Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 04:00:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Into the Nacht Garten - A Retro Realms of Chaos Project - Now with old Brigands  (Read 5604 times)

Offline Mister Frau Blucher

• Scientist
    • Swords Under Distant Suns
Re: Into the Nacht Garten - A Retro Realms of Chaos Project
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2020, 01:06:25 PM »
This is great stuff! Wonderful painting and imagination. Be interesting to follow along.

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2020, 01:38:32 PM »
You have some wonderful hideous models. Fantastic!
Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2020, 06:40:42 AM »
You have some wonderful hideous models. Fantastic!

This is great stuff! Wonderful painting and imagination. Be interesting to follow along.

Thanks chaps

Offline Pinguinbaer

• Student
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2020, 12:18:13 PM »
I can't decide what is more stunning, your miniatures or your own little patch of the empire, you created. Simply great stuff, thank you for sharing!

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2020, 08:37:45 PM »
Rolph of Untergard - The Cursed Knight

Ludwig Von Schwartz coughed, spat out the offending phlegm and took a big swig of grog. He looked up at the, well attired, young lady and her handsome companion. " If your looking to head into the Nacht Garten you'll need some companions its not a place to travel in small groups" he said. " Don't worry about me old man I'm able to look after myself" replied the young lady. " Because you're a wizard? countered Ludwig. The young lady shot him a brief but surprised look "I'm old enough and have travelled enough to have seen plenty of wizards it doesn't impress me and it won't impress the Garten either. If you go in to the woods with just lover boy here for company" he said pointing at the man " you'll die the woods are full of dead wizards. You need some muscle". The woman sighed "And you have some names in mind, for some coin, no doubt" I can give you some names sure" replied Ludwig "And I can give you the name of one companion to avoid"

"Rolph of Untergrad" Ludwig started in his best story telling voice "Once he was a templar of the White Wolf.  He was banished from the order many years ago.. though no one seems to know why. It's some sort of big secret among the wolf worshippers mention his name to them and you'll, most likely, get some teeth knocked out. Now he travels the land, a lone warrior, seeking something though what that is a mystery. There is no doubt he is a great warrior scourge of those who follow the dark gods. Beastmen, chaos spawn and even mighty champions of the dark ones have fallen beneath his Warhammer. One thing is for sure though who ever fights beside him ends up dead. He was one of seven sell swords hired to defend a village against brigands he and some young peasant girl were the only ones to emerge alive. A couple of years ago he accompanied a band of three dozen mercenaries to track down a band of beastmen raiding on the Marienberg road. A week letter only Rolph emerged from the woods carrying the severed head of a giant beastman chieftain. Its the same story over and over Rolph survives everyone else dies. Now only the most desperate would consider fighting along side him and he carries the moniker of...The Cursed Knight"

Rolph of Untergrad travels the Nacht Garten searching for something though what that is he won't discuss. Those who have met him claim he is an aging, brooding man of pallid flesh and few words. His once fine armour and weapons are now rusted and dirty and he makes no attempt to keep himself clean  or groomed. He seems down trodden and resigned to some fate only he knows is coming. The only time he seems to find energy and vigour is when battle is joined when he becomes a berserk  fighter of great power. His demeanour and the fact that any allies of Rolph's always end up meeting a violent death have meant he is now known as the Cursed Knight.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 08:38:17 PM by Diablo Jon »

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2020, 09:39:30 PM »
Great stuff - I really like that spider-thing and the knight: that's a terrifically doom-laden face!

Offline Pinguinbaer

• Student
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2020, 03:54:22 PM »
I like that guy. The character fits perfectly in your world.

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2020, 07:59:01 PM »
Great stuff - I really like that spider-thing and the knight: that's a terrifically doom-laden face!

I like that guy. The character fits perfectly in your world.

