Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:32:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689761
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Blood's ECW resurrection. P.43. Cuirassiers ride!  (Read 69454 times)

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
I have some Frostgrave female wizard heads and have been considering doing up a couple of female ECW characters to make up for the lack of armed 17th C ladies out there.

After the Captain's splendid example I think I'm going to have to advance that plan and actually do it!

Those look great, looking forward to seeing them painted.

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
Just a thought, but if you want to convert a figure into a female and you mainly use Renegade / Bicorne / Redoubt figures - in other words, the bigger figures available - you could try converting a shorter Perry figure. 

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Excellent conversions.  Very convincing work.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline TheDilfy

• Librarian
@Captain Blood - Love these figures, stunningly beautiful! Did you make the feathers and plumage and sashes from green stuff or are they part of the original sculpt? Thanks.

I've painted three more cuirassiers from TAG.
It's the cuirassier command pack. The figure in the lobster pot was orginally a cornet, but in a minor conversion I gave him a sword instead, as I already have a cornet...

These are now joining Sir George Prettie's Royalist regiment of horse - 'Prettie's Lobsters'.
(Of course, there's no historical evidence that the Royalists ever had fully armoured regiments of horse, as any fule kno.
There again, there's no historical evidence that they didn't, and I bet all those royal armouries and stately homes had plenty of stocks of armour ;))

These two (Bicorne Miniatures) I did some years ago, I've just retouched them up a bit.

And these four were done for me by the brilliant Redzed. Also some years back... (L-to-R, TAG, Renegade, Bicorne, Renegade)

Altogether, they now look like this...

I added these three extra riders because I wasn't too keen on having the two Bicorne personality figures integrated within the unit...
But now, since 'The Pikeman's Lament' requires horse units of six models, I guess I could just get three more, so I can field two units ;)
lol
Climber, Motorbiking, Board gaming and Wargaming

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
@Captain Blood - Love these figures, stunningly beautiful! Did you make the feathers and plumage and sashes from green stuff or are they part of the original sculpt? Thanks.

Thank you. That's very kind of you to say so :)
Actually, the plumes and sashes were all part of the original figures. However, coincidentally, I'm about to add a few more cuirassiers (and half-armoured horse) to my entirely unhistorical Royalist lobster force. And the plain old TYW cuirassiers with swords from TAG, come without plumes and sashes. So I am in the process of adding those from Green Stuff, because I like that splash of colour, and I'd also like the whole unit to look more or less the same in terms of their kit and rig...

The figure on the right is a Bicorne cavalryman (kindly donated by Gibby, thanks David) who will be making up the 6th member of Lady Lucinda Knightley's Troop of Dashing Royalist Horse. And therefore also needed a hatband and feather adding.

In other news...
I've finally got round to painting the Warlord Games Montrose personality figure.
For a man trying to use a telescope, I felt the dramatic, wildly shying horse he comes with (an eBob job, if my eyes don't deceive me) didn't look quite right. So I've popped him on a more contemplative and stationary TAG nag - onto which I've sculpted pistols and holsters using Green Stuff.

Given his garb, which appears to be a slightly strange cross between a tailored coat and the distinctive early-mid C17th casaque, I decided he'd make a suitable officer to round out my troop of casaque-wearing 'blew' dragoons.
So I'm afraid he's no longer James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose - just an unidentified officer of dragoons.
Nice figure though.
(His original melodramatic horse has been given up to a higher cause - as will be soon be revealed here ;))

I painted the rest of these (all Bicorne IIRC, although a couple are on TAG horses), about 10 years ago.

Offline TheDilfy

• Librarian
Re: Captain Blood's ECW resurrection thread... Page 9: The blew dragoons
« Reply #125 on: May 14, 2020, 09:51:39 PM »
(In the voice of Jeremy Clarkson)….Some would say he is in some form of madness, others would merely point out a genius in action, but we all know it is labour of love for @Captain Blood!

Stunning unit and such vivid (a)historical biography too ;) I like them, a lot, and Like what you did with Montrose too  :-* :-*. So, thanks to your madness, genius, labour of love, I have spent the past (damn it) 3 hours looking  o_o at building my French 1640 shock unit(s) and obviously I then had to build a couple of units for the opposition too, much to the demise of my bank balance!

Do continue to share your passion, your conversions and the figures you use to make up your stunning collection. :)

Online Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #126 on: May 14, 2020, 10:14:25 PM »
 :-* :-* :-*

Very crisp work with the Greenstuff too Richard  8)

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #127 on: May 14, 2020, 11:44:04 PM »
cracking unit Richard :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #128 on: May 15, 2020, 09:33:59 AM »
Wonderful painting on the (not) Montrose figure.  :-* :-* :-* He matches your earlier output perfectly.  Can't wait to see Lady Lucinda's troops in colour.  ;D

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #129 on: May 15, 2020, 09:44:21 AM »
Very nice work Richard.  8) Love the changes that bring them all together.  :-*
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #130 on: May 15, 2020, 09:49:50 AM »
They're all Jolly Nice
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #131 on: May 15, 2020, 09:55:30 AM »
Impressive additions Richard  :-*

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #132 on: May 15, 2020, 10:48:12 AM »
fab-a-mundo !  :-*

Offline Arthur