Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:21:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: TMWWBK Indian Mutiny Project. UPDATE: 14.4.20: Rebel Matchlock Men (p2)  (Read 3315 times)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Jolly colourful. :-*
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Totleben

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
  • Mad wallah, resident sebastokrator
Great result given the obstacles you had to overcome.  :o

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
Some really great brushwork! Those Baluchi will draw a lot of attention on the table!
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Some really great brushwork! Those Baluchi will draw a lot of attention on the table!

That they will. :-* :-* :-*  And no doobt a lot of fire.  lol lol lol

Offline JBaumal

• Mad Scientist
Yes, great brushwork indeed sir!

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
Nicely done and yes, that Foundry yellow triad is a pain.  P3 Paints are your friend.
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
The yellow looks really good Andy  :-* :-* :-*

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
Damn, these are awesome!  :o

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Great painting.
Lots of color on your figures,
well done.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
Re: TMWWBK Indian Mutiny Project. UPDATE: 14.4.20: Rebel Matchlock Men (p2)
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2020, 10:43:10 AM »
Another unit completed for the (fictional) Raja of Rhanipur's army for my Indian Mutiny project. This is a unit of citizen matchlock men. The figures are by Mutineer Miniatures. I kept up the colour scheme from the Baluchis I previously posted, so yellow, purple and pale blue are the theme colours. In reality, these men would have worn civilian native dress, but keeping the theme colours on them keeps the force looking cohesive on the table top as well as adding that splash of Hollywood technicolour that I'm so fond of.

Next up, the first company of HM 95th foot...

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2020, 11:43:42 AM »
Very nice indeed.  :-* :-*  Like the idea of keeping the palette similar th roughout the force.

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2020, 12:53:38 PM »
Very nice indeed.  :-* :-*  Like the idea of keeping the palette similar th roughout the force.

Cheers. Yeah the plan is that the Raja's own personal units will all have the three colours used here throughout - so the Afghan mercenary cavalry will have the tunics in blue and sashes purple, with yellow turbans. Then I've got two units of uniformed sepoys who'll largely be in Company red, then three units of sepoys out of uniform, so they'll be in white, as will the sepoy artillery. I then have two units of mixed sword and matchlock men who are basically civilian insurgents. They'll be in white but will have various colours on the turbans/sashes, including one or two using each of the colours already used in the Raja's own units. As it's just turbans/sashes that will get the colour on these later units, it won't be too garish, but will soften the mass of white and the use of the theme colours ties the civilians to the Raja's own personal forces.

I used a similar approach on my Dark Ages armies years ago, where although the clothing was non-uniform, I limited the palette and kept shield designs limited to two or three key colours, thereby making the whole force look better on the tabletop (well, I thought it looked better...)

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2020, 01:23:44 PM »
Great looking unit  :-*

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2020, 03:51:59 PM »
Cheers. Yeah the plan is that the Raja's own personal units will all have the three colours used here throughout - so the Afghan mercenary cavalry will have the tunics in blue and sashes purple, with yellow turbans. Then I've got two units of uniformed sepoys who'll largely be in Company red, then three units of sepoys out of uniform, so they'll be in white, as will the sepoy artillery. I then have two units of mixed sword and matchlock men who are basically civilian insurgents. They'll be in white but will have various colours on the turbans/sashes, including one or two using each of the colours already used in the Raja's own units. As it's just turbans/sashes that will get the colour on these later units, it won't be too garish, but will soften the mass of white and the use of the theme colours ties the civilians to the Raja's own personal forces.

I used a similar approach on my Dark Ages armies years ago, where although the clothing was non-uniform, I limited the palette and kept shield designs limited to two or three key colours, thereby making the whole force look better on the tabletop (well, I thought it looked better...)

I like the idea! Cheers!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2020, 09:18:23 PM »
Nice work. The uniformed colors will look great on the table and hey may even help with morale  lol
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.