Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:22:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Questions about This Is Not A Test terrain density  (Read 845 times)

Offline GeoffAO

• Lurker
Questions about This Is Not A Test terrain density
« on: April 16, 2020, 12:57:49 PM »
Google has failed me (or I failed to use it properly). I'm working on a table set up for This Is Not A Test. I'm not sure how much terrain to have on the table. We will be using Tabletop Simulator to play for obvious reasons. I've been modeling 3d terrain for the game, and I'm trying to decide if I have enough. I'll attach the pictures of the table, I would appreciate any advice.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
Re: Questions about This Is Not A Test terrain density
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 02:12:11 PM »
Not knowing any specific rules about terrain placement for TNT, I would say that it looks plenty dense overall. In my opinion, most of terrain placement is a matter of taste. Obviously the real world is full of wide open fields with nothing in them, and cramped urban environments with countless nooks and crannies. So depending on where your adventure is taking place, I'd just aim for something that feels about right.

With that in mind, terrain density often offers advantages to certain play types. Want to take long shots with a sniper rifle, or launch missiles with a large area of effect? That is going to be useless in tight confines. Want to hack someone to pieces with an axe? That is a bad call if you have to cross wide open spaces to reach an enemy with a gun. A good mix, as I think you have in your pictures, will help everyone have fun and make some tactical decisions along the way.

Offline GeoffAO

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 03:57:05 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. My Infinity tables are often accused of being too sparse, so I may tend to get a little insecure. I'll look it over once more to make sure there are areas that may trigger tough tactical choices or offer unique opportunities.

Offline Deathwing

• Mad Scientist
    • World's End Publishing
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 11:10:45 PM »
Looks perfect to me. I have a basic rule of thumb that there should be enough terrain generally to allow a model to go between terrain pieces with two actions or less.  So about 5" or so between pieces, with 10" possible. I like a crowded board.

Looking forwarded to seeing what you come up with.
Joseph McGuire, President/Janitor at World’s End Publishing; producer of the upcoming post-apocalypse skirmish warband game This Is Not a Test.

https://www.facebook.com/TNTGame

http://worldsendpublishing.com/