Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:40:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686453
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Great Jam Raid  (Read 3758 times)

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
The Great Jam Raid
« on: April 01, 2020, 03:37:24 PM »
The Great Jam Raid - Prologue and Dramatis Personae

The scene is Much-Piddling, home to Lord Snapcase in his palatial residence at Snapcase Hall. The time is now and a rather nasty virus is sweeping the country. As a consequence, the general public have been panic-buying food and there is a shortage on the shelves of the village shop, Arkwrights. Snapcase has received a call from his old commanding officer, Major General Kenwood-Chef who lives in nearby Loose Chippings. Apparently there is a gang of toughs on the loose who are stealing food. Several raids have been made in Loose Chippings and Kenwood-Chef is calling to put Snapcase on the qui vive, as it were. Lord Snapcase has responded to the crisis by making more of his prize-winning blackcurrant jam (Best-in-Show at the 2018 Much-Piddling Village Show, don't cha know). Lady Snapcase has been making Rhubarb Chutney and the two of them together have been making their famous Sloe Gin. All in all, a rather tempting target for the Loose Chippings gang.

Snapcase has put the whole estate on the alert and here are the defending force (stealth rules from Black Ops, Espionage Mission, Village Scenario).

Unknown as yet to Snapcase and his loyal retinue, the opposition are the Sons of Stan gang. They were going to be the Sons of Satan gang but when they had their T-shirts, patches and stationary printed by Chippy Minton in Loose Chippings, Chippy omitted an 'a' in Satan and there they were, the Sons of Stan, led by Cleo Rockarse!

So "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the dogs of war."

Offline GDonk

• Scientist
Re: The Great Jam Raid
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 03:47:22 PM »
I'm so glad I actually had a look at your post - Conflicts That etc, etc is generally a theme I have no interest in whatsoever. Looks fantastic, right up my street. Can't wait to see this develop.  All the best and stay safe.

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 03:47:53 PM »
Many thanks, GDonk.   :)

Set Up & Turn 1

Snapcase hall - the ground floor.

Snapcase Hall - the first floor

Snapcase Hall - the second floor (food crates (room on right) are used to mark the position of the blackcurrant jam, rhubarb chutney and sloe gin).

Various views of the approaches to Snapcase Hall.

Using the stealth rules from Black Ops, the leader of the defenders must initially be otherwise occupied. The leader does not enter the action until he hears the alarm raised by the guards or gunshots nearby. Here we see Snapcase in the drawing room, polishing his Purdey.

Also, in the stealth rules, only half the defending force can patrol in an area of 24" x 18" (the set-up is 4' x 4') in the centre of the board/table. The other half of the defenders are off table until a cumulative dice roll (made at the end of each turn) is enough to bring them on at a random edge as reinforcements. The defending guards must be placed before the attacker decides which side of the board to enter from.

The modern day Peaches Snapcase takes guard at the front of the Hall, near the memorial statue erected in the memory of her relative with the same name, who was brutally murdered on those very steps in 1940 by invading German troops. This was during the attack on Much-Piddling related on my blog as 'On the Day, Went the Eagle's Landing Well?' back at the end of 2018. Also on this forum on the WWII board. Chulmleigh the bulldog (nemesis of the Much-Piddling postman, Peter Hazel) can be seen on the left.

Old Scrotum, the wrinkled family retainer takes guard on the lane between the Hall and the stables.

Lady Snapcase takes position in the back passage of the Hall, a formidable woman this.

...and so to Turn 1. The Sons of Stan elect to enter the table keeping the high brick wall between them and Lady Snapcase. It is night and therefore visibility is considerably reduced. The Sons of Stan want to take advantage of the cover between them and Lady Snapcase.

Cleo Rockarse activates first at the wall, attempts to climb it and falls arse over tit. Definitly a loss of face for the leader (the purple gem denotes a noise token indicating noise made by climbing).

The Sons split into two groups with Cleo (at her second attempt), Gizzard Puke, Sid Snot and Marcel Wave making it over the wall but generating a second noise token. Reg Prescott, Cupid Stunt, Dr. Gitfinger and Honeygander Gooseboote make their way slowly along the wall exterior.

Lady Snapcase hears something but turns to listen and can't identify anything.

The turn ends and the defenders roll a 5 on a D6 which acts as a cumulative score to bring on reinforcements. Snapcase elects to wait another turn as he will gain more reinforcements by waiting. Let's hope the incompetent old buffer knows what he's doing this time!

To be continued...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 03:50:13 PM by Mad Lord Snapcase »

Offline GDonk

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 03:52:30 PM »
wow  :-* :-* :-*. Ok, you're keeping my attention

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 03:53:42 PM »
wow  :-* :-* :-*. Ok, you're keeping my attention

Will try and get the rest of the game finished and posted tomorrow, cheers.

