Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:46:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686487
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mad Guru's Kandahar Game post #11 - Sept 6th: THRILL-PACKED CONCLUSION...  (Read 11574 times)

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
Greetings,

In these challenging times, I'm trying to keep my little corner of the hobby alive and kicking.  I hope everyone reading this is staying safe and healthy and that the same goes for all those close to you.  And if you are a Medical Professional on the front lines, or an essential worker helping to keep our society functioning, THANK YOU and Godspeed.

Now to the refreshingly mundane...

Recently fellow LAFer Sparrow was kind (and super fast!) enough to post about this project of mine before I did so myself.  His thread, discussing the start of this project of nine, is here:

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=123331.0

But as I plan to post more about it over the coming weeks and months, I felt I should start a thread of my own, rather than completely take over his, which is the reason I'm starting this thread.  I Just put up the second post on my blog RE: prepping for a refight of the Sept. 1st 1880 Battle of Kandahar, AKA: Battle of Baba Wali.  I was lucky enough to get my hands on a copy of the fold-out MAP of the battle from the British Army's Intelligence Branch OFFICIAL HISTORY of the Second Afghan War, and used it to adjust the terrain on my table.  I also decided -- spurred on by my friend and fellow LAFer Sgt. Guinness -- to extend the table 2', which allowed me to include the second, MARZA/MURCHA/MIRZA KOTAL pass at the far North end.  If interested in reading and seeing more, please feel free to CLICK THE LINK and visit my Maiwand Day blog:

https://maiwandday.blogspot.com/2020/04/battle-of-kandahar-revised-table-layout.html

Here's a taste of the new material...

« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 11:45:29 PM by Mad Guru »
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Mad Guru's 1880 Battle of Kandahar Game Prep - post #2
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 09:18:27 PM »
One Hell of a table ...keep up the great work.

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 10:26:44 PM »
Great table. Will be watching this with great interest. I am sure that it will live up to your normal quality work.
LB
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 10:29:49 PM »
What a beauty, keep going please.
Flatpack

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 05:57:11 AM »
One - anyone who knows Mad Guru's work has no need of teaser pics to link to his blog.  Top notch work.

Two - that map with elevation details is priceless for recreating a battlefield if simulating history is the goal.  Sure, in a modeled playable battlefield there must be compromises but a better informed source map means better thought out compromises.

Three - Salivating over getting to see the rework in its final form.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 07:48:20 AM »
Gobsmackingly impressive MG!!!!!  :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2020, 12:00:00 PM »
Brilliant...
Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!

Offline Eclaireur

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2020, 11:08:24 PM »
This is a fantastic project MG - and the scale of the battle makes it a challenge even for you. A few years ago I had the experience of going into the Arghandab valley in a Blackhawk helicopter that flew around that mountainous ridge in the centre of this battlefield as it took us in. The contrast between the green, fertile, valley and the arid slopes above is very marked.
I will be fascinated to see what you discover about the Afghan order of battle for this action.
EC

Offline JBaumal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2020, 07:34:00 PM »
MG, well, know that I’ve “encouraged” you to add the extra terrain I will do everything I can to assist you with this project my friend. It truly looks amazing already. I’m impressed and am looking forward to your posting the progress.

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2020, 07:51:55 PM »
Very impressive table!

Offline CTMM

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2020, 11:19:27 PM »
Looks amazing Mad Guru.
You always put on a great game.
My first post.

Offline JBaumal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2020, 02:21:58 AM »
CTMM, how true! His games look even better in person. I have to say, your buildings up the bar and raise ante for all of our tables.

I can’t believe it’s your first post!

Cheers,
JB

Offline CTMM

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2020, 03:04:39 AM »
Thanks  JBaumal .I'm not great on the computer, I'd rather build something.

Offline JBaumal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2020, 03:50:58 AM »
Chris, and that you do sir! Our club’s most prized buildings were handmade by you. Both Mad Guru and I use your awesome buildings in every one of our NWF games. I also use them in all my African scenarios for every period.

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2020, 10:30:36 AM »
Looks amazing Mad Guru.
You always put on a great game.
My first post.

@Chris: Seeing your comment on this thread and learning it's your first ever post here at LAF has made my day, probably my week, most likely my entire rest of April!  Thank you, my friend.  I just hope the handful of small terrain pieces I still need to make for this game will turn out half as good as if you'd made them.  Thanks again! -Ethan

@Eclaireur: Great to hear from you here my friend!  I only hope my efforts can rise to meet your expectations!  I think you mentioned that helicopter flight to me once before, and I still envy you for it!  I have managed to get my hands on more and varied primary source versions of the battle than expected, mostly thanks to online digitized books, but the Afghan OOB is virtually identical in all, and consistent with those in the "Official History" and Roberts' "41 Years in India".  However, I did gather one new piece of information very recently, re: how the ground was...

"littered with dead men and horses ... on the hillside North of the village (Gundamullah Sahibdad), where Ayub's cavalry had charged our troops..."

This was on page 213 of "Personal Records of the Kandahar Campaign by Officers Engaged Therein".  A very interesting detail, as that's the first I've ever read about Afghan cavalry taking an active part in the battle in any way, shape or form, other than routing away across the Arghandab after it was lost.

@Jeff: One of the best things about this project is looking forward to hosting you and Last Stand Dan and Capt. Lucas around the table here at my place when it's all done!  Hopefully our schedule will remain intact.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 10:37:19 AM by Mad Guru »