Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 23, 2021, 03:10:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 40mm War of 1812  (Read 1039 times)

Offline AdmiralAndy

• Assistant
Re: 40mm War of 1812
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2020, 02:18:56 PM »
Which Ruleset(s) are you using?

Offline Alan Mercer

• Librarian
    • Alan's Wargaming Miniatures
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2020, 02:45:35 PM »
I'll try it with General de Brigade first as I'm familiar with that set and it scales up to 1:10 easily. I'll have a few trial runs to work out the best movement rates etc.

I'm not a fan of Black Powder, not sure why, it just isn't my kind of rules I suppose.

There's plenty of others out there, if I can't make one set work, I'll try another.

While we're still in some form of lockdown/restrictions, I'll be playing against my youngest son (22) whose gaming experience is Warhammer 40k, so it will need to be easy to pick up and move along fairly rapidly - maybe BP is the one to go with after all! We'll see.

Offline IronDuke596

• Bookworm
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2020, 06:14:22 PM »
I have been using General de Brigade, for many years along with a growing addendum to reflect War of 1812 aspects. I understand the fast play attraction of Black Powder but it does not have enough granularity to satisfy my needs. British Grenadier (in the same family as GdeB) is also suitable for this period but I do not like the concept and tracking of disruptions points.  Otherwise it has same look and feel of GdeB.

I agree with your reasons as to the enjoyment of War of 1812 gaming. I particularly like the fact that all battles are sized at division and below, which makes it easier to accumulate enough figures to game any battle.

I am really enjoying watching your steady progress of your outstanding collection. Thanks. BTW the West Indian battalions will be suitable for the Battle of New Orleans.

Offline MiniPigs

• Bookworm
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2020, 04:55:48 AM »
I wouldn't hold my breath for the Sash and Saber West Indian figures. The sculptor seems to have thrown in the towel. I think there have been 4 new 40mm packs in the last three years.

I have the British Grenadier rules but I have to say as much as I want to like them, they put my mind to sleep. It could be I do too much reading for work to want to read a lot of jargon for ply-time. I am more of a Neil Thomas man.

Also, recently looking at Osprey Honours of War. Might be good for War of 1812 because there weren't to many columns to worry about. Although we would need some rues for Indians etc.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 05:00:12 AM by MiniPigs »