Offline GDonk

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 04:49:37 PM »
feel free to drag it out a bit  . . . . .

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2020, 06:31:34 PM »
.......who was brutally murdered on those very steps in 1940 by invading German troops

Rubbish - she was a neo-Bolshevik, fellow-traveller assassin who got her just desserts. Truth will out.....!

Having put the historical record right, I now settle back to enjoy The Great Jam Raid which promises to be a Snapcase classic.

Doug

Offline skip

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2020, 10:07:49 AM »
very impressive, i will be visiting this again later for an update ! ;)

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2020, 12:28:53 PM »
What a fabulous table! ;D ;D
I wish I were a glowworm
'cause glowworms 're never glum
How can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out yer bum?

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2020, 01:08:59 PM »
feel free to drag it out a bit  . . . . .

I can probably drag out the reporting of the game but Lady Snapcase wants her kitchen table back by tomorrow at the latest!   ;)

Thanks Doug, skip and Pijlie, much appreciated.   :)

TURN 2

Turn 2 and the Sons of Stan activate first. Cleo whispers "follow me" as she moves towards the back of the hen house to keep cover between herself and Lady Snapcase. After, Cleo's fall at the wall, the rest of the Sons inside the wall watch Cleo creep away and then go the other way. I think there may be a vote of 'No Confidence' in their leader at the next meeting at the 'Slug and Lettuce' in Loose Chippings.

Outside the wall, the rest of the gang start to move towards the back gate. As Cleo moves, Lady Snapcase again hears something. She makes Cleo take an observation test. With it being dark and hard cover intervening between the good Lady and Cleo, Cleo only needs 1+ to make the save from being observed. She throws a 1! Technically a save, but a 1 always fails in this game and Lady Snapcase sees movement in the shadows behind the hen house.

She could shoot but it's an unlikely shot with all that cover and she chooses to try and alert the household by shouting "the buggers are in the grounds!". Cleo gains two noise tokens. This is Cleo's view of the back of the Hall.

The rest of the gang move up alongside the wall quietly, but upon hearing Lady Snapcase bellowing like she's riding to hounds, They make a run and reach the gate posts of the back entrance.

Lady Snapcase knows there is somebody there but cannot see well enough to aim at whoever it is. However, in Black Ops you can use suppressing fire. Lady S. unloads both barrels of her Purdey (I gave everyone a double-barrelled 12 bore to make it simple, this being my first go at Black Ops) in the general direction of the hen house. Sweeping the gun from left to right (as she's been trained to do from a young age by Suet the gamekeeper) as if she's tracking a crossing bird, one shot comes close enough to suppress Cleo and she goes to ground behind the hen house.

Cleo now has two noise markers and a suppression marker and the gang outside the wall have a noise marker as well. However, it's the end of the turn. Lord Snapcase had no chance to try and respond to the intruder alert because all his activation cards had gone. 4 was rolled for reinforcements making a running total of 9. The noise markers will be removed as it's the end of the turn but the suppression marker will remain into the next turn to be resolved then.

To be continued...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 01:10:55 PM by Mad Lord Snapcase »

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2020, 01:20:22 PM »
Great game. I so want to get the toys out and copy this...….but too busy. Great fun, well done.  ;)

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2020, 02:45:02 PM »
Awesome looking tabletop, and great names (as usual)! lol

Enjoying this... :-*

Mike Demana

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2020, 08:50:56 AM »
Great game. I so want to get the toys out and copy this...….but too busy. Great fun, well done.  ;)

Thanks Paul. Glad to know you enjoying the madness!

Awesome looking tabletop, and great names (as usual)!

Many thanks, Mike.

TURN 3

Having heard the suppressing fire from Lady S.'s Purdey, Cupid decides to open the back gates. This obviously created noise as they had not been oiled for some time. Her three compatriots moved into the gateway and opened up on Lady S. Six shots were fired by the Sons and all were misses! It was if Lady S. was protected by an invisible aura.

A noise token was taken for each individual gunshot which added seven to the board. The other group decided to try and keep out of sight and maybe gain entrance to the Hall whilst the defenders were distracted by movement in their back passage. They continued along behind the pig sty. As the player, I could see the figures but I decided that as Lady Snapcase could not see them, then she should not react to them yet.

Lady S. had taken her first activation this turn to reload her Purdey, so on her second activation she moved into cover behind the bee hive and let loose with both barrels. Modifiers related to darkness, her movement and range meant she had to throw a 5 or a 6. A 6 was duly thrown and the group at the gate had to take a hit.

