Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:16:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690587
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Newline 28mm Assyrians  (Read 2831 times)

Offline madaxeman

• Scientist
    • Madaxeman.com
Newline 28mm Assyrians
« on: April 24, 2020, 07:07:48 PM »
I almost literally stumbled upon the Newline 28mm Biblical ranges at the Attack! show in Devizes in Summer 2019. Newline Designs were a company I had mentally pegged as just being a 20mm manufacturer (so I'd almost walked straight past them) but my eye was caught by a show offer on a 28mm Assyrian army, with a range of figures I had no idea existed. I wanted/needed an Assyrian army for an event that was supposed to have taken place earlier this year, so checking them out the figures turned out to be really nice, and with the at-show discount an army worked out at a lot less than half the price of the equivalent figures from Foundry as well (which I'd been steeling myself to fork out for at some point in time for quite a while, but without actually taking the punge).

I bought the army pack there and then, and of course subsequently bought a shedload more by mail order to give me more options in the army, and less than a year later here are photos of the infantry from this 28mm ADLG-based army.

(It's "decent wargaming standard" painting rather than some of the staggering stuff you see here, but I'm chuffed with how the figures came out, so hey...)

From the back you can clearly see the really nice detail on the armour.

(This is just a few of the photos - there are loads if you go to this link on the main Madaxeman.com site at https://www.madaxeman.com/main/28mm_Assyrian_Infantry.php)

I'll also post photos of the cavalry and chariots in this thread when I upload them over the next few days
Web: Madaxeman.com
On Twitter: twitter.com
On Facebook:  facebook.com
Devon holiday?: The Captains Cottage Brixham

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
Re: Newline 28mm Assyrians
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 08:37:07 PM »
They look good to me.   :)

Offline Mad Gadgeteer

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 04:36:42 AM »
Nice...  didn't know they made those.  Have you checked out those offered by Warlord Games?
"May the dice of your God's roll like the breasts of your favorite concubine."  Graeme "Henry" Henderson, Dumfries c1980

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 05:52:59 AM »
Very nice.  I have Foundry Assyrians which are superb but as you say now very expensive . I bought a Newline 28mm Hittite army a few years ago again taking advantage of one of their "show offers" . I have also mixed in some of the Warlord ( ex Cutting Edge Miniatures" figures. A very nice army.   

Offline Burnin Coal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 07:50:05 AM »
Great looking army....some of the posts I most enjoy are the ones long term projects come to life so congratulations on finishing the beginning as it were....looking forward to seeing more
Figures painted 2020 : 100

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2020, 09:01:50 AM »
Newline produce some lovely stuff in all sizes, the Assyrians look very good and you have done a super job on them. :)

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2020, 09:25:47 AM »
Nice to see these painted up.
Always fancied a chariot army and Newline seem to be a decent choice.

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2020, 09:27:58 AM »
Nice army.  Don't be so hard on yourself, your painting is good.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2020, 11:29:38 AM »
Well done. I cleared out my Hinchcliffe (25mm) Assyrians as I was never
going to get around to doing a whole army AND an opponent army...
However, I have always wanted Assyrians, ever since reading the poem
at school ('The Assyrian came down like a wolf on the fold, his cohorts
were gleaming in purple & gold').
Now I will have to look at Newline, maybe a skirmish?

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2020, 11:50:21 AM »
Lovely looking army and the brushwork is a good standard, well done.

Cheers,

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2020, 11:55:49 AM »
 Nice army!
One of the things I could relate to about your first post was your unexpected finding of a bargain, I can imagine your joy at finding just what you needed.
The best thing about Assyrians is their curly crimped haircuts...didn't they have chariots though?
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline The Gray Ghost

• Mastermind
  • Beware The Gray Ghost
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2020, 07:18:31 PM »
Nice work, Newline's biblical range is one of my favorites.
I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it anymore and what is it seems weird and scary.

Offline madaxeman

• Scientist
    • Madaxeman.com
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2020, 10:12:04 PM »
OK, so here are the Cavalry.

Not quite as good painting-wise as the foot, as I'm a bit lazy/unskilled on the whole "horse painting" front but the mass effect I think is OK. The Newline figures themselves are als still great, as even with only one set of cavalry the three different poses in the pack, as well as separate shields and spears still give a decent variety.

These 12 horses are supposed to be pulling chariots - I made a mistake in mixing them all up on the undercoating table, and then compounded that mistake by mis-counting how many of each type of horse I actually had (15 "normal" ones and 16 "chariot pulling" ones). It does mean these guys have some serious armour around the neck of each horse though, which is probably a win for them

(Mercenary Skythians)

The rest of the photos are at: https://www.madaxeman.com/main/28mm_Assyrian_Cavalry.php

(Chariots coming up when I upload the photos... )

Offline Burnin Coal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2020, 01:06:56 AM »
Nice job on the cavalry....I like the way their shields tie in with the infantry you did, makes for an impressive army

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2020, 02:43:46 AM »
An excellently painted army!  Hopefully you will be able to get them into battle soon.
2024: B: 2220; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;