Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:59:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686465
  • Total Topics: 118101
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Tlingit: northwest coast North America - Varang update p13  (Read 26946 times)

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
Re: Tlingit: northwest coast North America
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2020, 07:28:56 PM »
Thanks for sharing a link to my store. I have several PNW Spirit Beast (monsters) as well.

Human forces - https://www.paymastergames.com/pacific-northwest-tribes
Spirit Beast models - https://www.paymastergames.com/northern-spirit-beasts

Raza w/ Paymaster Games

That is a very cool set of ranges! I may well order some of those for Flint & Feather gaming. Do you have a blog that introduces some of the spirit beasts?

Does anybody manufacture resin war canoes of the Pacific Northwest?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 08:02:04 PM by WuZhuiQiu »

Offline Raza Decon

• Bookworm
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2020, 02:34:16 PM »
Their is a Russian company that has a metal one canoe. It is a bit light on detail.

I have looked into my self. The PNW War Canoe are quite large. Think of the classic Woodland Indian Canoe, the canoe the modern canoe is based on, is half to a third of the size of a War Canoe. The largest recorded war canoe was over 40 feet long, 8 to 10 feet wide and could hold over 40 tons of cargo. On the smaller size, a average canoe (even in the modern era) could hold 10 to 20 people. Not only that, after the British moved into Vancouver they started to sell navel weapons like canons, deck guns, and swivel guns became a common addition to several tribes canoes.

So with that said. On the business side of things, it is cost prohibitive. It is easy to create say a Woodland or Eastern Canoe or a Kayak because of the size and ease to sculpt and cast. All they have to hold is one or two people tops. A large canoe like a PNW canoe or a Polynesian Canoe are very large and would be one the scale of a 40k tank or a large terrain piece. This can cost up ward of $1000 or more to sculpt and costly to get cast in resin (because of the molds mostly). This canoe could have a retail cost of around $60 to $75 each for just the boat. The cost of the PNW Canoe would likely go up when you add bits like rowers, captain, shaman, cargo and ships weapons (stone thrower [a guy with a rock and a rope], canon, deck gun, swivel guns). With a minim order of 30 models, I do not think I would be able to sell more then 1 or 2 a Quarter.

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2020, 09:09:57 PM »
Thanks for sharing a link to my store. I have several PNW Spirit Beast (monsters) as well.

Human forces - https://www.paymastergames.com/pacific-northwest-tribes
Spirit Beast models - https://www.paymastergames.com/northern-spirit-beasts

Allot of the heroes are based off of old Photos that I have come across in my research. They are a mix of allot of different PNW peoples. The PNW Witch Hunter is Tlingit for sure. Although the other heroes from the line would not be out of place in a Tlingit army or force. The Totem Men and High Collars are based off of Tlingit and Haida armored traditions and style, including Coin Mail armor on the several High Collar bodies. The Totem Men and High Collars are multi-part models with lots of options on how to build your unit including 10 different head, or helmet options depending on the unit you pick.

The basic Warrior is is a conglomerate of different PWN peoples. The common troopers are armed with traditional weapons, Whale Bone Swords and "Tlingit" Daggers, Spears, Harpoons and Bows. These are muli-part models, so the models are a bit uniform but their is a lot of variety in heads. I am always working on increasing the amount of bits for these units to make them more interesting. I have included a model based on the pre-contact navel tactic of attaching rocks to ropes that a person would use to sink canoes and Kayaks.

I have worked quite hard at this. trying to think of everything I can. I had created command models so units would not out of sorts with other armies on the battlefield.

I have a lot of ideas for the near future for my PNW line, my question is - what would you like to see added to the line? New heroes, single model warrior models, post contact muskets, Swivel Guns, and/ or Cannons. Do you have a old photo or picture that might make a good PNW model?

Please let me know - Thanks.
Raza w/ Paymaster Games

Hiya Raza,
Thanks for posting.  I love your spirits and personality models and may order some at some point, but I would really appreciate some more photos of your warriors and spearmen so you can see what you actually get in the packs.  Are all the bodies the same?  Some clarity on this would give me (and others) the information I need to place an order.

I think musket-armed warriors are an obvious needed addition to the line.

Offline Raza Decon

• Bookworm
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2020, 01:46:56 AM »
Just finished posting the PNW Warriors, Archer and Spearmen models. Mind you these are possible builds, because these are multi part kits and you pick how they look. Just so you know there are 3 bodies, three legs, 2 arm sets per kit and 10 heads. Here are some of the photos from the store.

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2020, 05:26:59 PM »
Thank you!  That’s really helpful.

Offline wjhupp

• Assistant
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2020, 02:54:53 AM »
James,

Thanks for posting these great pictures.  I've got the 15mm Eureka figures in the pile, but have now ordered some of these 28mm jems.

Bill

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2020, 10:14:59 PM »
... what would you like to see added to the line?
How about a model of Maquinna with the war club John R. Jewitt made for him?  :) I think he even used it on a raid once.

Offline Raza Decon

• Bookworm
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2020, 12:30:18 PM »
Maquinna, The Nootka Chief. I have heard of him.

I might have an idea for that. Do you know what the club looked like?

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2020, 02:29:01 PM »
I have the book by Hilary Stewart- I will see if I can find a description.

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2020, 05:05:32 PM »
I’ve got another dozen Tlingit from Varang Miniatures on the painting table at the moment - having great fun with the crazy helmets! The totem pole is a little small but thought I’d get it painted up anyway.

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2020, 05:24:05 PM »
those are awesome....

Online Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2020, 05:27:35 PM »
those are awesome....

They certainly are  :-* :-* :-*

Offline Raza Decon

• Bookworm
« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2020, 01:58:31 AM »
Contrast paints?

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2020, 12:03:19 PM »
Are these more to the size you were thinking of?
One is from Timpo (54mm Western Gunfight range)
One is made from two from Poundland Western Gunfight range. They only
mould the front, so that is why I used two (back to back)
The smallest one is, I believe, from Grenadier.

Online Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2020, 12:45:32 PM »
 :-* :-* :-*

This just gets better and better.....

I'm looking forward to seeing what comes next and to hopefully one day seeing a game based around the Tlingit at a show James  ;) :)

I'll be there, camera in hand as per.