Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:34:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Blood's ECW resurrection. P.43. Cuirassiers ride!  (Read 68322 times)

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
Terrific stuff.  Like seeing stills from the Cromwell film of the 70s.   :)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Terrific stuff.  Like seeing stills from the Cromwell film of the 70s.   :)

Spooky ... was just thinking the very same.

So much to like in this thread, I found myself going back to the start again 8)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God

So much to like in this thread, I found myself going back to the start again 8)

lol thanks Matt

Offline henerius

• Bookworm
Well done armies, nice cinematic battlefield. That must be a joy to play with!

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
You gotta hand it to the good Captain, when he sinks his teeth into a chosen period he really goes to town! That's one helluva set up. People are very jealous! Enjoy the games!
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
I was lying on the floor and shooting the picture upwards...
Apparently that’s how they shot all Sylvester Stallone’s movies too ;)
Also the Semper Opera in Dresden was shot for a beer advertisement in this way. I was so dissapointed when I saw the Opera in real. Ask a guy from Dresden if the original Opera is hidden in another part of the town (He shouted something like "Typical guy from west germany!!!"). So next time at BLAM we all walk on knees except Nick, ok?
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Also the Semper Opera in Dresden was shot for a beer advertisement in this way. I was so dissapointed when I saw the Opera in real. Ask a guy from Dresden if the original Opera is hidden in another part of the town (He shouted something like "Typical guy from west germany!!!").

o_o o_o o_o

So next time at BLAM we all walk on knees except Nick, ok?

No one is going to fall for that trick, DD!
 ;D ;D

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
Truly stunning m’Lord. I csn only bask in your shining light.

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
That's the thing most of us frequent visitors dream of. You're living the wargamer's dream.

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
When I look at some of the Units and scenes depicted in these photos , I’m immediately reminded of the illustrations the great Rick Scollins had published in the wargaming magazines of the 80s and 90s. I can’t think of a higher praise than that .

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Thanks gents - those are very generous words, thank you :)

Yes, I well remember the late, great Rick Scollins' gorgeous ECW paintings in Military Modelling. I kept them all for years - the pages with his pictures, not the magazines. Wonder what happened to them? Lost in a house move somewhere along the way I guess.
His art was certainly a strong formative influence on me, so maybe a little of the Scollins aesthetic did rub off along the way :)
There was a man who died much too young - only in his mid-forties I believe. A great loss to illustration. His passions for folklore, folk music and dance, and English history were the same weird mix as mine.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
Cracking stuff guys :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
I've just added some more buildings to my C14th - C18th town... These will do for Wars of the Roses and ECW and all points in between (and about 100 years either side :))

Having seen Digits' excellent work on his Total Battle Miniatures (TBM) WW2 buildings - and having never come across this company before - I thought I'd try a couple. So I bought a half-timbered row of shops and a barn.
These are from their 'Black Powder Europe' range of 28mm buildings, and do look a bit Mitteleuropa, but will do perfectly well for late Medieval through to Horse and Musket era England...

The TBM buildings are 50 quid each (unpainted), post-free. Which I think is blinking good value and a lot of resin for your money. They're rather nice: large, quite chunky. Good detailing, although slightly grungy casting in a few places. Also with some hairy residue clinging in places. Don't know if this was an attempt to model wattle / daub / animal hair infill, or just some by-product of the casting process. A bit odd. I got quite a lot of the looser stuff off, but you can see some of it still where I just sealed it in place...

The top storeys of the buildings lift off so you can place figures inside, although there's no interior detailing.

Here's the row of shops... A bit wonky, but I think that's intentional.

Close-up...

Three angles on the barn...

At the same time, I also bought another Grand Manner house - the double bay version of one of the buildings I already had.
This range of medieval town buildings was was sculpted by Tony Harwood, (our very own Dampfpanzerwagen here on LAF), rather than by Dave Bodley (Mr Grand Manner himself). Unfortunately, several of them no longer appear to be in the Grand Manner catalogue.

It's a much more finely detailed creation than the Total Battle Miniatures buildings. There again, since Mr Bodley will now only sell his products painted, this little beauty set me back a princely £174 including P&P :o
Which I feel is rather a LOT, even for such a lovely model.

On the plus side, it does have painted interior detail on both ground floor and first floor - floorboards, doors etc.

This is the 'wargames standard' paint option. Not bad, although fairly basic TBH. It does save a lot of time though, because painting the two TBM buildings was quite a lot of work...  ::)

Anyway, here are the three new buildings along with some figures for scale, showing various other angles and backed up with some of the rest of the town... This is about half of it. I can now more or less fill a table with town!

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
Re: Captain Blood's ECW resurrection. P.35. A half-timbered cornucopia!
« Reply #524 on: November 30, 2020, 05:03:16 PM »
Very nice but expensive
I am sure a  man of your talents could build better