Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:55:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690713
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 1026
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Need help with Pygmies Army (crossposted) Updates with pics!  (Read 8977 times)

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
Here is the situation - I have this idea for a Wood Elf army for Warhammer Fantasy that uses pygmies for wood elves and gorillas for the dryads, and I need assistance finding models for them that are not outrageously expensive. Anyone with ideas please post them, as I have drawn a blank - also, if you recommend a model, please link them.

Wood elf glade guard - Foundry Pygmies - I have one set of the archers with funny hats. Are there others to use?

Dryads - I want to use gorillas, but I don't of many that would fit on a 25mm square base besides Foundry, and they are just too expensive to field in two units of 12.

Glade Riders - what the hell could I use for pygmies as cavalry? the Wild Riders I can get away with lions or leopards, but the glade guard have bows and spears...

Treekin - I think I will use either hippos or some really big gorillas - but hippos and rhinos seem like an amusing option.

Treemen - I am going to use the Reaper King Kong and an elephant for the second one.

Waywatchers - these guys are super scouts with very lethal bows - any super camoflauged pygmies out there?

I am also trying to cut some costs here - all Foundry would be cripplingly expensive. Any love for me from the community here?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 04:56:18 AM by Sinewgrab »
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Arthadan

• Scientist
    • Forge of Doom Miniatures
Re: Need help with Pygmies Army (crossposted)
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 11:26:41 AM »
Have you taken a look to http://www.splinteredlightminis.com/miscellaneous.html ?

Here you are lions and maybe you find useful the terror birds and the komodo dragons.

About pygmies:

Fenryll:

Online Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 02:12:44 PM »
A little help needed, surely?  ;) :)

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 02:44:13 PM »
Just a short reply.  lol

What about Kallistra Pygmies?  They even have them mounted on boars (as Glade Riders?)
http://www.kallistra.co.uk/Pygmy%20Gallery.html

Also:
Blackcatbases under their Babelli range.
http://www.blackcatbases.com/product.asp?strPageHistory=category&numSearchStartRecord=0&strParents=117&CAT_ID=117&P_ID=606&btnProduct=Products...
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 08:16:28 PM »
A little help needed, surely?  ;) :)

I can't believe you went there.

Well, with the amount of useful help the crew has given me, I have traded for enough Foundry bow-pygmies to get enough Glade Guard, picked up some Kallistra Boar Riders for Glade Riders, and some of their basic pygmies for Wardancers, and then ordered a couple of packs of Bend Sinister to use as the lightly armored Eternal Guard. I just wish there were more gorillas out there - I don't like the Black Cat Bases gorilla, and Murch's are just a bit pricy right now - though I may order a few packs anyway. I have so far made do with Taers and War Apes from the D&D collectibles. I'll drop a workbench post up later when I have more time.

Offline Arthadan

• Scientist
    • Forge of Doom Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 10:09:46 AM »
If you're looking for cheap gorillas and you don't mind prepainted plastic, there is a D&D 'war ape':

It's 0.50 € in Ludik Bazar.

Offline Renfield286

• Librarian
  • War, War never changes...
    • Renfield in 28mm
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 10:46:31 AM »
Black tree design do some nice gorillas
as do Dazed miniatures
Black cat bases do one too (i could only find it on the news page there, a good way down the page.

and copplestone do a couple of large animals (like an elephant for example) i don't recall who did the rhino's i have though.

there's tonnes of "apes in power armour" and "Augmented ape" miniatures out there that have decent poses that would need minimal green stuff to work (like some fur)

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 06:54:42 PM »
If you're looking for cheap gorillas and you don't mind prepainted plastic, there is a D&D 'war ape':

It's 0.50 € in Ludik Bazar.

I have acquired a number of these, and am in the process of sculpting new arms for them. I am also using the Taer models.

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 12:36:41 AM »
As Paul mentioned, the Kallistra ones.

They are lovely miniatures and paint up really nicely.

They are halfling fantasy pygmies though, unlike the foundry ones.
The Black Cat Bases ones are great and for ones on the chunkier size, use fenryll or even the Eureka ones in their pax limpopo range. These paint up well, but are chunky.  ;)

Offline Mysterioso

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 11:22:51 PM »
They are not the best gorillas but there is one or two gorillas in each Jungle "Toob" sold at places like Michaels and AC Moore. They are in a knuckle-walking pose. Usually Michaels and AC Moore run coupons each week. Using a coupon a week, you might be able to acquire the gorillas you need for your project.  Extra animals from the Toob might be useful to other projects you have, sold off to other people with jungle projects (the hippos are not bad at all), or given to a nephew or niece as stocking stuffers or something along those lines.

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 11:25:09 PM »
I have acquired a number of these, and am in the process of sculpting new arms for them. I am also using the Taer models.

Of course there is nothing to stop you priming D&D prepaints and repainting them! I works honest!

Cheers
Andy

Offline whiffwaff

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 08:25:45 PM »
Have you looked at Bend Sinister Pygmies?

http://www.bendsinister.co.uk/shop.php?CatID=3

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 09:03:35 PM »
Have you looked at Bend Sinister Pygmies?

http://www.bendsinister.co.uk/shop.php?CatID=3

I have - Orctrader pointed me at them in another thread, and I have a few packs of the wee fellows on order now...but thanks for the point out!

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Need help with Pygmies Army (crossposted) Updates with pics!
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 05:14:37 AM »
Well, we have built our Pygmy Wood Elf Army. I apologize for the poor quality photos - I am a bit rushed tonight, and can't seem to get the light quite right, being it is dark and all.

Here is the core of our force, the Pygmies with Bows, representing Wood Elf Glade Guard, led by Tarzan, who will be one of my Character models. I got quite a few of these from a gentleman on this forum (Mysteriouso? - I know your name is Matthew!) who was an easy and comfortable trading partner.

And these will be my Dryads. I am mostly satisfied with them - I used D&D War Apes with modified arms - I cut them off and sculpted my own. They are mostly okay, even if some these guys seem to use one arm far more than the other... They are led by a repaint of Gorilla Grodd, who will be my Branchwraith.

And these shall be my other Tree Spirits - the lions will represent Wild Riders of Kournous, the crocodiles are my Treekin, and my Treemen are the giant Gorilla from Reaper, and an oversized Elephant toy I repainted.

And finally, the most joyous of mt finds for the Pygmy army. Bless Orctrader for pointing them out. Bend Sinister's Pygmies in grass armor with wooden masks. My first order did not go as well as one could have hoped, but when I received only two of the 3 packs I ordered, they were very fast in sending out the missing pack, and he threw in a pack of the blowpipe wielders, who were then converted into my musician and standard bearer, as well as a couple of characters. These will be my Eternal Guard, the only real block unit in the army. I wish the photos were better, as tehse guys deserve better exposure. However, as the camera is going to be leaving tomorrow for several weeks, I needed to take them tonight, bad light and all. They are led by the Bend Sinister Witch Doktor.

And here we have a picture of some of the terrain I have made for the jungle battles. I have far more to make...

Whew. All I have left to do is some Kallistra Boar Riders and some other Kallistra on foot, and we're done!

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Need help with Pygmies Army (crossposted) Updates with pics!
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 05:40:19 AM »
What an awesome army, love it!! I have purchased the Toobs pieces but also the ones we can get in a "Jungle Animals pack" at a $2 type store known as The Reject Shop (the latest price is $3 but for about 6 animals which fit nicely with 28mm....................). The hippo makes a nice waterline model when taken to with a hacksaw.
Cheers,
Poiter50