Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:39:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Redoubt Miniatures  (Read 6190 times)

Offline fritzy

• Librarian
Redoubt Miniatures
« on: March 17, 2007, 10:45:51 AM »
Hi, can anyone tell me what redoubt British Infantry minis are like from the Zulu War range and the Zulus? Are they copplestone size? and the overall look of them ( good, bad, or just ok)?

Thanks for any help ( before I order a load),

Fritzy

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Redoubt Miniatures
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 11:11:30 AM »
They are slightly larger than the Copplestone figures and not to the same standard of sculpting. Some of the poses are a little awkward. However the range is very,very  extensive and covers just about every troop type for the Zulu Wars.
Some of the Zulu figures are separate body/legs castings so you can make up very individual figures. They look great en masse. I prefer them to the Black Tree Design figures. They also come up larger than these by at least a head.
I have a large collection of them and in general am very pleased with them. So I would say good, but not outstanding, lots of character in them and they paint up well. Sorry no photos to show you.  :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline fritzy

• Librarian
Redoubt Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 11:23:10 AM »
Thanks Malamute, I am about to , or thinking about, ordering from black tree as they have some good offers on (about to run out) but redoubt have good characters. I was hoping to get basic troops fom black tree and officers etc from redoubt. I had a quatermaster from black tree as a free mini which was copplestone size and quite good.
May have to order something from both to see which I prefer

Cheers

Fritzy

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
Redoubt Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 01:51:33 PM »
The Redoubt miniatures are 'stylish'. I like them, they paint up easily. I haven't ordered my Zulu figures yet but they're my next project:
http://www.matakishi.com/zuluwarproject.htm

I have their Sudan figures which are very similar, in fact I have some Zulu war war correspondants to add to my Sudan forces. I also have a couple of Copplestone Rorke's Drift officers commanding some Sudan natives because the size isn't too far off.
http://www.matakishi.com/sudan18851898.htm

I don't like the BTD Zulu War range becaus eof the British helmets they do which are just wrong :(

The BTD Zulus look to be nice figures but dont have the variety of the Redoubt ones.

Here are some of the Redoubt Sudan british:

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Redoubt Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 02:05:04 PM »
Fritzy- Personally I don't think the two match up too well. The Redoubt figures will be quite alot taller.(There was a discussion about this on the TMP, It might be worth looking back over some of the Threads to see other comments.)

Also as Matakishi has said the Black Tree helmets are wrong.There are raised ridges on the helmets which don't look right.
Personally I would go with Redoubt.The range has everything you need. But the choice is yours.  :?:

Nice pics Matakishi!  :)

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
Redoubt Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 09:00:23 AM »
And about the boxer range !

Does any one get the chinese boxers ? With which manucfaturers they could be mixed ?  :)
Frenchy Eric, aka Ch'ti Eric or Re-Animator
"J'ai bon caractere mais j'ai le glaive vengeur et le bras seculier"

http://chti-reanimator59.blogspot.fr[

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Redoubt Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 12:16:13 PM »
The Boxer Rebellion figures are by a different designer, so not quite the same as the Zulu War ones.
Matakishi has a fine collection them on his website  :) :
http://www.matakishi.com/boxerrebellion1900.htm

Nice looking figures :)

I reckon they will blend in well enough with the Old Glory and Foundry Boxers.  :)

Offline fritzy

• Librarian
Redoubt Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 11:10:24 AM »
Thanks guys I finally got a couple from Redoubt and Black Tree. As you said the redoubt minis were very big and also I found the casting not to good and got no response from them to emails. I finally went with the Black Tree and will possibly just trim the ridges off the helmets. Plus they blend in better with anything else I have. The big bonus was that I got the minis in the sale Black Tree kept goingfrom Xmas.
   So thanks for your advice and input now to paint.

Cheers

Fritzy

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
Redoubt Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 12:08:00 PM »
Quote from: "fritzy"
As you said the redoubt minis were very big and also I found the casting not to good and got no response from them to emails.

Business as usual at Redoubt, then. I've never received a reply to any e-mail I've sent them. They do the stuff I ask (like send replacements when I've received the wrong miniature) but they never send me e-mail confirmations that they've done it, which is very annoying. And don't get me started on the casting quality. Many of the Redoubt miniatures I've received have had small bits of mold rubber on them, signifying that their molds are really starting to get worn out. I wonder if they ever mean to remaster their miniatures.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino