Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:43:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Blood's ECW resurrection. P.43. Cuirassiers ride!  (Read 69412 times)

Offline Axebreaker

• Mastermind
Fantastic!! :-*

Christopher

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
Stunning colourful paint work :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
Wonderful!  ;D

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
Those are gorgeous - both the figures and the painting.
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
More great work on those,the colours are just terrific :-*

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Gorgeous as per usual, Richard. I should ask you for a coupe for my wife to wear as pendants for her earrings.

Online Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Gorgeous as per usual, Richard. I should ask you for a coupe for my wife to wear as pendants for her earrings.

lol A little gaudy perhaps, Peder?
(But then, despite a couple of near misses, I haven't met your wife ;))

Thanks everyone for the lovely comments.

Basically, having rediscovered my enthusiasm for ECW (for the fourth time in my wargaming life ::) lol), I'm now filling out the collection (most of which I put together 10 years ago), with various additional figures and units.
Partly this is because I've spotted various packs of figures that weren't available 10 years ago - and I like 'em!
Partly it's to do with reorganising the entire collection to fit The Pikeman's Lament - which I've decided I quite like too :)

Here, as a bonus, are a couple of these newly painted figures integrated into their unit - Astley's Bluecoat Regiment of Foot (There was an historical Astley, but IIRC he was a Jacob not a Richard... My ECW regiments are semi-fictionalised - some with silly names, some more historical... )

You can see from this, the slight difficulty of integrating new figure into old units... Especially if you're a fuckwit, like me, and fail to have a colour reference of the original unit in front of you when painting the additional figures to make up the numbers!

The original unit was painted for me (along with about 100 other ECW foot) by the brilliant 'Baner' (still an occasional visitor to this forum) about 10 years ago.
They're a mix of Bicorne and Renegade figures, all by Nick Collier.
Let me stress: Apart from the two new command figures, this unit is painted by Baner and not by me.

As you can see, working from memory, not only have I failed to quite match the blue of the coats or the yellow of the officers' sashes, but there are some stylistic differences too.
Baner uses - or on these figures anyway, at that time, used - a much more high contrast method than I use these days. His skin tone is much paler than my ruddy-cheeked fellows. And he paints eyeballs, which I never have.
Not that any of these differences are remotely apparent at tabletop distance, or even from more than about eight inches away TBH. However... I shall be more careful in future...

Anyway, here they are:

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
One would expect the officers to be more finely dressed, so I think the slight variation is perfect  8)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 03:16:47 PM by Silent Invader »
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
Marvellous. I suspect slight colour variations would be more authentic. Because the cloth would be dyed by hand I would imagine one bolt would be more likely than not to be a slightly different colour to the next.

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist

Sorry, Richard, I misread your post - I'm under pressure to vacate the pc because our 15 - year old needs it for his school work. I think that officers would probably have worn their own clothes - so would not have worn the uniforms given out to the men. Therefore officers wearing something different is, I believe, correct.

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
Sorry, Richard, I misread your post - I'm under pressure to vacate the pc because our 15 - year old needs it for his school work. I think that officers would probably have worn their own clothes - so would not have worn the uniforms given out to the men. Therefore officers wearing something different is, I believe, correct.

I agree. I believe that officers in general (no pun intended  ;)) wore their own clothes. Certainly Field Officers did. A junior officer such as the Ensign may have worn a uniform coat. But whatever, your figures look superb. Keep them coming.   :-*

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
As you can see, working from memory, not only have I failed to quite match the blue of the coats or the yellow of the officers' sashes, but there are some stylistic differences too.

I keep a document with all the colors I use to paint my various troops. It helps me if I return to an old project but more often than not is more confusing then just eyeballing it.  ;)

Baner uses - or on these figures anyway, at that time, used - a much more high contrast method than I use these days. His skin tone is much paler than my ruddy-cheeked fellows. And he paints eyeballs, which I never have.
Not that any of these differences are remotely apparent at tabletop distance, or even from more than about eight inches away TBH. However... I shall be more careful in future...

In many cases we are our own worse critics. If you can't see the differences on the tabletop well... end of story in my book.

Overall, it is a wonderful unit. Looking forward to see more!  :-*

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
The painting's great but the Rick Rolling is a bit passe Richard  lol
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
 Fantastic figures.   :-* :-* :-*  I agree that the slight colour variation is hardly noticeable unless you point it out. 

Also you got the basing matching which makes the whole unit blend in really well.