Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:10:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690735
  • Total Topics: 118344
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Blood's ECW resurrection. P.43. Cuirassiers ride!  (Read 69753 times)

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
I agree with that statement @Paul Richardson. The later Germans are indeed much better sculpts.
I see no problems in using them for ECW as musket rests were commonly issued to regiments during the Civil War and even the boot hose that some of them wear, I would explain away as something they picked up whilst serving on the continent. I plan to use them to represent a local volunteer regiment. Similarly the newer German Pike are better too.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 06:42:36 PM by westwaller »

Offline M.P.

• Mad Scientist
    • Barbaric Frontier
They look fantastic  :-*.
My roleplaying/wargaming blog: barbaricfrontier.blogspot.com

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
How many weeks do you have set aside for such a game?

lol

How many turns?  ;D

Gorgeous collection  :-*
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
Westwaller: what you say about musket rests is, I think, true. It may be that what you say about boot hose is true too - I'm not in a position to say one way or the other. The point I was trying to make is that the Captain wanted figures which matched his existing lovely collection so that he could increase the size of existing units, and his existing musketeers I've seen do not carry rests and are not dressed in boot hose, so the TAG musketeer figures in boot hose wouldn't really work for him. 

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
Yeah, I see what you are saying, they would look a little out of place in this wonderful collection. 🙂

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
This is true. But thank you, gentlemen, for your suggestions. They do look very nice figures.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
A small update, a couple of supplementary captains to join my regiments of horse (actually they're TAG TYW colonels, but I think they'll pass muster - the chap holding his lobster pot would make rather a good Cromwell I think - absent the mole on his forehead of course...  ;))

I might post pics of these with their respective troops of horse if I get time to shoot some more pics over the next day or two...

The standing horse has holsters and pistols added from Green Stuff...

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
Re: Captain Blood's ECW resurrection... P.16 These our captains...
« Reply #232 on: July 03, 2020, 05:29:29 PM »
Lovely painting. How did you find these TAG figures? If they're the set I'm thinking of, I found the riders quite small.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #233 on: July 03, 2020, 05:43:24 PM »
Lovely  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #234 on: July 03, 2020, 05:48:01 PM »
They're on the smaller side, yes. Bit bigger than Perry ECW I'd say, but a lot more diminutive than the bulk of my Bicorne / Renegade figures. Less obvious with the mounted figures than the foot figures though.

As I've said before, I don't think Nick's sculpting for TAG is as good as his work in the larger format for Bicorne and Renegade. The mounted figures in particular have weirdly stumpy legs - not that it's too noticeable once they're stuck onto their horses.
Nor do they sit well on the horses. I have to cut / file off the rear part of the saddle every time to get the figure to sit down halfway properly on the mount. (Even then you can see a gap underneath the rider where it's not in contact with much of the saddle, which irks the hell out of me lol)

All of which griping aside, I still think these are very nice figures. I just wish he'd kept on churning them all out in the 'large 28s' format of his Bicorne and Renegade 'period' ;)

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #235 on: July 03, 2020, 06:22:34 PM »
Strange about the fit on the horses. I can only say that I've never had any similar issues with TAG riders, or at least none that I've noticed. But I don't use the TAG horses (nor the Bicorne ones for that matter). I try to mount all my riders in a unit on horses made by the same manufacturer, and select either Perry, Ebob or Calpe horses, as the mood takes me. That's just personal preference, however.

Online Roo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #236 on: July 04, 2020, 08:04:45 AM »
Lovely paint jobs, the richness of your colours is amazing...every time

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #237 on: July 08, 2020, 02:25:20 PM »
Thanks Roo :)

Another update...

The trouble with buying random lots off eBay (as I've been doing recently, to bulk out my ECW collection) is that some vendors (deliberately, I suspect) take pretty ropey pictures so you can't quite see exactly what you're getting. And thus end up with a fair number of duplicates...  ::)
I have therefore essayed some simple headswaps to create new, unique figures. Easy enough with ECW figures, thanks to the long hair and big collars - a little bit of Green Stuff allows making good to be the work of a minute or two...
Here we go...

First, a new unit - Sir Christopher Quarton's Veteran Greencoat Folorn Hope...
The figure in the montero actually isn't a headswap - and the old boy at ease had a serious mould line down his face so I had to rebuild his nose - decided to make him into a bit of a heavy drinker (well, it's nice to have some characters on the tabletop)  lol
The other two are headswaps...

Here's that unit with the two TAG figures recently painted for me by Baner. You can really see how diminutive the TAG figures are, compared to the big boys from Renegade... The Bicorne figures aren't quite so beefy. Strange that the same sculptor, only a few years apart, can produce figures that are the same style but totally different sizes and statures. On the tabletop, the height / stature of the figures is not that noticeable, but the differing sizes of the muskets is a bit of a giveaway... Ah well.

Here are three New Model Army additions - these three all have headswaps (the drummer's head went onto the Greencoat sergeant, above, and a redundant pikeman's head went onto the drummer... )

And a test colour scheme for a new pike unit in yellow coats, yet to be christened... The figure in the soft hat is a headswap...

The new recruits together... Another parcel of rogues :)

« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 02:28:10 PM by Captain Blood »

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
Re: Captain Blood's ECW resurrection... P.16 The Headswap Brigade ;)
« Reply #238 on: July 08, 2020, 02:33:48 PM »
very nice job :-* :-* :-*
I really like the yellow guys

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Captain Blood's ECW resurrection... P.16 The Headswap Brigade ;)
« Reply #239 on: July 08, 2020, 02:35:03 PM »
Fantastic, Richard. You really are an inspiration.

It's making me want to paint instead of sitting here on my ass gazing at a monitor.  :)

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...