Cupid was slightly further forward than the other three, so I decided she would take the brunt of Lady Snapcase's fire. She failed her save and went down like a sack of spuds.

Cleo, the leader of the gang removed her suppression marker from the last turn by remaining crouched behind the hen house during her first activation.

When Lord Snapcase's first activation came up there were enough noise counters on the table to wake him up from his slumbers in the drawing room. He had determinedly worked his way through half a bottle of thirty year old Laphroaig before drifting off to sleep in his armchair. The exigencies of command! Hearing multiple shots from his back passage, the old Lord stumbled out the back door (thus ending the stealth mode part of the game). "Where have you been you old fool?" shouted Lady Snapcase from the bee hive. "Don't worry about that, woman" he replied, "let's get at the buggers, tally ho!" With that 'tally ho' he fired off both barrels and missed completely.

Taking the reinforcement score from the last two rounds and adding a D6 enabled Snapcase to summon all his reinforcements now that the alarm had been raised. They entered from a random edge and unfortunately I threw for the edge furthest away from the intruders. Here we see Sponge the head gardener, Chulmleigh, the faithful bulldog, Miss Spankhurst (a great believer in disicpline) the housekeeper and Young Futtock the chaffeur (a particular favourite of Lady Snapcase).

Marcel Wave and Sid Snot climb over the wall unobserved with Gizzard Puke not far behind.

The three Sons of Stan in the gateway take the opportunity to reload their shotguns and Cleo, discretion being the better part of valour, joins their group. She takes a shot at the Snapcases but misses with both barrels and thus ends Turn 3.

To be continued...

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2020, 02:01:56 PM »
TURN 4

Racing forward from the back gate, Cleo Rockarse thinks to get a quick shot in at her nemesis, Lady Snapcase. Taking cover behind the statue of Sir Francis Snapcase (the man who singed the Queen of Spain's bush) she suddenly realises she is unloaded and stays in cover.

Lord Snapcase makes a beeline for some hard cover and shelters in the lee of the log store. He is also currently unloaded. By now Cleo has got a couple of cartridges up her barrels and lets fly at Lady Snapcase. One hit and Lady S. fails her save, falling to the ground with an aristocratic groan. The Mad Lord can only look on in horror, but his dander is well and truly up now. If Old Scrotum were nearby he would have been dispatched to fetch Lord Snapcase's fighting trousers.

Fighting off the urge to charge into battle (fisticuffs with a lady, would his old friend the Marquess of Queensbury allow it, he wondered?), Snapcase took the wiser course and stayed in cover whilst reloading his Purdey.

Meanwhile, Albert Steptoe (the rag and bone man) makes his weekly visit to the Snapcase Estate crying out "Any old iron?".

Meanwhile Sid and Marcel have dashed to the wall to get in cover. Now that the stealth rules are finished, they can see Miss Spankhurst and her party advancing at the trot, so to speak. Gizzard is not far behind them as he climbs over the wall.

Meanwhile, Cleo has been joined by Dr. Gitfinger, Reg and Honeygander. Reg and Honeygander shoot at Lord S. but all four shots miss. As a group their morale is OK because they need to take more than one casualty to undertake a 'dedication' test. So far, only Cupid has fallen by the wayside.

Old Scrotum has had to break into a run now the alarm is raised. It's not good for the poor old wrinkled retainer but needs must. On his second activation he manages to get into position behind the unsuspecting Sons of Stan and fires both barrels. Unfortunately, with his chest heaving from the run, he only manages to shoot the weathervane off the roof of the Hall.

Miss Spankhurst, Sponge and Young Futtock take cover behind a stone wall, preparatory to firing at Sid and Marcel. Chulmleigh carries forward at a run, he only has melee abilities. Peaches has run from her guard post at the front of the Hall but if you run you can't shoot in the same activation. The three at the wall open fire. They have all moved less than 3" so no penalty on the shooting throw, only the dark and hard cover is against them. 6 dice are thrown and 2 are hits.

Sid and Marcel take a hit each and both fail their saves. They are cut down in the side passage. Gizzard, seeing two of his mates shot down has to take a dedication test but he passes.

So there we have the situation at the end of Turn 4. Lady S. is down but the only casualty from the Snapcase retinue. The Sons of Stan have lost Cupid Stunt, Sid Snot and Marcel Wave. Things are not looking so rosy for the jam-bandits from Loose Chippings.

To be continued...

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2020, 04:11:02 PM »
I feel sure that Lady Snapcase will recover once a large bottle of sloe-gin has been fetched from Lord Snapcase's back passage and a liberal quantity forced between the Lady’s reluctant lips.