Thanks guys

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2020, 08:04:33 PM »
Jakob Rache - The Doomed One

"...and he that went before now came last, and that which was white and black, and all direction was thrown against itself. Grown mightily indignant at the words of the Gods, Malal did turn his heart against them and flee into the chambers of space... And no man looked to Malal then, save those that serve that which they hate, who smile upon their misfortune, and who bear no love save for the damned. At such times as a warrior's heart turns to Malal, all Gods of Chaos grow fearful, and the laughter of the Outcast God fills the tomb of space..."

—From The Great Book of Despair.

Jakob Rache was a farmer in a northern village on the border with Kislev. He was a happy man who was content with his lot in life.  He had a modest farm house surrounded by fertile land, a pretty young wife and three children he doted on. All that changed when the followers of chaos descended on his village. After seeing his family murdered he was left for dead in the ruins of his burning farm but Jakob didn't die that day. Deep in his soul sparked the fire of revenge.

Jakob followed the chaos raiders North he prayed to his gods to give him vengeance but none answered his prayers. Through sheer will Jakob made it to the accursed wastes but there even his desire for revenge could not sustain him. Finally coming across a strange stone monolith Jakob slid down beside it and waited for death but Jakob did not die that day. A God finally answered his prayers....

Years later Jakob emerged from the Chaos Wastes a changed man he was now a Doomed One a mighty warrior of the renegade god Malal clad in arcane armour and carrying a magic life stealing axe. His constant search for the followers of the Chaos gods to kill has brought him south to the Nacht Garten.

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2020, 07:01:59 AM »
Ghouls

Ludwig Von Schwartz stared in to the fire, lost in his own thoughts, a polite cough jolted him back to the present. Outside snow was falling and the tavern was full of people looking to escape the cold. As was usual, on nights like these, Ludwig had managed to keep himself in grog by telling stories of his old adventures to the tavern's patrons. "ermm yes where was I?" Ludwig asked. A rather tubby merchant from Nuln answered " You where telling us about the time a priest of Morr hired you and your companions". Ludwig nodded "ah yes".

"So there we where in the crypts, under the garden of Morr, in Bogenhafen. The priest said someone was stealing corpses and they need to be stopped he didn't know the half of it. We came across the grave robbers, that night, but they weren't human, at least not any more, and they weren't stealing corpses... they where eating them!" Ludwig continued his story telling of the fear he felt in those dark crypts, the gruesome deaths of his companions and the disgusting nature of his opponents before reaching the last bit of the story.

"and then it was just me and the leader of the monsters left" stated Ludwig " In the light of my burning torch I could see the creature hunched over, with gangly limbs yet it's wiry muscles suggested it was stronger than it looked. It's skin was pallid and only a few wisps of hair still remained on its head. Each hand ended in long filthy claws while its mouth was filled with sharp yellowing teeth. and the stench... by the gods the stench..it was the smell of death. It was a tough fight the creature was fast and fought like a rabid animal in the end though my longsword parted its foul head from its body. That was the first time, and thankfully the last time, I've ever faced Ghouls"

Ghouls are utterly inhuman in their behavior, living off only the flesh of the dead. In form they are stooping and bestial with blotchy foul-colored skin. They have no real need of weapons as they have developed long claws which are encrusted with filth and disease. Long slavering tongues protrude from snarling lips which also reveal their sharpened teeth.

There are groups of ghouls in the Nacht Garten. A legacy of both chaos warbands and starving peasants to resort to cannibalism during desperate times. Of all the areas of the Nacht Garten they seem especially common in and around the Hamlet of Aldusdorf

« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 08:40:12 PM by Diablo Jon »

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2020, 07:16:29 AM »
What a fantastic project. So many figures that are so well painted, and with such detailed back stories too.

The spider thing on the first post is proper scary. As are many of the other models too.

Looking forward (in a hiding behind the sofa way) to seeing more.

