Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:44:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690464
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Golgotha's Old West Town and Miniatures  (Read 2670 times)

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
Golgotha's Old West Town and Miniatures
« on: April 15, 2020, 07:13:25 PM »
Howdy

Herewith my Wild West town and miniatures.

See more on my blog, BMC Miniatures, here: https://frictionbmcminiatures.blogspot.com/

Steaming into town. Note the miners tent city next to the railway line.

The main road of the town.

Rather useful water towers.

A better view of the steam train's water tower showing nozzle. Train still needs a repaint.

Lots of characterful story telling opportunities. I find in these sorts of games I land up roleplaying more than wargaming.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Golgotha's Old West Town and Miniatures
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 03:38:02 PM »
Great stuff
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 05:48:27 AM »
Nicely done.  Might consider back dating your train passenger cars - the ones you have look a bit too "modern" for the Old West (depending how far back your Old west goes, I guess). 

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 08:48:45 AM »
Looks great!

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 09:38:45 PM »
Thank you folks.

Fifteens Away you are right the train is way too modern and also a tad large. So herewith, pictures of some of my other trains.

First up is Hornby Toy Story Train. Which is a tad on the small side. Looks great in the distance and certainly looks the part for an Old West game.

I do like the weathered dusty look and indeed the model train comes this way.

Wargames foundry miniature helping provide a sense of scale.

Note water tower in the background. Ideally this train requires more rolling stock.

Perfect reason to attack the train - its carrying gold from the mine.

The engine. I also use this for my 1/72 American Civil War miniatures. For which it is great for bringing up supplies, reinforcements and sometimes I hope some artillery support.

This last one here is a toy I picked up which looks ok. Will need a repaint. I just do not always want to be using the same train or for that matter same looking town for every game. Miniature, my Train driver and engineer from Foundry.

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 10:01:07 PM »
I am hoping to add ultimately a Mexican style town which will make an ideal target for these Apache to attack. Geronimo for instance distinguished himself in many Apache raids against Mexicans. I need therefore to also complete painting of my Mexicans.

We hardly ever seem to see the back of miniatures.

Herewith, also some Cacti. Many of the commercially available Cacti are rather expensive. I also wanted Cacti of a good size and number, which could provide cover. I decided therefore to make some using pipe cleaners. Unfortunately, I could not find a suitable colour and therefore had to paint these. They do give the impression of being prickly. Yet are nice and soft to the touch.

Cacti shown with Wargames Foundry Apache so as to give an indication of the size.

I have made 12 in total. I am unlikely to make more than this. I do at some point want to get the Pegasus Cacti in 1/72 for some small plants could use perhaps for detailing bases.
See: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/pegasus-hobbies-6508-cactus-plants-small--226710

Overall, I am happy with the appearance. Should help add a bit of fun and for that matter colour to my Old West games.

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 12:40:30 AM »
Herewith, some Old West Britannia Miniatures. I do like these characterful miniatures. They are also comparatively very well priced. They paint up relatively well.

See: https://www.grubbytanks.com/product-category/britannia-miniatures/28mm-ranges/28mm-the-wild-west-new-britannia-figures/

See more here: https://frictionbmcminiatures.blogspot.com/2020/04/golgothas-wild-west-town-and-miniatures_52.html

« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 02:02:35 AM by Golgotha »

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2020, 12:19:24 PM »
Incredible work! If only I had more time and resources I would love to do Western genre as well. Much respect to you mate.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2020, 01:34:06 AM »
Golgotha, your trains look good, the caboose and combination passenger car work a treat, the vault car is a bit Hollywood but who cares.  The first locomotive works great, has the proper wood burning stack.  The 'toy' locomotive doesn't fit the Old West look for me but maybe by the time you are done with working on it that will get resolved (and it sports an oil burning stack from what I can see).  The weathering on the train is good - though keep in mind that engine men took great pride in their locomotives and kept them clean as a whistle.  The railroad engineer was the astronaut of his day, so to speak.

Like the cacti, too, they do look prickly.  Might add just a touch of dry brush in a lighter green. 

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2020, 02:08:42 AM »
It is a great looking town for western gaming. 
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2020, 02:21:31 AM »
Thank you Rick and Syrinx0, it does the trick.

I find given the box like appearance of Old West buildings that these paper variants work surprisingly well and to be able to get a whole town down on a table after very little time and money is a bonus worth considering, even as an interim measure.

I am planning on at some point getting a nice saloon with interior as that is one building around which games tend to focus.

I am also considering floor plans for the buildings so as to allow indoor action.

Herewith, some Old West Wargames Foundry Miniatures. The majority of my Old West collection is by Foundry. They are perhaps by today's ever increasingly large standards on the smaller side. Being originally more true to 25mm as opposed to 28mm or heroic scales.

See: https://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collections/old-west

Cheers Fifteens Away will perhaps revisit cacti with a highlight - the problem being that as they are soft. lol. So usual dry brushing may be tricky. Your railway advice is ace. Must get round to doing something with the last engine.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 02:48:28 AM by Golgotha »

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2020, 04:55:52 PM »
Herewith, a Windmill ideal for Old West and or Boer War etc. settings.

It is a HO OO railway model so a tad small for 28mm. Would perhaps work in the background for 28mm. It will certainly serve my purposes well as a bit of Boer War scenery. Just need to construct a suitable farm house to go with it. I am also considering a water dam which are typical of the South African landscape and normally found next to one of these. May need to consider scratch building a bigger one or purchasing a MDF laser cut variant.

See more pictures here: https://frictionbmcminiatures.blogspot.com/2020/05/golgothas-terrain-wind-mill.html
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 04:58:04 PM by Golgotha »

Offline skip

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2020, 05:51:46 PM »
A nice town you have there Golgotha,

Brian

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2020, 11:15:04 PM »
Cheers Brian

Herewith, some Longhorn cattle.

28mm Longhorn are available from Britannia Miniatures.

See: https://www.grubbytanks.com/product-category/britannia-miniatures/28mm-ranges/28mm-the-wild-west-new-britannia-figures/

These miniatures come in two parts as the horns are seperate. A little bit of green stuff can help to meld them into the rest of the Longhorn's body.

Two types are available, namely; head up or head down.

Size comparison with Foundry cowboy. for more pictures see: https://frictionbmcminiatures.blogspot.com/2020/05/golgothas-wild-west-town-and-miniatures.html

« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 11:52:06 PM by Golgotha »

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2020, 02:04:17 PM »
Those longhorns look nice though it seems someone bred a carefully chosen brownish herd as opposed to the much more common "blotchy" colored longhorns.   ;)