Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:16:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686613
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 757
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: "Darkest Africa" Solo (Darkest Frostgrave?)  (Read 3696 times)

Offline bazookajoe

• Librarian
Re: "Darkest Africa" Solo (Darkest Frostgrave?)
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2020, 06:10:33 AM »
Thanks Jon.  I made those kraal pieces literally from old twigs almost 20 years ago and they have mostly sat in a box since then.  I have made this commitment to myself to try to reuse stuff I have not looked at in a long time but still like.  Along that line, I recently went into the pile of unpainted lead and retrieved some old Foundry DA tribesmen that I got on ebay years ago.  They are now painted up as generic looking Central African warriors with the wicker Congo-style shields of assorted shapes.  Hopefully they will make it into a game fairly soon.

Offline bazookajoe

• Librarian
Re: "Darkest Africa" Solo (Darkest Frostgrave?) Stockade and New Game
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2020, 01:24:00 AM »
Since I am not that much into building terrain, I bought this D&D Goblin stockade and repurposed it as a nineteenth century African stockaded village.  The camp fire is from the same set but the huts are Empress Zulu ones.

Offline bazookajoe

• Librarian
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2020, 01:38:36 AM »
After a short break doing some painting, I played the 5th game in my experimental "Darkest Africa" campaign.  The randomly determined scenario worked out much better for the Explorers than most of the previous ones.  This time, as the explorers were about to cross a small stream, they encountered a Ruga Ruga war band heading in the opposite direction.  The range of the explorers' rifles represented a huge advantage as they sat back and shot down the raiders who charged across the river.  Once more than half the ruga ruga were down, the war band fled back into the bush.   A locust plague that was generated as a random encounter after the previous game meant that the Ruga Ruga deployed 2 less guys than usual while the explorers had enough food stored away to avoid the problem.  During the river encounter, the much suffering Mr. Rowlands (with his injured arm and foot) boosted his flagging reputation by shooting down the Ruga Ruga leader.   He will finally get some grudging respect from the old Boer scout Max.  After the skirmish, the party became lost trying to find its way around the river but then discovered an area of promising commercial potential for future sugar plantations.  However, a local prophet has become aware of the explorers and is now raising resistance against them (meaning the enemy will have more guys in the next battle).  These events were all random encounters generated after the battle.

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2020, 05:24:11 AM »
Another great little game good to see the explorers start to have some success I feared they where all going to wind up dead and crippled giving their bad luck in the opening games.
That re-purposed goblin stockade looks very good.

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2020, 11:48:58 PM »
Looks great, my friend! It always amazes me to see how many minis you can pump out to play a variety of games.
Darkest Africa (FROSTGRAVE) would be an interesting game to try out sometime.

Nice use of that goblin fort.  I often felt the same - could be repurposed for historical use. Looks great!

Offline bazookajoe

• Librarian
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2020, 03:02:29 AM »
Thanks comrade.  I owe all my Frostgrave experience to you.  While they might not have the infamous "Bone Dart" in the Darkest Africa version, the trusty Martini-Henry .577 bullet gets the job done at least sometimes.   Most of those DA figures were painted years ago now though I did those ones in the fort more recently. 

Offline Wiegraf

• Scientist
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2020, 06:46:04 AM »
Thanks comrade.  I owe all my Frostgrave experience to you.  While they might not have the infamous "Bone Dart" in the Darkest Africa version, the trusty Martini-Henry .577 bullet gets the job done at least sometimes.   Most of those DA figures were painted years ago now though I did those ones in the fort more recently.

"Bone Dart" sounds too much like a voodoo spell anyways. They might have access to it in the Darkest Africa version and you just haven't learned that spell yet!

Look forward to gaming whatever we play, and Frostgrave 2! Where Bone Dart is hopefully given a range restriction!