Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:10:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686510
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Great Gnolls (or Goblins)  (Read 2471 times)

Offline CarstenR

• Assistant
Great Gnolls (or Goblins)
« on: April 01, 2020, 08:46:49 PM »
Here are some Great Gnolls from Satanic Panic Miniatures.

Great multipart sculpts consisting of body, head and weapons for open hands.

These are made from two body poses. The Miner has a shovel from Trent Miniatures.

Cheers,
Carsten
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 08:31:36 AM by CarstenR »

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
Re: Great Gnolls
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 06:57:43 AM »
Gnolls? They look like goblins, gnolls are hyena type beastmen aren’t they? I suppose being fantasy you can make them look anyway you want though, are these metal multi part?

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 07:21:27 AM »
Nice style of miniature. Love the Gnoll with the shovel.
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
    • https://6mm.wargaming.info
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 07:59:44 AM »
Great figures and they have painted up very well. I must order some soon.

Offline CarstenR

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 09:22:35 AM »
Gnolls? They look like goblins, gnolls are hyena type beastmen aren’t they? I suppose being fantasy you can make them look anyway you want though, are these metal multi part?

Yes, they are metal multi part.

There is an explanation for the Great Gnoll name on the Satanic Panic Miniatures website (http://satanicpanic.co.uk/) and Facebook-page.

In short, it originates in some of the earliest Citadel sculpts, from the Citadel Fantasy Tribes range. These minis are inspired by 2 of those sculpts, clad (and armored) in norman style. The range was later released at Fantasy Tribes Goblins. I guess they are goblins too. They just look different from how the Goblin sculpts have evolved.

The early sculpts can be seen here, if I are interested:
http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Gnolls_/_Goblins_-_FTG_Fantasy_Tribe_(solid_base)
Edit: Somehow, the link doesn't work, because it refuses to accept the last paranthesis. But you can add the last paranthesis into your browser-line, or copy the full name into it.

Cheers,
Carsten

« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 09:41:10 AM by CarstenR »

Offline CarstenR

• Assistant
Re: Great Gnolls (or Goblins)
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 03:14:21 PM »
The Great Gnolls (or Goblins) make a field trip...

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2020, 03:59:09 PM »
Cute sculpts, great brushwork, confusing name.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2020, 04:22:32 PM »
You can do what you want, of course, but I'd really market those as goblins, not gnolls. Great sculpts, though!

Offline CarstenR

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2020, 06:49:20 AM »
Thanks for the comments  :)

I was confused about the name at first, but I guess that I have gotten used to it. I read somewhere that it was a combination of  "Gnome" and "troll".

Apparently there were an army (with a list) in the first edition of Warhammer Fantasy battles. The army consisted of Great Gnoll Infantry, Great Gnoll cavalry (on boars) and Lesser Goblins.

I should add that I'm not selling (or marketing) these, I'm just painting them. But I like them very much  :).

The multi-poses (of head, body and weapon) actually works very well.

Cheers,
Carsten

Offline CarstenR

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2020, 06:16:41 PM »
Here is another pair of Great Gnolls/ goblins and a familiar (I guess).
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 06:34:55 PM by CarstenR »

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2020, 07:21:11 PM »
They are brilliant fun and very old school. Thanks!

Will you be getting cavalry?

Offline CarstenR

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2020, 08:14:27 PM »
Thanks  :)
Yes, I will have cavalry too. I have ordered a bunch. They are being cast.

Offline CarstenR

• Assistant
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2020, 08:31:17 AM »
Strange sightings at the Coldbrook bridge this morning...

Offline Maxromek

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2020, 09:01:48 PM »
Great minis, very characterful!

As to terminology, the modern hyena-like gnoll stems purely from D&D. In original D&D they looked more like "goblins" (although what a goblin looks like is also a massive can of worms) they evolved the hyena features over editions, similarly to kobolds changing from looking like "goblins" to looking like dogs to now looking like lizards. It's because classically all of these terms describe different regional variants of similar folkloric creatures - household spirits, underground sprites, etc.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2020, 09:36:33 PM »
Lovely work on the gnolls. I've got bucket-loads of the Citadel originals that I must do something with, so there's some real inspiration here!

As to terminology, the modern hyena-like gnoll stems purely from D&D. In original D&D they looked more like "goblins" (although what a goblin looks like is also a massive can of worms) they evolved the hyena features over editions, similarly to kobolds changing from looking like "goblins" to looking like dogs to now looking like lizards. It's because classically all of these terms describe different regional variants of similar folkloric creatures - household spirits, underground sprites, etc.

Yes, the D&D hierarchy of humanoids (kobold/goblin/orc/hobgoblin/gnoll/bugbear/ogre/troll) wasn't really distinguished by much other than hit dice until the 1979 Monster Manual, when the animal features appeared (kobolds = dog-men, orcs = pig-men, hobgoblins=monkey/ape-men, gnolls=hyena-men). Before that, they were almost the equivalent of the fighter level names (veteran, warrior, swordsman, hero ...).

It's worth noting, though, that "gnoll" isn't a folkloric term but comes from Lord Dunsany's marvellous story How Nuth Would Have Practised His Art Upon the Gnoles. The first edition of D&D (1974) changes the spelling and mis-spells Dunsanys' name, but acknowledges this link: "A cross between Gnomes and Trolls (. . . perhaps, Lord Sunsany did not really make it all that clear) with +2 morale."

It's a mystery why Citadel went with a gnome/troll look for their gnolls when the other Fantasy Tribe ranges were so closely based on the Monster Manual (something I blogged about in excruciating detail here). The Minifigs gnolls came out in 1977, so actually predated the Monster Manual and may (I've just realised) have inspired the hyena look there (the illustration is a very close match for one of the figures).

EDIT: my mistake - the Monster Manual was 1977 too, so may have come before the figures.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 10:59:33 PM by Hobgoblin »