Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:07:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Glaurung Rampant game  (Read 1205 times)

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
Glaurung Rampant game
« on: March 29, 2020, 03:58:31 AM »
Not quite committing the sin of playing with bare lead, I have had a game of Glaurung Rampant (Dragon Rampant for the Silmarillion) with may semi-unpainted orcs.

I did try, for the second time, an alternative activation for this game.  I didn't like it by turn two so reverted to a normal activation process with just minor tweaking for leaders and captains.

Men of the House of Beor have been sent to secure a bridge across the Rivil in north western Dorthonion.  Unfortunately, a small number of orcs are already across the bridge (part of random enemy deployment).
The Edain have seven units totalling 32 points.
The orcs and their friends also ended up with seven units, but totaled 37 points (I always give the orcs more points to compensate for any bias I have).  The force was comprised of orcs, wargs and trolls.  The latter were my main concern - bellicose foot with terrifically hard hides (rather than terrifically shiny armour).
A report, of sorts, follows

The battlefield:

The archers of the Edain failed miserably to dent the oncoming wargs which crashed into a shield wall.  This was to repeat itself several times with both sides failing to inflict any real damage on their adversaries.

In the last of these clashes the wargs suddenly failed their courage and routed.

In the centre the Edain tried to move on the bridge. 
Orcs attacked one of the archer groups - these men couldn't hit the side of a barn from 10 paces but could fight causing the orcs to recoil twice but finally panicking and routing.

On the right flank, nearest the bridge things were not going well.  The men of Beor thought they would put their fastest troops near the bridge to get there rapidly, not expecting to face much resistance.  With the random deployment they instead faced 2 groups of scouts backed up by the orc leader.  Through the game these scouts would be a major problem.  Initially they damaged a group of light infantry making them easy prey to orc infantry (routed).

Levy (light infantry) just before they lose their combat.

The orc infantry are eventually routed after taking casualies from the second group of archers and losing a combat to heavy infantry. 
The other orc light infantry unit also eventually loses it's nerve after combat and also flees.

But the orc scouts strike again, twice inflicting hits on a heavy infantry unit and then killing a captain of the Edain.

Disordered the men fall back to the trees and rally.  The orc leader feels confident he can crush the damaged enemy and a furious battle takes place under the tress.  Both sides take casualties but the orcs twice as many, they panic and flee.

Meanwhile, the poor old trolls never managed much.  They lumbered forward and became battered after one too many casualties from arrows.  They fall back but never manage to rally.  The Edain leader closes on them and finally routs the enemy.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: Glaurung Rampant game
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 04:16:36 AM »
Great stuff! Brilliant looking minis and sounds like a fun game.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Aesthete

• Librarian
    • Dispatches from the Miniature Front
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 07:18:26 AM »
Some lovely looking minis. I like the freehand on the cloaks, very nice.

The table's pretty cool too. I like the look of the teddy fur (that's what it is, right?) though I wonder - to what degree does it interfere with moving the minis smoothly? I'd imagine some of the plastics, for example, might be difficult to position on the uneven ground sometimes?

Two more questions:

1. This was a solo play game, right?

2. Glaurung Rampant - do you have any rules variations for it, or is it straight up Dragon Rampant with a Tolkien reference in the name?

Dispatches from the Miniature Front - my occasionally updated blog

Offline Swordisdrawn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
  • '
    • Sword is Drawn
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 08:10:18 AM »
Looks likeva brilliant game
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn and the scabbard thrown away!'

Instagram Swordisdrawn264

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 10:27:29 AM »
A great looking game!

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 12:27:38 PM »
Terrific!  A good narrative game with some fine pics. I tend to play the trolls as Heavy Foot + Offensive in DR.  Nice to have Fear too if the points aren’t an issue.

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2020, 06:03:21 PM »
Thanks for the comments.  Very bad of me to have unfinished figures on the table!

The table's pretty cool too. I like the look of the teddy fur (that's what it is, right?) though I wonder - to what degree does it interfere with moving the minis smoothly? I'd imagine some of the plastics, for example, might be difficult to position on the uneven ground sometimes? 

It is teddybear fur.  Mat is from Killing Fields.  It is a bit too uniform for my liking and although it can be trimmed it becomes a lot browner when you do so. The miniatures seem to move on it without problems.  My plastic figures are based on metal washers.

1. This was a solo play game, right?

2. Glaurung Rampant - do you have any rules variations for it, or is it straight up Dragon Rampant with a Tolkien reference in the name?

Yes, solo game.  No real rules variations.  Magic certainly needs to be limited.  I have used some rules out of Lion Rampant Dark Age Supplement (on Dan Mersey's blog). 
My leadership rules are a bit different. I decided to give leaders and subordinate captains some PIPs.  These could be used for improving a units activation roll if within 6" or used in combat. Every PIP used in combat increases the risk to the leader.

Terrific!  A good narrative game with some fine pics. I tend to play the trolls as Heavy Foot + Offensive in DR.  Nice to have Fear too if the points aren’t an issue.

James, I struggled with what to make my trolls.  I also considered Elite Foot, but 12 strength points is better staying power. 
I don't worry too much about unit points.  As this is a solo game for me I can use points as I like.
I don't know how many points a Balrog or dragon will need.

Although, do you think First Age dragons couldn't fly because Morgoth ran out of points?  lol lol

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 11:42:33 AM »
excellent lookin game.

teddy bear fur mat looks great.