Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:42:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: WIP of Japanese aeronef monitor in 28mm  (Read 20877 times)

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: WIP of Japanese aeronef monitor in 28mm
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2009, 12:35:36 AM »
Nice to see someone else is collecting Japanese   ;)

Amongst other things  ;) (but mainly Japanese  :D )

Rear gatling gun is done and it does look better, fits in with the hole feel of things. There's also a shot of the main/only prop and when I get the hull done tomorrow we'll be cooking with gas (well, steam at any rate  ;) )

Gatling gun

Main prop

There will be side mounted aerofoil thingys to help stear and very probably a bowspirit of some kind and a rear flag pole (I quite fancy doing a bit of simple rigging)

Once again, cheers for all the positive comments

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2009, 04:50:12 AM »
Great start. That ship is really looking good. Good luck finishing it, and keep us apprised of your efforts. Thanks for sharing.
Regards,
Hitman
 8)
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2009, 08:38:19 AM »

@ gamer mac - The clear discs are laser cut perspex off cuts that I've accumalated over the years (I work for an architectural modelmakers). Your welcome to any ideas, it's all for the greater good anyway  :D

Dream job for a scratch builder.
I am extremely jealous of all the bits and pieces you have for building things.

The Gatling gun fits very well and is very well built.  :-*
My only wee niggle with it is that it looks front heavy. May just be the angle of the photo. But I think the body could do with moving back a bit.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2009, 08:55:03 AM »
James, those scratch-built Maxims and Gatlings are miniature works of art  :-*

I take it most of the parts are plastic card and rod that you get from railway model shops etc and the rest are perspex leftovers from your job? I used to be very keen on plastic modelling in my youth, so I'm tempted to get the craft knife and plastic card out again - even with the risk to my fingers  ;)

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2009, 07:29:39 PM »
Being a modelmaker certainly does have it's advantages  :D The trouble is, I've got so many things I want to do there's not enough time in the world to do them all  lol

Most of the stock styrene I use are left overs from work (I go bin raiding fairly often) and I think you're right about the gatling, I'll see about moving it tonight.

Have hull, will travel...

Hull fron the front

From the rear

Three-quarter from underneath

I should have the construction finished this weekend including a base (what sort of height do people generally mount their ships at?)

Left to do...

Base
Stearing foils
Railings (have some small chain on order)
A couple more stowage details
Hull trim
Landing skids/feet
Bowspirit and flagpole
Rigging
Knobs on the wheel
Flag (Nihon maru)
Possibly a few panel details

For the paint scheme I'm using the back of a 'Mikasa' kit box as reference. Dark grey hull and funnels (with white bands), medium/light grey for superstructure and a tan colour for the decking. I'll probably put a white stripe somewhere around the hull as a bit of extra detail.

cheers

James

Offline Tom Reed

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2009, 08:27:32 PM »
Personally I wouldn't go higher than a foot off of the table. 
I think if you add some panels like you said, especially on the undersides, that will help a lot. How about some sort of bottom hatch, maybe double doors for loadins/unloading cargo. Could also be usefull for aerial assaults.
Jane! Stop this crazy thing!

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2009, 01:01:44 AM »
I think if you add some panels like you said, especially on the undersides, that will help a lot. How about some sort of bottom hatch, maybe double doors for loadins/unloading cargo. Could also be usefull for aerial assaults.

You mean like some sort of bomb bay doors?

I've put a few more bits on tonight but it's late so I'm going to bed  :`

I've moved the gatling housing back a bit and it does help  :)

cheers

James

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2009, 08:17:06 AM »
Seriously impressive stuff. ;D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2009, 11:05:38 AM »
Seriously impressive stuff. ;D

Totally agree.

She's looking splendid!

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2009, 01:17:38 PM »
Do you paint the Japanese crews yourself?

They are  :-*  8)  :-*

If so you’re booth a very talented modeller and painter… I’m jealous now!  lol
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2009, 12:13:17 AM »
Once again chaps, many thanks for the ind remarks.

I did some work on the aerofoils today and have almost got them finished, one thing remains is to decide wether I want them removable for easy transportation, if so then there is going to have another strut between the bottom and the hull. The railing for the top deck is done but silly me, I forgot to take a picture  ::)

SIde view

Three quarter view

And a slight close up of the Captain, I'll post some more of the crew tomorrow

I have some brass rod on order for the railings around the main deck but it won't be with me for another few days, so completion is slightly postponed  :(

I've been thinking on other 'nefs' to do and one that came to mind was some sort of carrier. Not carrying planes but tiny one or two man 'nefs' that are attached to the side of the vessel with dereks, say, four per side, this would leave room on the deck for guns, flying bridges and all that ironclad goodness  :D I might sketch something up tonight and post it tomorrow. It'll be a big bugger though  :D ;)

I think that an order to Pulp Figures might be in order soon  :D

One more question, I have it in mind to make some opposition, now what would people's suggestions be? Russians are a possiblilty because I really like the tumblehome of some of their ironclads (and with tensions between Japan and Russia in this sort of era it makes sense). Pirates might be a good choice aswell, lots of smaller craft and some of the Pulp Figures minatures are cracking  :D

cheers

James

Offline Tom Reed

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2009, 01:50:38 AM »
i think either Russians or Chinese aerials pirates would be cool.
I hadn't thought about bomb bay doors. I was thinking maybe the hatch would open and guys would drop down onto their target.

Online marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2009, 02:11:31 AM »
I would be very interested in how you planned to crew the proposed mini-nefs.  I have two projects on hold right now based on toys from Dennys and Burger king.  The burger king toys are little dirigibles that have a kaleidoscope inside.  They are just the right size to suspend a cage underneath for a one man observer or attack balloon in 25mm/28mm. I was just wondering if there were any minis out there that would be particularly good as pilots. Fantastic project by the way!
LB
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2009, 08:24:22 AM »
Hey Jimbibbly, just joining in the chorus of praise with a belated entry.

Well done that man!  :)
Don't!

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2009, 09:37:13 AM »
i think either Russians or Chinese aerials pirates would be cool.
I hadn't thought about bomb bay doors. I was thinking maybe the hatch would open and guys would drop down onto their target.

Chinese might be quite good, again, historical antagonists  :)

I think with it being a monitor it wouldn't really have a large troop capacity so probably for this one just normal entry and exit from the deck (troop carriers later  ;) )

I would be very interested in how you planned to crew the proposed mini-nefs.  I have two projects on hold right now based on toys from Dennys and Burger king.  The burger king toys are little dirigibles that have a kaleidoscope inside.  They are just the right size to suspend a cage underneath for a one man observer or attack balloon in 25mm/28mm. I was just wondering if there were any minis out there that would be particularly good as pilots. Fantastic project by the way!
LB

Do you have any pictures, I've had a quick look on both the BK and Denny's sites but nothing's there. I was thinking some of the Copplestone Chinese/Russian machine gun crew with sculpted goggles and possibly flying helmets. I've had a browse around and there are plenty of standing/action pose flying figures but not a lot sitting.

I'll be posting some more stuff at some point this afternoon.

cheers

James