Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:40:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690815
  • Total Topics: 118353
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Frostgrave AAR - More Ruins Added 11/09/2020  (Read 3319 times)

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Frostgrave AAR - More Ruins Added 11/09/2020
« on: April 13, 2020, 09:08:43 PM »
Back to Basics?

A new player, our first cooperative game and a couple of new warbands - so why not go back to the original rule book and play "The Mausoleum" as it's the first scenario. Playing cooperatively, we followed the warband creation using the "Perilous Dark" rules and agreed that to generate random monsters from treasure tokens we would roll two D20, rather than the usual one. Being the first outing of the new warbands none of the characters are named ...

The "Witch" warband comprised of wizard and apprentice, thief, archer, infantryman and treasure hunter. The "Necromancer" warbands was fairly similar having wizard and apprentice, thug, archer, infantryman and treasure hunter. The starting positions would be opposite board edges.

The Witch Warband

The Necromancer Warband

The game area

After placement of special treasure tokens, ordinary tokens and two random skeletons we were ready to play. The Necromancer, thug and archer set off a pace towards the first token, whilst the Witch and a couple of her accomplices did the same.

The Witches apprentice and infantry women head off towards the first treasure token ...

... and end up encountering an armoured skeleton.

On the other side of the board, the Necromancer and his infantry man and treasure hunter investigate one of the special treasure tokens.

And are rewarded with a skeleton!

The Witch manages to cast her telekinesis spell and moves one of the treasure tokens closer to the board edge.

Whilst the Necromancer deals with a random encounter with a ghoul.

Once all the treasure counters were claimed and any wandering monsters dispatched, the warbands, made it back to their base and sorted out the treasure. As a cooperative game, we pooled the discovered potions and equipment ready for use in the next adventure.

Most of the ruins are either MDF kits from Blotz or Items from Gale Force 9. Miniatures are from various manufacturers and the cobblestone mat is from Deep Cut Studios.

RMZ
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 10:58:39 PM by Ramirez Noname »

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Frostgrave AAR - Cooperative Play
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 09:33:58 PM »
More cooperative play in a thawing Felsted - this time “The Worm Hunts” ...

Siona Smartblaze, the Witch and Siprith the Necromancer have once again delved into the depths of the ruins to grab some more loot and the elusive scrolls and grimoires.

Both wizards have agreed to mutually share any finds; their war bands are a bit depleted and both apprentices are busy researching something about a museum.

The ruins ready for exploration ...

Both war bands head out ...

... and start to encounter some less than welcoming inhabitants ...

... and something that really focused their attention ! Luckily enough Siprith’s zombie was still happily ambling about , before gaining the instant attention of the Worm.

Fabius, the infantry ratman, was uncomfortably close to the creature but some lucky hits managed to down the worm ... just as Smartblaze summons an uncontrolled imp right next to the dying worm.

The rest of the war and grab the treasure and make a run for it ...

Siona Smartblaze and her successful war band ...

... and Siprith and his band of ruffians.

Another enjoyable game of collaborative play which also provided a couple of good laughs from mistimed spell casting. We think the imp is still causing chaos in the district.

Miniatures from a variety of manufactures, cobblestone mat from Deep Cut Studios and ruins are a mixture of resin, MDF and scratch built.

RMZ
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 09:35:29 PM by Ramirez Noname »

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Frostgrave Ruins
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 08:15:22 AM »
New sections of the old city of Felsted have been discovered !

I decided a few more sets of ruins were required to allow for greater variance in our campaigns. Out came the supply of blue styrofoam sheet and I first put together a ruined gatehouse.

I was surprised how quickly this came together.

A couple of coats of Matt black acrylic paint ...

... followed by highlighting using progressively lighter shades of blue/grey and grey/white. Adding the flock and some areas of stippled light brown makes the colours really “pop”.

I also quickly made some small ruined sections and piles of rubble from the offcuts.

More ruins will be in production ...

RMZ
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 10:16:12 PM by Ramirez Noname »

Offline LiamFrostfang

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 10:05:24 AM »
 8) way cool stuff!!!

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2020, 11:17:22 AM »
Well done AARs.  Love the ruins.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2020, 06:36:52 PM »
Excellent work Ramirez, I’m really glad people are managing to keep gaming currently (and it’s helping my withdrawal twitches :)). I love you ruins, simple and elegant but not sacrificing quality and aesthetics to achieve it, bravo! I wish people at our club would have an interest in Frostgrave.

Keep it up,
BALM
Beneath A Lead Mountain - my blog of hobby procrastination and sometimes even some progress
https://beneathaleadmountain.blogspot.com/

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2020, 10:14:12 PM »
8) way cool stuff!!!

Thank you  :)

Well done AARs.  Love the ruins.
Thanks. More ruins to come  :)

Excellent work Ramirez, I’m really glad people are managing to keep gaming currently (and it’s helping my withdrawal twitches :)). I love you ruins, simple and elegant but not sacrificing quality and aesthetics to achieve it, bravo! I wish people at our club would have an interest in Frostgrave.

Keep it up,
BALM

Hi BALM, thanks for the positive comments  :) I’m quite lucky that my wife enjoys playing Frostgrave too, especially as a cooperative game. There are some useful pointers in the “Perilous Dark” expansion on cooperative play, and how to make the scenarios even more challenging.

RMZ

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Frostgrave - Skellies...
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2020, 10:15:07 PM »
Felsted Undead

At long last I managed to get the Mantic skeletons built and painted. These are great figures with plenty of options for increased variations. I distressed the shields to give a veteran look to these undead characters.

Looking forward to using these.

RMZ

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2020, 10:36:27 PM »
Great job on the ruins Harvey - as one would expect from a man of your professional interests  ;)
Nice looking warband too. Very gloomy  lol
I really must try Frostgrave one day. I have a lot of the figures. But never played the game.
Yet.

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2020, 10:52:10 PM »
Nice Skellies,  the ruins are top notch too.
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2020, 10:46:20 PM »
Nice Skellies,  the ruins are top notch too.

I thank you  ;) :D

Great job on the ruins Harvey - as one would expect from a man of your professional interests  ;)

Thank you, Richard ... I’ve even got a couple of church’s still standing (just) lol lol lol

I really must try Frostgrave one day. I have a lot of the figures. But never played the game.
Yet.

Perhaps one for BLAM ?

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
More Ruins For Frostgrave
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2020, 10:59:49 PM »
More Ruins

I was pleased with how the ruined gatehouse turned out, so I decided to build another large scale set of ruins, but introducing some changes in level this time.

Nearly finished the lining out ...

... and the finished piece.

Looking forward to using this in the next scenario.

RMZ

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
Re: Frostgrave AAR - More Ruins Added 11/09/2020
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2020, 12:37:19 AM »
 Great looking terrain in this thread.

Very nice work with the blue foam.I really like the different floor tiles that you have done in the different rooms too.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2020, 01:29:20 AM »
The foam work is great :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2020, 01:53:55 PM »
That is the first time I’ve seen Mantic miniatures and liked them, I’m not sure what you did Ramirez but I suspect witchcraft! Ruins are excellent - I had made some similar but gave them all to a friends son when he started gaming so he’d have instant scenery (it worked he’s hooked  ;) ) and still haven’t replaced mine.

Keep it up, stay safe and well
BALM