Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:17:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689637
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Re: Folk Horror Terrain - Wall update & rough ground scatter  (Read 3620 times)

Offline Flinty

• Librarian
Re: Folk Horror Terrain - Wall update & rough ground scatter
« on: April 08, 2020, 05:29:56 PM »
Like many, I have time on my hands at present and have decided that I have no excuse not to crack on with essential work. Bugger the kids, wife, housework, garden and DIY, build terrain!

Inspired by Wirelizard, Anevilgiraffe and Silent Invader, but woefully less impressive at every level, I am creating an unsettling vision of somewhere on the border of West Sussex and Wiltshire around the 1640's *cough*, when wicked and ungodly individuals meddled with infernal powers and the Righteous smote things - along with anything else I feel like squeezing into it.

So to make it look right, Im going to attempt to show the beginning, and then, break a habit of a life time and get to the/an end. We shall see...

Apologies for the crap photos.
First off is a start on the the Big House, where strange lights are seen flickering at night and unearthly howls echo from the scullery... although I wish I'd textured the beams first.

Hoka Hey/Timeline Wealdon House (based on the Weal & Downland Museum original), bit of daz squidged into the frames, leaded lights being added to the window frames. Nice sturdy kit, good size and not expensive. The beams look a wee bit 'fantasy' to me occasionally, but  I was too lazy to whittle them down to my taste. I,m quite pleased how the shrinking Daz has pulled  away from the beams; gives a hint of an abode of one who dabbles with Alchemical arts rather than keeping up with the Jones's.

The Pious amongst the villagers need some sort of refuge from blasphemous doings - handlily provided by the old parish church. I went with a rendered finish. The Victorians were very keen on removing this (in my world anyway), and I wanted it to look pretty (ok, very) rustic and ramshackle. I breifly contemplated pushing several thousand small stones/bits of cat litter into this to make it look like flint - but thankfully realised that was moronic, and went with some half-hearted stonework instead.

I would point anyone at Anevilgiraffe's thread and use of wallpaper for flint.

Saxon/Norman church from Timeline/Hoka-Hey.

I have, amazingly, finished some scatter terrain - so long-term residents (hopefully, but probably not...) of the Churchyard:

And for those with differing religeous inclinations, a location at which to cavort with the Spawn of Satan:

I can make a circle and a nice Avenue out of these - I think a Long Barrow is also going to be required.

I need to source some village housing - somethin akin to the 4Ground cottages, but cheaper (Furlough means a pay cut, but thankfullly not redundancy, yet). So I'm thinking a basic mdf box with some balsa wood beams and the daz treatment will do the trick.

The next milestone will be doors and windows and then basing and finishing the Manor & Church.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 04:30:23 PM by Flinty »

Offline Swordisdrawn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
  • '
    • Sword is Drawn
Re: Folk Horror Terrain
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 05:36:46 PM »
They look really good. I m a keyworker so not had much building time after work. WW2 is usually my bag but these look bang on :o
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn and the scabbard thrown away!'

Instagram Swordisdrawn264

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 09:15:24 PM »
Great work, well the beginning is there... Now hold on and finish them all :D  I mean; what good is being cooped up, if one can't actually see a few projects through to the end, eh ;)

I especially love your idea of the loose dolmen. They can be positioned in any pattern; why didn't I think of that? I'm so going to pilfer that idea! I mean; I was actually thinking of how large my (mandatory) stone circle should be, but that won't be an issue anymore...

Keep it up sir; you're inspiring people here!  :D
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 12:42:58 AM »
Great project! I think you and those LAFers you mentioned might be onto something with this Renaissance Horror thing too: great gaming potential.
I especially love your idea of the loose dolmen. They can be positioned in any pattern; why didn't I think of that?
Yeah, I think I will have to make some too. :D

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 12:47:47 AM »
Great looking buildings and scatter - I look forward to seeing more.

Tony

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 01:34:08 AM »
Inspired by Wirelizard, Anevilgiraffe and Silent Invader, but woefully less impressive at every level, I am creating an unsettling vision of somewhere on the border of West Sussex and Wiltshire around the 1640's *cough*, when wicked and ungodly individuals meddled with infernal powers and the Righteous smote things - along with anything else I feel like squeezing into it.

You've put me amongst august company there, with my little weird ECW project, but thank you, I'm glad to have helped inspire you!

Hoka Hey/Timeline are a new company to me, looks like they have some good stuff - bookmarked against future needs.

Looking forward to seeing how this progresses. I need to get my gun-gnolls and the whole pack of werewolves/demonic dogs/etc all finished. Lots of fussy greenstuffing on the gnolls coming...

