Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:55:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: CommissarMoody's cold war project.  (Read 5714 times)

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
Re: CommissarMoody's cold war project.
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2020, 12:06:14 PM »
There's Warlord's soviet tanker pack for some tanker hats/helmets. The jump helmet could be converted if you had plastic fritz helmets and cut the edges off and greenstuffed something over the ears. Just a thought though. 
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2020, 12:14:01 PM »
Those are also some good ideas.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2020, 01:07:19 PM »
You also asked about other Warsaw Pact options, I wondered if a combination of Under Fire NVA with Empress (Universal Soldier) Russian heads.

No idea how accurate that would be, but the head swaps would change their profile.

Offline leadfool

• Mastermind
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2020, 04:13:21 AM »
Great project idea.
FOUNDER OF THE D'ISREALI ARMY

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.  Liberty is a well armed Lamb, contesting the vote.
B Franklin.    ----

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2020, 08:16:48 AM »
Thanks LeadFool.
Well I talked to Bill over at Underfire and its looks like he has planes in the future to expand his range ever more in the future. Including some soviets' in camo suits and US in PASGT towards the end of the year. So fingers crossed that works out.
I didn't get as much done as I would have liked too, but I am still doing more then I have all year so that something.
Posting up a link to my blog with more photos an info about what I have been up to.
https://commissarmoody.blogspot.com/2020/05/weeknd-hobby-time.html

Mostly doing that to keep my free photos on flicker from being overloaded to quickly.  lol

[/url]

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2020, 10:39:47 AM »
Looking good!

What’s that Micromir BTR-60 like as a kit? Seems to have turned out well. I’ve been eyeing one of those off since they came out. If it’s good to build I might replace my resin one or convert it to a TAB-71 and give my Romanians a ride.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2020, 12:48:11 PM »
The base hull is not to bad. But suffers from bad instructions.... Of course I wont discount me being rusty, haveing not built a kit in a few  years.
You will have to shave and cut a few bits to get them to fit.
And it does suffer from missing a few things completely. Like the turrets 7.62 MG, rear storage rack and spot light.
I also decided to not bother with the hooks, steps and hand holds. Being thin, i figure they will break in play and be hard to fix...
But i still got 2 more to make. I'll build those before I give it a full recommendations or a no go.
At the very least i picked them up cheap so cant complain ether way.  lol

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2020, 08:31:33 AM »
Sorry for the lack of updates. I have been busy dealing with life, famly and a mutch needed camping trip with the wife.  :D
In the meant time, I have finished painting the first squad, and am waiting to get some new basing material to finish them off.
Also once the painting bug bites again, I will get into finishing up the rest of the platoon for a Combat Recon Group of 3 BTRs and a T-55.

I also got in some M56 helmets as serpent shells from Shapeways in 28mm And they honistly work just fine. So seeing as how I have already decided to make a ultra modern force of a Rump East German nation I decided to get it a try and see how it worked out.

figs are Empress Modern Russian Federation with a universal head set Fast helmet cut with cut down sides to fit the M56 helmet. link to the helmet page.
https://www.shapeways.com/product/E5TMV78NB/28mm-m-56-ddr-helmets?optionId=60113542&li=marketplace

For items coming in the mail. I Got a Tamiya T-55 to add to my list of kits to build. Along with a Butlers T55AM
(https://www.butlersprintedmodels.co.uk/1/48-scale/post-ww2/t55am.html) Will see how they compare.
I also got a Another set of the the ITALERI Berlin house and a Extension. Might pick up a few more to give options for a taller house or for battle damage..etc.
I also Got 16 headless UnderFire NVA from a fellow Lead Adventure FreakyFenton. And I am trying to decide whether I should make them them into Luftsturm Brigade 40 "Willi Sanger" or into some Workers Militia.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2020, 10:07:23 AM »
The Willi Sänger battalion wore either motorbike style crash helmets or a distinctive bowl helmet shaped not unlike the old British para helmet but with leather ear flaps as their jump gear. I think it’s the same pattern that the Poles used with their airborne units. I suppose they may well have used the standard East German tin hat if not deploying by parachute but extant photos of them on exercise tend to show them in the biker helmets/ para helmets or berets.

Good to know about those Shapeways stahlhelms. I’ve been wondering about some of the other helmets on there for conversions.

Nice work all round!

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2020, 11:06:18 AM »
Thanks, Yeah I have been trying to figure out a decent helmet to choose for the Willi Sangers. And have been debating on giving them some of their field berets or the bright orange ones just for the hell of it.  lol
Maybe Ill keep the orange ones for the future Rump state guys and keep the cold war ones a little more historical.
I am looking for a decent side or forage cap as well. Might be good for the regulars as a alternate headgear as well.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2020, 02:20:40 PM »
If you can locate a box of the old Wargames Factory WW2 Soviets then you’ll have a largeish supply of sidecaps.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2020, 02:32:37 PM »
First squad looks great

8)

Offline Splod

• Mad Scientist
  • Flittering from one project to another
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2020, 09:06:56 PM »
I can't find any photos, but the Westwind Berlin or Bust range had a separate head system which were generally quite nicely sculpted. They saw lots of use on Gamesworkshop Cadian conversions.

They do a Russian sidecap available here: https://westwindproductions.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=76_167_187&product_id=1172

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2020, 09:25:20 PM »
The german airborne pack from Warlord Games has a few heads with sidecap who'd work at a glance. Alternatively the Empress heads from the indochina range could do with some fitting paintwork methinks. https://www.empressminiatures.com/dbp29-309-p.asp

Apart from that looking forward to progress!  :D

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2020, 09:40:59 PM »
Thanks, those are all some good ideas. I'll see what I can find in my pile of bits.