Re: Anyone know how to make a louvred panel?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 08:14:33 PM »
Make the frame first and let it dry then starting from the bottom insert strips as slats inside the frame vertically and press to the desired angle and add a drop of glue to the join between strip (louvre) and frame. Let dry and repeat.

Assumes the use of plastic card and poly adhesive.

Model boat accessory sellers do sell them ready made or cheaper is buying a ships ladder and putting a frame around sections cut from it.

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 08:16:57 PM »
Thanks Rob... I will give that a go but only the once and then try and mould it... I need about 40 of the things!. That 3d printer is looking like a good idea but will have to wait.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 01:09:11 AM »
I've worked the orher way around before myself...

I simply glued lengthts of styrene strip onto eachother, but stepped, as if creating a very wide set of stairs.

Once I reached the height of the window I was going for, I left the stack to dry thoroughly, then cut out/off the size of the window, and added the windowframe by glueing more styrene strip around the louvred rectangle.

The advantage is that you can make multiples very easily, depending on the length of the styrene strips one uses for the louvres. I only needed 4 at the time, but this method works with larger amounts without issue...  :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 09:46:43 AM »
For louvered shutters you could use electric cable ties cut to length,  depending on the width you need, I bought some ties about 8mm width to do this but of course never got round to using them.

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 08:00:05 PM »
I simply glued lengthts of styrene strip onto eachother, but stepped, as if creating a very wide set of stairs.
Once I reached the height of the window I was going for, I left the stack to dry thoroughly, then cut out/off the size of the window, and added the windowframe by glueing more styrene strip around the louvred rectangle.
The advantage is that you can make multiples very easily, depending on the length of the styrene strips one uses for the louvres. I only needed 4 at the time, but this method works with larger amounts without issue...  :)
This would be my go to. 
For louvered shutters you could use electric cable ties cut to length,  depending on the width you need, I bought some ties about 8mm width to do this but of course never got round to using them.
This one will work well in a pinch.  You can add plastic edging to make it look like two layers folded up.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2020, 10:30:26 PM »

I have done it loads of time this way but just using thin cardboard usually cut from business cards

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2020, 10:11:31 PM »
I have done it loads of time this way but just using thin cardboard usually cut from business cards
I did not think of that.  They just replaced all of our business cards so I have some spare. 

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2020, 09:34:23 AM »
Thanks Guys, some great ideas on here... may have a go with the card idea today.