Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:22:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686448
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Cavalry recommendations: Gallic, Numidian, Roman  (Read 6084 times)

Offline Ockius

• Scientist
Re: Cavalry recommendations: Gallic, Numidian, Roman
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2020, 08:29:16 AM »
Thanks for the photos and info Cadbren; really helpful!

I swear I spend so much time umming and ahh-ing over which models to buy because of scale issues!

I have those Warlord SPQR ones already, a box of six and need two more to complete the unit so think I’ll use a couple of Foundry for that. Then maybe a separate unit of Crusader models too, as I have quite a few of their infantry.
My armies:
- Henry VIII's army (WIP) 15mm
- Ancient Germans (28mm)
- Ancient Belgae (Gauls with German allies) (28mm)
- Massilian Greeks (Greeks and Gallic mercenaries/subjects) (28mm)
- A few EI Romans (28mm)
- Handful of WW2 British (15mm)
- A load of old 1993-1999ish Warhammer Orcs and Goblins

Offline cadbren

• Librarian
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2020, 11:46:08 PM »
Foundry have around three different styles, done by different sculptors for their Gallic ranges.
Enemies of Rome: Gauls
Enemies of Rome: Celtic British
The Roman Empire: Republican Rome's Wars: Continental Celts

I like the heft of the Crusader guys. I recently got some A&A Celts which are done by the same guy who did the Crusader Celts so are pretty much the same range but aren't as polished looking. The riders have slightly shorter legs than the Crusader ones and don't come with the saddle moulded. The A&A horses are similar in size to foundry etc horses.

Anyone doing Crusader Celts should get the A&A ones too (especially infantry) for more variation, but their horses are much smaller.

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2020, 09:52:15 AM »
Great comparison pictures!

It's shame that the scale issue happened between the Republic Roman infantry and cavalry. I only have the early Imperial Roman infantry, but how do they look compared to the early Imperial cavalry scale wise?

I do hope that Victrix is aware about the problem and will avoid it with all their new sets. Especially with the huge range of Persians and the soon to be designed Norman cavalry.

Offline seldon

• Scientist
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2020, 02:53:11 PM »
The Foundry Numidians are excellent, from the Caesarian Roman range. Sadly the Companion range, which matched them perfectly haven’t been around for a long time.

And the Foundry Gauls are beautiful too... and they even have some civilians for some cool scenarios.

Offline Ockius

• Scientist
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2020, 02:01:52 PM »

Anyone doing Crusader Celts should get the A&A ones too (especially infantry) for more variation, but their horses are much smaller.

Yes, I have the exact figures - found the A&A foot perfect, as you said, and their Celtic horse figures similar in style but way too small, both the horses and riders. I class them as my light cavalry (on ponies) and use bigger models as medium cavalry.

Offline Pinno

• Librarian
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2020, 08:14:32 AM »
Great comparison pictures!

It's shame that the scale issue happened between the Republic Roman infantry and cavalry. I only have the early Imperial Roman infantry, but how do they look compared to the early Imperial cavalry scale wise?

I do hope that Victrix is aware about the problem and will avoid it with all their new sets. Especially with the huge range of Persians and the soon to be designed Norman cavalry.

This is Victrix EIR cavalry and infantry size comparison.

Offline Johnp4000

• Librarian
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2020, 10:52:01 AM »
This is Victrix EIR cavalry and infantry size comparison.

I missed this one, can you say whether the horse is smaller than the Republican Roman version?

Offline cadbren

• Librarian
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2020, 04:14:01 AM »
The Victrix horses are the same size. I think the Numidians have smaller horses. The Gallic and Roman horses are pretty much interchangeable as they even have similar saddles.

Offline Eoin OCnaimhsi

• Librarian
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2020, 07:51:03 AM »
Pardon the non cavalry related question, how are you approaching the hoplites for Massilia. Are you adding any Kelto-Hellenic touches?

You could give them La tene swords or chainmail I suppose from the Gallic set.

Offline Ockius

• Scientist
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2020, 07:26:48 PM »
Pardon the non cavalry related question, how are you approaching the hoplites for Massilia. Are you adding any Kelto-Hellenic touches?

You could give them La tene swords or chainmail I suppose from the Gallic set.

I have taken the angle that the Greeks there were pretty solidly Greek in culture and did not assimilate much. I remember reading an article somewhere that suggested this was the case - it was countering an assumption that earlier historians had made that Massilia had a region of Gaul under its control, and ruled over areas of Gauls, which this article said more recent archaeology did not support. It seems they were very much a colony, separate from the Gallic hinterland, and did not actually influence the Gauls much or vice versa, aside from supplying them with wine and other trade goods.

Mind you, I have read that the chainmail worn by thorakitai and the shields of thureophorai were adopted from Gauls. What I basically have is two hoplite phalanxes to represent the city merchant and noble classes (traditionalist in their old-fashioned hoplite gear, perhaps hand-downs that they are clinging to a bit after it was mostly abandoned in the main Hellenic areas), some thureophoria and thorakitai to represent maybe enlisted Greek working classes or professional soldiers in the more modern gear bought for them by the Polis, and then the skirmishers and horse will be Gauls, Spanish and perhaps Numidians.

To be honest though, there is nothing in the models themselves that I have converted especially for the theme.

Offline cadbren

• Librarian
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2020, 03:22:22 AM »
They certainly influenced the Gauls, coins, wine, pottery etc. Don't know much about them other than they were a maritime power consisting of a network of Greek cities along what is now the Mediterranean coast of France - Marseilles, Monaco, Nice, Antibes plus they had cities in what is now Spain as well as Corsica.
It's unlikely they could have established colonies in Gaul if they hadn't had some kind of arrangement with the local tribes. There were probably Gauls in these cities but the city culture would have been Greek just like colonial towns in the 19th century maintained separate identities between the locals and the colonists which lasted generations as those colonies were in constant contact with a wider network of their own people. I suspect any Gallic influence would have been trade based like what the Romans adopted such as various types of wagons, the wooden barrel, various breeds of oxen and horse used for hauling.

Offline Ockius

• Scientist
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2020, 11:55:26 PM »
They certainly influenced the Gauls, coins, wine, pottery etc. Don't know much about them other than they were a maritime power consisting of a network of Greek cities along what is now the Mediterranean coast of France - Marseilles, Monaco, Nice, Antibes plus they had cities in what is now Spain as well as Corsica.
It's unlikely they could have established colonies in Gaul if they hadn't had some kind of arrangement with the local tribes. There were probably Gauls in these cities but the city culture would have been Greek just like colonial towns in the 19th century maintained separate identities between the locals and the colonists which lasted generations as those colonies were in constant contact with a wider network of their own people. I suspect any Gallic influence would have been trade based like what the Romans adopted such as various types of wagons, the wooden barrel, various breeds of oxen and horse used for hauling.

Yes, I see your point about the influence on things like coins and trade goods; I guess I overstated it when I said they did not have much influence and were not influenced much in turn. What I mean is that as far as I can see Massilia was just a city state and did not control much land; the Gauls around Massilia remained independent and remained very much Gauls - they weren't Hellenised in terms of culture or military. The same goes for the Greeks who remained Greek. Basically I don't think I need to make my Greeks look Gallic to fit the theme (more importantly I lack the inclination and skill to convert them  ;), so they'll have to do as is.)

My knowledge on this is very patchy though, so I'll defer to anyone else's authority on this.

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2020, 06:34:59 PM »
So, how do the Victrix EIR cavalrymen compare with the Victrix Republican Roman cavalrymen, or with the Warlord EIR cavalrymen? Are the riders giants?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 11:26:23 PM by WuZhuiQiu »