Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:53:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Cavalry recommendations: Gallic, Numidian, Roman  (Read 6089 times)

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
Re: Cavalry recommendations: Gallic, Numidian, Roman
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2020, 07:47:45 AM »
How could Victrix even sell those Roman cavalry?!

It looks like a man on a child's Merry-go-round horse...

Offline Burnin Coal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2020, 10:06:06 AM »

It looks like a man on a child's Merry-go-round horse...

I am no expert by anybody’s stretch of the imagination but I seem to recall reading that the horses used by the Romans were way smaller than what we have become used to seeing...If I remember correctly they were cited as being closer in size to a modern day pony, which would equate to the proportions you describe
Figures painted 2020 : 100

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2020, 09:14:32 PM »
I am no expert by anybody’s stretch of the imagination but I seem to recall reading that the horses used by the Romans were way smaller than what we have become used to seeing...If I remember correctly they were cited as being closer in size to a modern day pony, which would equate to the proportions you describe

How tall is the figure.

(Look at the 28mm Numidian pictured with it.)

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=112896.0
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 09:19:08 PM by wmyers »

Offline Burnin Coal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2020, 09:41:55 PM »
How tall is the figure.

:o....and then of course there is the photo  lol .....I did say I wasn’t an expert  ;)

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2020, 01:44:18 PM »
How tall is the figure.

If only I might have seen that thread *before* ordering...  :o

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2020, 05:03:00 PM »
I was thinking of ordering the EIR Cavalry and the Gallic Cavalry sets myself. 

I was hoping they would be the same size as the Numidian cavalry.

I really think we need to see more comparisons.

Offline Burnin Coal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2020, 10:35:20 PM »

I really think we need to see more comparisons.

Thanks to my Clash of Spears Kickstarter I have  RoR ,Gallic Cavalry and Numidian cavalry on the assembly line....will get a side by side shot up tomorrow  ;)

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2020, 06:55:33 AM »
Thanks to my Clash of Spears Kickstarter I have  RoR ,Gallic Cavalry and Numidian cavalry on the assembly line....will get a side by side shot up tomorrow  ;)

Great!

Offline Burnin Coal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2020, 03:17:37 PM »
Ok....so.....Victrix cavalry straight off the sprue

left to right - Gallic Cavalry, Republic of Rome, Numidian....in the second photo I placed the Numidian horse between the Gaul on the left and Roman on the right
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 03:26:38 PM by Burnin Coal »

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2020, 08:40:18 PM »

Yeah, the Victrix gallic cavalry are ginormous.  The riders are much larger than the men on foot - bent to ride on the horse they are still as tall.

When I get to doing cav for my Gauls I'll go with the Foundry ones.  I friend of mine has a bunch and they are nice figs.

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2020, 12:20:22 AM »
I suppose in separate units they may not be that noticeable.

I’d like ones I can mix in with my current ones.

I wonder if the EIR cavalry are as big?

Are the heads for the mounted Republican Romans and Gaul Cavalry larger then the foot figures?

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2020, 09:58:05 AM »
I suppose in separate units they may not be that noticeable.

I’d like ones I can mix in with my current ones.

I wonder if the EIR cavalry are as big?

Are the heads for the mounted Republican Romans and Gaul Cavalry larger then the foot figures?

I think that in separate units the cavalry will look fine, even more so when you consider that the different types (Numidians, Roman, Gallic etc) were never mixed but often fought as separare wings or contingents.

I don't know about the EIR cavalry but I am guessing they are the same size as the Roman Republicans.

The heads for all the figures both foot and horse all match and are interchangeable.  For example, I have added Roman and Italian heads to their Greek cavalry and they match fine.

Here are soem comparison shots I made just now:

First up the cavalry from the left: Spanish, Gallic, Roman Republican.

As you can see the Spanish and Gallic match perfectly with the RR a little larger.  However some of the RR figures in the box are even larger and can look out of proportion.

Next are the same nations' foot, from left: Roman, Spanish and Gallic. 

As you can see there has been some very minor scale creep between the Roman and the others but not too noticable and not detectable at all on the table, again when figures are in separate units/contingents.

Finally a shot with the cavalry and foot of the same nations. From left; Spanish, Gallic, Roman

As you can see all the cavalry have slightly longer legs than their infantry counterparts, but this makes them sit well on their horses and does not look out of place on the table. However the difference in proportions of the Romans are very noticable and this makes them look very odd and out of place, even when separated.

I think that this is because both the EIR and Republican cavalry share common bodies and parts and thus have been made to fit the Republican series, rather than the Punic wars stuff.

This scale creep within a range is one area where Victrix should be considered poor, especially since they are designed in CAD and should therefore be perfectly able to keep it out of the equation.

That said, their products are the best on the market and I guess that this doesn't deter the average wargamer from buying their products.

Offline Burnin Coal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2020, 10:35:23 AM »
@Hu Rhu - great info - thanks for that...I agree that as units are unlikely to mix they still work well overall on a table...

I believe that scale creep from CAD can occasionally be a bit of a thing* as another manufacturer I collect had to retool when one of their post render figures came back almost half the size of the rest of their range

*if I recall correctly (unlikely  lol) it was something to do with the algorithms that convert all the program X’s and 0’s into the finished item

Alternatively it might be a case of searching out a different manufacturer’s horse for the Numidian rider perhaps ? Or sanding and filling all the detail off a Gaul or Roman horse to remove the saddle and blanket ? For now I’ll be keeping with Victrix as am very happy with overall quality and value for money

Offline cadbren

• Librarian
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2020, 01:22:45 PM »
A size comparison of some Gallic cavalry.

Victrix, Crusader, Relic, Foundry, Warlord Games, Warlord Games SPQR.

Last picture is a comparison of the Victrix horse with the GW LOTR horse with similar rider.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 01:26:35 PM by cadbren »

Offline cadbren

• Librarian
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2020, 01:48:17 PM »
Regarding the cavalry, the Relic and Foundry match very well but the riders aren't interchangeable due to the saddle being moulded onto the Foundry figures but on the horse of the Relic ones. Both lots of riders are quite small.
The Crusader horse is similar in size to the Victrix but thinner and the rider is smaller, particularly compared to the over long legs of the Victrix rider. The Warlord games rider is similar in size to the Crusader and Victrix riders, ignoring the Victrix leg issue but their horses are similar in size to the Relic and Foundry ones. The SPQR version horse is slightly smaller than the metal version and the riders are chunkier making them look like they're riding donkeys. A couple of the riders have their swords on their left hip for some reason.