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2020, 11:12:13 AM »
Thank you sir. The background bit is quite important to me I find myself coming up with little background stories as I paint. A lot of it stems from the original Realms of Chaos books which had some really evocative little stories scattered through out them which I always loved to read.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2020, 12:26:11 PM »
OUTSTANDING! The miniatures & the setting are wonderfully imaginative & beautifully crafted/painted. VERY WELL DONE!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2020, 07:21:47 AM »
OUTSTANDING! The miniatures & the setting are wonderfully imaginative & beautifully crafted/painted. VERY WELL DONE!

Thank you sir

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2020, 07:27:15 AM »
The Plague Knights Three

Dorf cursed again he was in a foul mood. This was supposed to be an easy trade and re-supply run. He had been sent, along with his brother Kimil and a dozen of their clansmen, with a mule train of ore to trade with the humans in Reinsfield  . Dorf's father was the leader of a small clan of dwarves living in the grey mountains and as such Dorf had been given the responsibility of leading the mule train. His farther had warned him to take the longer but safer route south through the mountains before turning east " Stay away from the Untotenmoor lad" was his fathers last words before he left the mine. Dorf hadn't listened.

At first Dorf felt justified in ignoring his farther they made good progress and shaved at least three days off the journey. But last night the fog had rolled in and this morning he could barely see the arse  of the mule in front of him. They dwarves had set off anyway Dorf prided himself on his sense of direction and he didn't want to waste time waiting for the fog to clear. It had been another mistake Dorf angrily admitted to himself because now they seemed to wandered into some sort of bog.

"Do you hear that?" asked Kimil. Dorf put his hand up and listened at first he wasn't sure but then he heard it " Sounds like someone ringing a bloody bell" said Dorf "sounds like its getting closer to.
Kimil squinted as he stared into the thick yellowish fog "By Grombrindal what is that smell?" Kimil coughed. Dorf was about to answer when he saw something a shape, just a shadow really, in the fog moving slowly but towards them. The hairs on Dorf's neck stood up something wasn't right "Weapons! stand to!" shouted Dorf.

"Fire!" shouted Kimil and a half dozen crossbows clicked together the bolts sailed into the fog one of the shadow shapes seemed to stop with an audible grunt and then carried on shambling closer. Dorf watched through watering eyes, the stench was beyond unbearable now, as the shapes finally emerged from the fog. There where three of them all clad in rusted and filth encrusted armour.  Their pale sickly skin was covered in weeping boil and sores. The first had a head but no facial features and his arm ended in a hooked claw, the second carried a huge scythe and a bell while the lasts ones flesh had all been rooted away revealing yellowing bone underneath.

Dorf smashed his axe into his opponents knee, a perfectly executed move that should have dropped his opponent, the creature didn't even seem to notice. It grabbed his axe with a strength that Dorf wouldn't have thought such rotten limbs could muster. The creature looked down at him "A gift from my father" it said. Dorf's confusion about how a creature with no mouth could speak was cut short as black flies started to pour from the creatures body soon Dorf was surrounded by a swarm of biting buzzing insects. They flew up his nose and crawled through his beard he tried to scream but they flew into his open mouth and choked him. Dorf passed out.

The creature waded through the filthy water of Flybottom Bog revelling in the filth and decay. It was a short create with a scraggily beard, its eyes was large and fly like, its skin was bloated and covered in weeping lesions and its legs where insect like. the creature raised its head and screeched one word "Doorrfff"

The history of the Plague Knights Three dates back to the time of Magnus the Pious. After the great war against chaos there was much work to be done, rooting out the followers of chaos, in the Empire. One such chaos traitor was found in Magnus's court. On discovery the traitor fled North and Magnus dispatched three of his best knights to bring him justice. The knights tracked the traitor to the Nacht Garten and followed him into Flybottom Bog. They become mired in the bog and when a thick fog descended the knights became hopelessly lost. The knights where never seen again. years latter stories started to be told of a trio of hideous "Plague" knights haunting the area around Flysbottom bog. These knights act as guardians of Flysbottom bog protecting Nurgle's sacred sites and visiting the gifts of papa Nurgle on those who enter the bog.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 08:43:32 PM by Diablo Jon »