Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:29:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Fantasy mix & match for Ss & Ss and A Song of Blades (MAY 2021!)  (Read 5088 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
And the guy with the sword is a Lord of Battle from the same year (no. 13):

Offline Dark choda

• Bookworm
Wow thanks Hobgoblin.  Considering the swiftness of your response it seems you recognized them right away.  I had a feeling you might reply given your incredible collection (and I suspect you own these figures as well?)  I particularly appreciate the extra bit of info on the spearscreamer.  I'll have to source a shield for him.

Offline Dark choda

• Bookworm
Here I've got another ss&ss warband.  Up until this point I didnt put much thought into specific warbands.  Rather I painted a miscellany of fantasy figures and stuck them together.  However I thought these 3 would work well.  1 reaper bones gal in the middle flanked by a couple of nolzurs/deep cut figures.  The pre-primed nolzurs figures must use an odd primer because they didnt take an initial wash or first layer very well.  I got frustrated and didnt take my time.  With the Bones figure I tried my first magic weapon and found out how easy it is to make pale faces chalky and clown-like lol

Also quickly finished up 3 "goblin javilneers" from the MtG boardgame.  Fairly rough sculpts but for some reason I'm quite fond of them.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 02:19:30 AM by Dark choda »

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
I'm seeing steady improvement.

Thanks for painting the Magic the Gathering figures. I thought they were a write-off because they looked so poor. But I'm glad to know they can be painted to good quality!
Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Great work on these. You've developed a knack for this very quick. Well done.

Offline Dark choda

• Bookworm
Thank you for the comments.

Next up I acquired some Underworlds Shadespire models 2nd hand and I painted up a skeleton.  It would be my first modern GW plastic and boy the details are sharp and easy to read compared to what I've been painting.  Mostly contrast paints on this guy.

Next I went back to Reaper Bones and painted up and ogre to go with my previous one.  Contrast paints this time made it a quick job

Finally I painted a whole bunch of reaper bones goblins.  I used contrast paint Plaguebearer Flesh for their skin.  I liked the result and I ended up with a fun looking bunch.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Those look tremendous! Suitably nervous expressions on the goblins - that spearman on the right in particular.

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
I have those same goblins and painted a couple a while ago using the same plague bearer contrast paint for the skin. I had a bit of trouble with mold lines and soft detail, but your painting has really brought out the character in the sculpts. Yours look great and has encouraged me to dig out the rest of mine and get them done!

Offline Dark choda

• Bookworm
@hobgoblin Thanks!  Since they had those big buggy eyes I thought either dot them in the middle to make them look insane or dot them to one side to make them look shifty.  I went with shifty haha

@bearwoodman Thanks.  I got multiples of these guys for very little coin so as with most cheap Bones figures I gave up on the mold lines and just started painting.  About half of the goblins got a wash of agrax after the contrast paint.

On that note..another Bones figure.  A troll that I again used Plaguebearer Flesh contrast paint on but this time I added a wash of AP green tone.  I was very happy with the outcome and will use that recipe again.

I also painted up an Alternative Armies ogre.  I started with a base coat of vallejo ink flesh wash.  It turned a lot different then what I expected but I liked the effect nonetheless.  Really simple and fun model to paint!

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
Nice monsters, I particularly like the troll.

Offline Dark choda

• Bookworm
Thanks Sunjester.  I looks forward to your scenario book.

Next up I went back to painting some board game pieces.  These are from Dragon Strike, published 1993 and came with a really goofy VHS video.  I didn't have a chance to spray prime them so I did the black primer>gray drybrush>white drybrush thing for the first time.  It was a not a great idea to use contrast paints (especially on the humans) because the roughness of the dry brushing shows through the translucent paint.  Oh well..I tried hard to touch them up afterwards and I'm okay with the end result.

The warrior and thief:

A skeleton warrior and the troll:

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
I like the pose of the thief.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
I must remember that plaguebearer flesh. Looks good for goblins. More great work here :)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Great work!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Dark choda

• Bookworm
Thanks all!

2 more reaper bones figures.  The cleric started as a transparent figure that I didnt care for so experimented with some new washes I recently purchased.  They didnt work as I thought so I hastily painted over and finished him up.  I ended up being fond of the sculpt.  It's funny how that happens.

The wolf was just a super quick paintjob with contrast paints.

Next up I painted a Chronopia hearthguard and Lady Grimm from zombicide.  I still have a hard time with female faces but she'll do for the table.

And...that ends my last two years of painting a random assortment of fantasy figures!  I started painting mid-way into my wife's pregnancy.  She stopped asking me to spend time with her and instead to just feed her and let her nap so I was able to dive into this hobby lol.  Then out popped our twins and I was too exhausted to paint anything for a solid 12 months.  I started up again at the beginning of this year and when Covid19 hit my productivity really ramped up.

Coincidentally, the end of this two year mark syncs up with my return to work as we seem to be "flattening the curve".  Free time and mental energy is minimal now.  I've spent more time trying to put up barriers that keep my toddlers away from my hobby desk than actually painting lately but I hope this thread serves as a motivator to keep me painting and sharing!