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2020, 04:51:46 PM »
Some great ideas here, will be following with great interest.

Offline Flinty

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2020, 05:14:08 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement chaps, running a thread is keeping me at it.

Ah! - thank you Tony. I dug out your Saxon church (re)build article in WS&S (Iss. 84, July 2016), and rushed headlong into experiments with Daz. 

...I'm glad to have helped inspire you!
.. I need to get my gun-gnolls and the whole pack of werewolves/demonic dogs/etc all finished. Lots of fussy greenstuffing on the gnolls coming...

Yep - I blame you. Looking forward to seeing those Gnolls and your dogs. Im pondering some folk-lorish hounds, but will probably diverge from the English descriptions of the Gabriel hounds (albino dogs? not scarey.) and stick with the Wiltshire Balck Dog, along with Werewolves, of course.

I was hoping to complete the church, but poor planning means I am waiting on the valiant Postie for materials, and a scheduled trip to the supermarket tomorrow to replace the battery on my flocking machine.

In the meantime I thought I'd start prepping some hedges and an abandoned redoubt - I need a mass burial in the locale so wanted to hint at previous military activity.

Ive also been pondering how to construct dry stone walling for the big house - a more rustic version of the below. Im not keen on scribing or random rock piles, so was looking at cutting out several hundred-too-many tiny bits of foam and tin-foiling them.

Luckily I thought of transporting the Cornish versions across the country; as these can be quite thick, I could clad a chunk of something and finish with some greenery on the top. But mainly because there are fewer/larger stones (I can cast these in plaster) and I wont go as blind/mad.

I haven't seen/don't remember any decent commercial versions in 28mm (obs railway stuff aside) - but hey, this is all about building stuff (with bought bits).

Photos of progress, dissapointing or even otherwise, tomorrow!

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2020, 08:50:59 PM »
Ian of Fenris Games does drystone walls with exactly the same capping style as your first photo. He was in the middle of relocating his workshop when all this COVID stuff hit so he's warning of possible delays, but I believe his resin casting facility is still up and running.

https://fenrisgames.com/shop#!/FGBKWA04-Drystone-walls-straight-pair/p/10434792

There's curved bits and I think junction bits elsewhere in his webstore in the same style. I don't own these specific walls but I have other resin bits from Fenris and they're lovely sculpts and very clean castings. (here's some of his Norse runestones I did up last fall: http://www.warbard.ca/2019/10/27/fenris-games-runestones/ )

« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 09:01:33 PM by Wirelizard »

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2020, 02:05:47 AM »
Brilliant stuff :-*
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Flinty

• Librarian
Re: Folk Horror Terrain - Chruch done.
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2020, 04:33:16 PM »
Ian of Fenris Games does drystone walls with exactly the same capping style ... I have other resin bits from Fenris and they're lovely sculpts and very clean castings

Cheers for that. Agree, I've bought bits from Ian, including his silicone flagstone molds, and have always been impressed. I hadn't checked his site as last I heard he was closing shop.

I think in the interests (of sanity and) supporting Fenris I will spend some money, but might plug away at a scratchbuilt version and see how it goes.

I have finished the Church, but my flockbox stopped, so the grass is less than vertical and I also found out I only had one uniform length, someone has been grazing sheep on Church land....Verger!

I could briefly develop a charge in the walls but not on the ground surface - very odd and very annoying as it was a top notch bit of kit.

Crappy phone photos again, but its probably doing my standard of work a favour by being out of focus.
There is some weathering on there, honest, its just been bleached out very stubtle.

The ivy is a bit....rudimentary, my inclination rapidly wained as I struggled to stick dried sage on with pva, and then I realised it was too light.

The one thing I have learned is that I  need to develop patience and plan properly - my hedges need redoing, not least as the railway flock I'm using is a tad on the lurid side. I have also decided that I want to go for an autumnal theme, high summer isn't the season for life and death stuggles with the demonic.

Still waiting on Postie for brick sheeting for chimneys, roof tiles, mdf boxes and now a new static applicator. Cracking on with some more scatter - thought I'd try and create some brambles with teased out rubberised horse hair - don't hold your breath.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: Folk Horror Terrain - Church done.
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2020, 05:27:32 PM »
This is a great project - am enjoying the progress  8)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2020, 07:41:14 AM »
You are doing some lovely work there, good luck with this project.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2020, 08:44:19 AM »
Great thread  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2020, 10:06:41 AM »
Nice houses  :-* and carved stones!

And the roof slates seem to have been installed by competent roofers, not by drunken orcs as it often apparently happens.  :D