Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:34:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686589
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Barkskins - new TV series.  (Read 8862 times)

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
Re: Barkskins - new TV series.
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2020, 02:46:33 PM »
The combat scenes in Frontier were definitely ridiculous. For better or worse (mostly worse), I am afraid that Hollywood has been influenced by video games combat. One guy takes on the whole world and is successful. The most over-the-top scene was when Jason Momoa pulls the guys spinal column out of his back and holds it up. Really???

That said, I like the focus on Hudson's Bay - doesn't get a lot of attention from History or the wargaming world...

Mike Demana

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2020, 04:14:20 PM »
I like the focus on Hudson's Bay also but the show felt like something from the late 60's-70's.The characters had no depth to them.They were like 2-D instead of 3-D.I liked Momora better in Stargate Atlantis which you know is sci-fi going in and even SEE which is far from a great show but Momora was better in that.
Mark

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2020, 01:49:10 PM »
Is it me? I cant find it.
+
My blog gapagnw.blogspot.co.uk

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2020, 02:11:16 PM »
Is it me? I cant find it.

It's not on in the UK yet, Roger. I'm sure it will appear on one of the UK streaming services or platforms sooner or later.

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2020, 06:47:39 PM »
Thanks Captain Blood.

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2020, 06:40:59 PM »
Watched episode 3 last night.Pretty good.
Mark

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2020, 02:55:27 PM »
Have watch 6 episodes and have enjoyed it with 2 more to go.Hope it's renewed.David Thewlis  has had the most interesting character and plays it very well.
Mark

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2020, 06:11:55 PM »
Just saw the episode with the skirmish with the Iroquois.
I liked it. Could stand a bit more action but it still is something
I look forward to watching. Still hate all the night scenes to
difficult to see.

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2020, 06:27:16 PM »
I agree with the night scenes and more action but it is good.
Mark

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2020, 12:48:45 PM »
No bad, although I would have preferred if each "nation" speaks in its language. It is weird to watch supposed French speaking English. But that is a minor point. Overall it is a good show.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2020, 01:59:38 PM »
It's not on in the UK yet, Roger. I'm sure it will appear on one of the UK streaming services or platforms sooner or later.

On reflection, I’ve just realised that National Geographic channel is part of the Disney empire, and that channel’s content is available in the UK via the recently launched Disney+ streaming service. I would guess therefore, that you can watch Barkskins in the UK now, if you’re prepared to pay your tribute to the Empire of the Mouse.
Unfortunately though, it’s very difficult to see exactly what content is available on the platform until you have actually signed up  ::)

However, noting that they offer a 7 day free trial, I may well wait until all the episodes of this particular series have been released, then hop on there and try to binge watch the lot for free  ;)

It’s only 5.99 a month or 60 quid for the year to be fair, but given that I already have Netflix, Amazon Prime and Sky Go, I don’t really want or need yet another streaming service. Although I would quite like to watch The Mandalorian which everyone says is very good. But apart from that, I’m not that interested in Disney’s massive back catalogue of family fun...

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2020, 01:44:21 AM »
On reflection, I’ve just realised that National Geographic channel is part of the Disney empire, and that channel’s content is available in the UK via the recently launched Disney+ streaming service. I would guess therefore, that you can watch Barkskins in the UK now, if you’re prepared to pay your tribute to the Empire of the Mouse.
Unfortunately though, it’s very difficult to see exactly what content is available on the platform until you have actually signed up  ::)

However, noting that they offer a 7 day free trial, I may well wait until all the episodes of this particular series have been released, then hop on there and try to binge watch the lot for free  ;)

It’s only 5.99 a month or 60 quid for the year to be fair, but given that I already have Netflix, Amazon Prime and Sky Go, I don’t really want or need yet another streaming service. Although I would quite like to watch The Mandalorian which everyone says is very good. But apart from that, I’m not that interested in Disney’s massive back catalogue of family fun...

I have just read that if the content is considered too mature, it is not put onto Disney+.  So, there is apparently no guarantee there.
Gods, monsters and men,
Will die together in the end.

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2020, 07:18:28 PM »
Last 2 episodes tonight. :'( lol
Mark

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2020, 03:12:58 AM »
Just watched them.
The show ended strong. Finally they seemed to get the message and the night scenes were actually watchable.
Nice action and a good set up for season two. Hope there will be one.

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2020, 03:27:54 AM »
I didn't watch them tonight but will enjoy watching later in the week.
Mark