Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:38:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686624
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Getting Ready for Infamy Infamy from Too Fat Lardies: Legions 24.5.20.  (Read 2675 times)

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
I'm quite excited  by the pending release of 'Infamy, Infamy', the ancients rules from Too Fat Lardies and am busy sorting through my old WAB Caesarian Roman models to repurpose them for these rules. The first job was to rebase some 'big men' - Centurions, Optios, higher-ranking officers and allied leaders. The Centurions and Optios are on 30mm rounds and the higher-ranking chaps are on 40mm. No idea yet how many I'll need, so I've just done Centurions and Optios for each set of shield designs I have in the collection. I still need to do a Gallic cavalry leader, so have bought a sprue of Victrix models.

My WAB army was originally based on the army that Sulla took into Greece to take on Mithridates of Pontus (you know how I loved to theme my WAB forces) so I'm trying to use it as-is without buying loads of new minis as, due to lack of work, I'm not blessed with spare cash these days.

Here's what I have done so far to rebase the leaders: These first two are an Aventine Etruscan Centurion and a converted Foundry Caesarian Roman Optio (like all the Optios, converted with a couple of feathers that broke off some A&A Samnites I'd stored carelessly!)

The next two sets are Foundry models

The next chap is an Aventine Etruscan and will lead my allied Chaironean Greek Thureophoroi (proxy Spanish Caetrati, which from what I've seen on TfL videos about the rules are the closest tactically to how these Greeks fought. (Just spotted the static grass on his chest!  lol I tried to reduce the picture size to prevent any shortcomings in the painting being too obvious, but I guess that didn't work! lol)

This next one is an old GW Dogs of War character with repositioned helmet crest and a Victrix Republican Roman shield added.

Finally, here's a real 'big boss' Roman leader. He's actually an A&A Carthaginian general model.

Next up will be the legions and the allied Chaironean Thureophoroi...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 04:04:18 PM by guitarheroandy »

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
Cool! Do the rules prescribe those base sizes?

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Lovely work as per Andy  :-* :-* :-*

I'm very interested in Infamy, Infamy! I have been ever since I saw the lovely demo game at Vappa earlier this year. And of course, the Lardie rules have a very fine pedigree.

I've been watching Richard's vids on the type basic of forces needed on You Tube to get some idea of what to buy.

I'm thinking of going for a slightly later period, perhaps the Third Century but haven't made up my mind as of yet.

If I may?

Legionnaires are in units of eight on sabot bases. Auxilia the same.

Tribesmen/Warriors in units of ten.

Cavalry in units of six.

Sabot based (the rules are designed for this) or Muti-based, it doesn't really make that much difference.

Hope that helps?

Offline Burnin Coal

• Mad Scientist
 :-* very nice brushwork...will enjoy following your progress
Figures painted 2020 : 100

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog

No, you just need to clearly differentiate leaders from ordinary troops/warriors. I used the bases I'd got in the bits box. As Darrell hinted at, I need to buy some sabot bases for the troops - approx 100mm x 50mm for legionaries and 'caetrati' (my thureophoroi) although the latter can fight both formed and as skirmishers so I need some irregular shaped sabot bases (8 per base) for those too. I think I may buy some skirmish sabot bases for the slingers too...

Offline Tim Haslam

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
I still love those Copplestone legionnaires.
I too am looking forward to this rule set.
I’ve played a few games of Sharpe Practice and really took to it.

I’m considering a complete fanatic Gallic force, as I have a few painted up already!
I’ve got the Victrix fanatics and a pack of the chariots that I’m going to add fanatic crew.

So for normal rank and file troopers, base them on 20mm round bases???
Then rank them up on sabot bases.
This is how I do it in SP.
A millionaire trapped in a peasants body!

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
That's pretty much my plan. Big Men go on 2p coins, as do support options like musicians and standard bearers, rank and file on 1p coins arranged on a Warbases sabot base.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
Caesarian Legionaries for Infamy Infamy. Foundry models (apart from one Centurion, who is Aventine) with Aventine shields (don't ask!) and LBM shield transfers. These were painted for WAB a few years ago and have been 'repurposed'.
The unit with plain shields will eventuallly be joined by another, although as the last picture shows, they can be placed within other units to give a more battle-worn look. As I need to use the 'Caesar in Gaul' base force due to the other models I have available, and as I have no unarmored legionary models, I need some way to differentiate the recruits from the normal legionaries. I'm thinking that the Wolf-shield chaps can be recruits entirely as they are while the Boar-shields or the Horse-shields can have some plain shields amongst them to show their more battle-worn appearance...

Offline Burnin Coal

• Mad Scientist
Great looking units

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Lovely  :-*

Offline folnjir

• Scientist
They look great

Offline nikephorous

• Assistant
These are particularly squiffy Andy!

Thanks for sharing.
Who decided a 6 was good and a 1 was bad anyway?

Offline Tim Haslam

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Just lovely.
I’ve sent you a PM by the way.