Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:54:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689762
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 40mm AWI progress  (Read 2526 times)

Offline Alan Mercer

• Scientist
    • Alan's Wargaming Miniatures
40mm AWI progress
« on: April 20, 2020, 04:11:02 PM »
One positive about having to stay in is being able to make some progress on some dormant projects.

So the 15th Foot gets a second base (only 12 months or more after the first was finished). I need a much more detailed brush to add the cap badge, all I can manage is a collection of squiggles at the moment!

The opposition also gets a start, in this case some North Carolina Militia.

The aim was originally going to be 1777 Philadelphia campaign ( hence the 15th) but I then read ‘The Southern Strategy’ and realised that more of that was achievable without spending a vast fortune and it was more interesting. So Savannah onwards is now the aim. At my current painting rate on this, i’ll have enough ready for a game in about 2025.

The 15th went off to the West Indies and wasn’t involved in the south, but they can stand in as something else for the moment.

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: 40mm AWI progress
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 04:22:26 PM »
They look amazing  :-*

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 04:23:21 PM »
Super work, well done sir!! :)

Offline ian220756

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 04:53:06 PM »
Alan
Super work as always , glad you posted , we’ve got to keep flying the flag for 40mm !
Ian

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 07:42:15 PM »
Awesome!   :-* :-* :-*

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 08:20:21 PM »
Very nice  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2020, 10:55:36 PM »
One positive about having to stay in is being able to make some progress on some dormant projects.

So the 15th Foot gets a second base (only 12 months or more after the first was finished). I need a much more detailed brush to add the cap badge, all I can manage is a collection of squiggles at the moment!

The opposition also gets a start, in this case some North Carolina Militia.

The aim was originally going to be 1777 Philadelphia campaign ( hence the 15th) but I then read ‘The Southern Strategy’ and realised that more of that was achievable without spending a vast fortune and it was more interesting. So Savannah onwards is now the aim. At my current painting rate on this, i’ll have enough ready for a game in about 2025.

The 15th went off to the West Indies and wasn’t involved in the south, but they can stand in as something else for the moment.
I find some of the Trident sculpts hit and miss when it comes to marching. The miniature with the  arm forward is very out of scale. Also a couple of the marching figures crouching look a little ungainly. in many cases the trident faces can be over exaggerated slightly with broad noses which can take away an elegance.
I have just retired 4 units Trident of 20 continental line as I was never satisfied with them. No matter how well painted they just didn't look quite right to my eye in marching position.
I have no problem with the trident firing line positions, I find you have to be selective but be careful can produce a very good effect.
Trident tend to be great with characters figures such as Indians, skirmishers . These  play to  sean Judd strengths but personally I don't think he's mastered and elegant line formation matching.
Saying that I have used trident hessians and use just one marching position with head swaps and my French 40 mm trident in an advancing position are very effective.
For my main marching  line l use front rank 40mm as they are far more structured and give a superior feel.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 11:02:02 PM by Lysandros »

Offline Alan Mercer

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 08:10:12 AM »
I know what you mean. Some of the character models are very good, some of the rank and file just don’t work but you can pick those that do. For me it is the cost of getting them. Postage and customs and handling charges make them an occasional luxury.

I like the Front Rank figures, but the British are all in full dress, so, unless Alec produces a few campaign dressed codes, it will need to be Trident. I don’t mind a limited number of poses, as long as there are a few head variants - Alec, pleeeeease.

I can’t work with the Sash and Saber AWI range, the heads are difficult to get right without creating curved muskets and they are much smaller. Trident and Front Rank are similar in size.

I suppose the ultimate aim is get some figures onto the table.

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2020, 09:08:06 AM »
I know what you mean. Some of the character models are very good, some of the rank and file just don’t work but you can pick those that do. For me it is the cost of getting them. Postage and customs and handling charges make them an occasional luxury.

I like the Front Rank figures, but the British are all in full dress, so, unless Alec produces a few campaign dressed codes, it will need to be Trident. I don’t mind a limited number of poses, as long as there are a few head variants - Alec, pleeeeease.

I can’t work with the Sash and Saber AWI range, the heads are difficult to get right without creating curved muskets and they are much smaller. Trident and Front Rank are similar in size.

I suppose the ultimate aim is get some figures onto the table.
For late war I use American front rank line in cut down coats ( no lace) as late war British. They work very well but of course are not in roundabouts. My guards brigade are done like this with floppy hats .You have to improvise but can get good results.
I have Trident , the 33rd late war with round hats marching , short jackets , painted excellently by Tony Runkee but the sculpts are inferior in posture , the unit just does not look as good as others.
Alec unfortunately will not increase the range as they never sold in any great numbers. Alec games mainly early war and he has completed his own collection. He did buy some trident jagers to finish off bits and pieces.
I only use sash and Sabre for my Highlanders in trews . Trident only have them in kilts, my black watch are in kilts but the 71st I wanted in trousers for late war. Being selective you can make a decent unit, the detail is not so crisp but as a whole they look fine on slightly raised bases.
Yes I suffered at the beginning from just wanting to get units on the board but as time has gone on I found less is more.
Very good luckand very interested to see how your project goes.

Offline schoey

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2020, 12:48:17 PM »
Excellent paint job on the figures.  The Southern campaign is very interesting and lends it self to everything from skirmishes with not many troops to battles with quite a few troops. Glad to see 40mm on parade.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2020, 03:05:52 PM »
First rate painting for both units but I'm really impressed with your Americans! Superb!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline CHALLY

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2020, 03:37:36 PM »
Beautiful work on those.

Offline Alan Mercer

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2020, 03:53:34 PM »
My snails paced progress continues. These are starting off as the Georgia Continentals and Militia at Savannah 1778, they will morph into Lytle’s light Infantry for Briar Creek (or the remains of the Georgia troops) then they can be used for many other Regiments if I add a suitable command base.

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2020, 07:44:05 PM »
Great work!  :-* :-* :-*

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2020, 09:00:19 PM »
Great sculpts and brilliant painting.
Inspired me to do a firing line