Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:13:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689752
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Fantasy mix & match for Ss & Ss and A Song of Blades (MAY 2021!)  (Read 5170 times)

Offline Dark choda

• Bookworm
I've been collecting and painting for about 2 years.  The collecting quickly took over the painting and branched into many different genres but I've narrowed it down.  I'll be gradually posting the fantasy figures I've painted over this time until I'm caught up and hopefully maintain this thread as I continue to work through my collection.

Here are a trio of Bones figures i started with.  No priming as per their claims.  Pretty rough paint job as result and also because they are my first figures. I know better nowadays to prime everything lol.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 08:24:14 PM by Dark choda »

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
Nothing wrong with those - decent tabletop standard

8)

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
They look fine. The Bones figures don't get a primercoat, there are reports of people getting problems when spraying the primer due to chemicals in the plastic and the spray reacting.
Just thin acrylic undercoat is needed.

The human sized and smaller figures in Bones Plastic are not great models as the detail is lacking and figures can be distorted. Stick to Ogre and bigger in Bones which are generally much better quality.

Offline Dark choda

• Bookworm
Thanks folks.

Over the last two years I've learned to work with Bones figures.  I've picked up an air brush and vallejo primers work great and dont result in a sticky feel.

I agree about the larger bones figures.  You'll see a few of those later on.

Well I worked on this zombicide figure next.  I figured that I had gotten enough practice in on those bones figures to paint a figure I really liked.  When I look back at it I wish I had taken more time with the mold lines and thinned my paints.  Oh well.

Offline Dark choda

• Bookworm
Next I put some paint on a variety of things.  First I discovered vallejo brown ink and slapped it in some orcs from the Myth boardgame.  Pants, shields, boots..everything that made sense for  brown.

Next I used the brown ink on some BattleMaster beast units.  I tried to replicate the shield sticker but didnt do very well.  I took inspiration from Hobgoblin and painted on demon faces instead

Finally I painted up a Bones ogre.  I found big figures to be easier but I was met by my next challenge...an abundance of flesh.  It was a challenge when I started and it's still a challenge

« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 07:02:48 AM by Dark choda »

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
yes, know how you feel re: the flesh, but looking good to me.

the shields are great.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 09:39:16 PM by Bloggard »

Offline Dark choda

• Bookworm
Thanks!

I worked on a couple more Battle Masters figures next.  I didn't clean the sticker residue properly on the chaos figure's shield.  As for the orc.. I know next to nothing about warhammer lore but I did recall that they used a lot of janky moon symbols.  My simple brain produced the childish drawing on his shield.   Oh well..its a fun reminder to just take a minute to reference images on my phone.

I was pleased with the ork skin contrast paint result

Around the same time painted up a Bones halfling, dwarf and kitsune.  I was all over the place with what I painted and how I painted them but such is the joy of having a Bones kickstarter to mess around with.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 07:10:47 AM by Dark choda »

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
really good - dwarf is great.

Offline jeffreythancock

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
Duh orkz shield lukz likke onada boyz paint it!  Gud job!  :D

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
Love your BattleMaster beast units.

Offline Dark choda

• Bookworm
Thanks all!

Next I touched up a prepainted Nissa figure from the Magic Arena of the Planeswalkers game.  Her three Tree friends were just green plastic so I put some contrast paint on them and they were done in a few minutes.  These 4 make up a warband for sellswords and spellslingers.  I broke the rules a bit as I gave all the tree guys the negative clumsy trait but I thought it made sense as they are all essentially the same.

I then slapped some of the GW technical paints on some zombicide ghosts.  I used the green one once before I switched over to the blue (nighthaunt gloom).   I painted up an old vampire from reaper to be their master with mostly contrast paints.  I wanted to use them for a game of Fear and Faith that I still have gotten around to.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 07:07:36 AM by Dark choda »

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
Very nice stuff!

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
oh yes - they've come out a treat!

Offline Dark choda

• Bookworm
Thanks! I appreciate the comments.

Next up I painted Not-Ash from Zombicide and a goblin from Massive Darkness.  Again mostly contrast paints except faces and details.  It's always a refreshing to jump from old or low detail plastics (like the figures in my previous post) to newer plastics.  GROOVY

There are 2 figures I picked up around this time that I've never identified.  One is of course an orc but I always see folks referring to sculptors and SKUs etc and I was hoping someone could tell me a little about this orc.  Also the human knight is super soft so I assume is made from lead.  I never was able to figure anything out about him either.  Thanks in advance!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Nice work!

That's a Kev Adams Citadel orc boar rider from 1987: "Spearscreamer".

Many of boar riders shared their bodies with foot orcs. There was a range of spearmen/polearm-wielders the next year, some of whom used the same legs and torso. So he'll work equally well on foot.