Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:51:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Blood's ECW resurrection. P.43. Cuirassiers ride!  (Read 69414 times)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
It has been interesting watching the correlation between the growth of this thread and the sudden rise in the price of Renegade ECW figures on eBay!  lol

I noticed that as well  lol
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Thanks all :)

More great work Captain!
It has been interesting watching the correlation between the growth of this thread and the sudden rise in the price of Renegade ECW figures on eBay!  lol
 Maybe that drummer is from one of the selection of Bicorne command groups? The drummers can't be seen in all of them as they are in the back row.

lol
Not sure about that correlation, but you might be right :)
I've bought rather a lot off eBay myself over the past several months, although managed to get pretty good prices on most lots. (I've stopped now - enough is enough!)

The drummer is a mystery. I'm pretty sure the drummer figures lurking in the back row of the pics of the 'later' Bicorne ECW command packs are all variants of the figure with the drum slung on his back.
There is a drummer figure very similar to this one in the Scottish command pack - but in bonnet etc.
But this actual figure I can't see anywhere in the range. Weird. Perhaps he was never released but managed to get out there nonetheless. It does happen. 

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
That is very lovely work there Captain!

Though I won't get involved in the Scone Wars (lived in Devon for a while, had to keep quiet about my Cornish sympathies), I for one can't help feeling that Sir Joseph Maplin should have been involved somewhere. Maybe he sold Sir Hardress the yellow coats.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 01:01:05 AM by Red Orc »

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
The drummer is a mystery. I'm pretty sure the drummer figures lurking in the back row of the pics of the 'later' Bicorne ECW command packs are all variants of the figure with the drum slung on his back.
There is a drummer figure very similar to this one in the Scottish command pack - but in bonnet etc.
But this actual figure I can't see anywhere in the range. Weird. Perhaps he was never released but managed to get out there nonetheless. It does happen.

I may have a solution to the mystery.

My recent purchase of BIC-ECW016 - Foot Command (Mixed headgear) came with two drummers, one of whom is a dead ringer for yours. That said - and as you’ll note from the photo - I’ve already reallocated his head elsewhere. It was definitely a floppy hat head, though I can’t remember which mini I’ve attached it to so cannot be 100% certain that it was exactly the same pose.
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
wonderful paint-work.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God

I may have a solution to the mystery.

My recent purchase of BIC-ECW016 - Foot Command (Mixed headgear) came with two drummers, one of whom is a dead ringer for yours. That said - and as you’ll note from the photo - I’ve already reallocated his head elsewhere. It was definitely a floppy hat head, though I can’t remember which mini I’ve attached it to so cannot be 100% certain that it was exactly the same pose.

Even weirder. That’s one of the original six figure command packs sculpted by Nick Collier, and already includes that slightly goofy drummer boy in the montero. Can’t see why they would bung in an extra drummer sculpted by someone different- and he’s not shown in the pack photos... odds bodkins!
Thanks anyway Steve :)

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Captain Blood's ECW resurrection... P.23 Sir Hardress Waller's yellowcoats
« Reply #351 on: August 01, 2020, 12:40:22 AM »
Actually, there's not much of a mystery there, Richard : the original Nick Collier command sets contained six miniatures until the Bicorne owners decided to standardise their foot packs. This means the command packs had to be brought up to eight figures to match the price tag of the rank and file packets. So two non-Collier figures were added to the original four command sets and boy, can you tell the extra figures are by a different hand...

I recently bought a couple of ECW19 packs to add a bit of variety to my TAG TYW battalia command and here are the two miniatures in the set that weren't sculpted by Nick (the standard bearer is not too bad, if a bit too chunky for my taste, but the non-Collier drummer is dreadful, with a completely wrong anatomy and a compressed upper body - his crotch is located where his navel should be)  :

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #352 on: August 01, 2020, 09:12:46 AM »
I've seen similar anatomical problems with other Bicorne foot figures - too long in the leg, too short in the body. These figures are in what I suspect are later packs - so probably they weren't sculpted by Nick either. 

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #353 on: August 01, 2020, 09:42:40 AM »
Arthur, merci beaucoup mon brave - you have solved the conundrum.
Pity they haven’t updated their website accordingly  ::)
Nor have they used the pretty pictures of a few of their packs I sent them (although they did say thank you).
I do wonder about some miniatures manufacturers, really... when it comes to showcasing their products on their websites, some of them seem clueless. Still, that’s their lookout I guess.

Actually I quite like that officer / standard bearer. Ah well...

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #354 on: August 01, 2020, 10:27:16 AM »

Yeah, it can be very confusing particularly as the pop up images are so small.  :-[ It's always reassuring to know what you are buying.

Nor have they used the pretty pictures of a few of their packs I sent them (although they did say thank you).
I do wonder about some miniatures manufacturers, really... when it comes to showcasing their products on their websites, some of them seem clueless. Still, that’s their lookout I guess.

That does surprise me. Free exquisitely painted advertising  ??? ??? ???

If were were running a mini company I'd jump at the chance.  The TAG award scheme is an idea that other companies could adopt. It's a great way of both awarding customers and showing off ones products to boot.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #355 on: August 01, 2020, 11:54:27 AM »
Yes, the TAG scheme is great - although I do worry for Pete's balance sheet. I have about 50 quid's worth of credits waiting to be used up lol

Meanwhile, here's an interesting thing one doesn't usually get the opportunity to see, so thought I would share.
Although I've tried to avoid too many duplicates in my ECW collection, by the time you get to 350 figures, particularly when hoovering up odd lots indiscriminately off eBay, you do end up with a few.
Here's a Renegade officer, which I now have three examples of - interestingly one painted by me (left), one by Redzed (centre), and one by Baner (right). The first two have just been painted. Baner's version was done about 10 years ago.

Comparisons are odious and I am emphatically NOT looking for 'that one's better than that one' type comments.

Just thought it was an unusual opportunity to see exactly the same figure painted by three different painters side by side. Interesting to note the small variations in techniques, blending, colour choices, treatment of different textures, etc.

Overall though, they work pretty well together :)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #356 on: August 01, 2020, 12:34:39 PM »
They're all lovely.

They will work just fine together as they are all layered. Different styles but hey, that's not a bad thing at all.

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #357 on: August 01, 2020, 02:33:07 PM »

I'd chalk down the absence of better pictures to a lack of time, as the day to day routine of running a company keeps interfering with grand plans of a complete site overhaul. Taking better photographs of a full range is a time-consuming process and as a result probably one of those continually postponed "we'll get around to that eventually " plans, which means the older pics inherited from the previous owners keep being used on the website.  .

Online Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #358 on: August 01, 2020, 04:11:56 PM »
That's a great picture Captain. Where the differing style really shows up for me is the treatment of the faces; less obvious in the painting of the cloth, belts, etc.

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #359 on: August 01, 2020, 05:01:59 PM »
Lush  :-*