Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:10:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689757
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: SS&SS AAR - A New Beginning (***new game added 06/06/2020***)  (Read 2647 times)

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
Right, since the Heroquest thing is pretty much done and dusted I took the time to write up the latest Sellswords&Spellslingers battle report, featuring a whole new cast of characters.

https://www.tabletopstories.net/language/en/2020/05/sellswordsspellslingers-a-new-beginning/

As with everything on Tabletop Stories, the battle report is available in German and in English language. Hope you enjoy the article! :)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 11:28:35 PM by Battle Brush Sigur »

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
Re: SS&SS AAR - A New Beginning
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 05:10:09 PM »
A great report and sounds like a lot of fun. The new party will (hopefully) last a little longer than your first group.

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 05:25:46 PM »
Given how all of them survived the first adventure it's pretty safe to say that they will. :D But let's not jinx it.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 11:05:23 AM »
yes, just brilliant again. Fantastic writing (and brushwork - 'natch).

... and I love that mat !
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 05:02:04 PM by Bloggard »

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 01:14:18 PM »
yes, just brilliant again. Fantastic writing.

... and I love that mat !

Many thanks. :) Yeah, I absolutely don't regret having gotten that mat two years ago.

Last night we had another game in this new campaign. Battle report should be up... at some point soon.

However, there'll be a change of scenery for the next game. More about that in the upcoming battle report. ;)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 02:28:10 PM »
An entertaining battle report, thanks for sharing. Nice brushwork and table. I am envious of your mat!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 08:07:15 AM »
@Rick W.: It's just a regular Cigar Box mat. :) Very useful though; haven't regretted getting it in the slightest and highly recommended.

Here's the latest battle report which continues the adventures/escape/journey of Roland von Metternich and his colourful entourage:

https://www.tabletopstories.net/language/en/2020/05/sellswords-spellslingers-ambush/

The article is available in German as well as in English. Hope you like it!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 08:11:01 AM by Battle Brush Sigur »

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
Re: SS&SS AAR - A New Beginning (***new game added***)
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2020, 10:07:06 AM »
An excellent report for a fun game. Thanks for sharing, I look forward to the next adventure.

Offline jonw

• Student
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2020, 02:40:17 PM »
Seconded.

It's good to see SS&SS getting some attention. Highly underrated game in my opinion.

Offline Mister Frau Blucher

• Scientist
    • Swords Under Distant Suns
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2020, 02:03:12 AM »
Another fun recap. Funny to see poor, dead, Grystal show up!

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2020, 06:05:37 PM »
blimey, what can I say. I love your write-ups.

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2020, 12:05:04 PM »
@Sunjester: You should! I nicked your scenario. :D

@jonw: Thanks very much. Since I can't play with the regular wargamey guys it's a great set of rules for getting some games on the table with non-wargamers. And it's just a fun set of rules in general, isn't it.

@Mister Frau Blucher: Cheers! Yeah, it's fun to bring up stuff from previous games and so on. Makes the world feel a bit 'tighter' and it's a bit of a stretch, but I think the "hey, that's that character from earlier!" trumps that. :D

@Bloggard: Thanks, that's very nice to hear!

Well, it's been a while, but last night I finally put up another Sellswords and Spellslingers AAR!

Our heroes arrived at the village of Trondberg. Let's see which adventures await them next.

https://www.tabletopstories.net/language/en/2020/06/sellswords-spellslingers-save-the-villagers/

------------------------- Trigger Warning. Maybe? Makes more sense (if any at all) after reading the AAR. -------------------------

Full disclosure - two minutes after I got the article uploaded last night i was hit with a bit of a realization. Considering the current going-ons in the US and in some cities elsewhere some themes of this game (which we had in mid-May) could be viewed as inappropriate (well, the 'looting of the village' aspect really). It might be far-fetched, but I'm sure most of us currently are somewhat more sensitized to certain themes or imagery. I'm not sure what exactly I'm trying to say here, but I felt like it should be mentioned given the current circumstances. It goes without saying that in times like these I use fantasy gaming to NOT having to deal with real world issues for a few hours.

The funny thing about fantasy/sci-fi is that we often like to pretend that these are entirely unproblematic genres, untouched by any sort of 'baggage'. Historical wargaming usually comes with a set geopolitical, sociological, etc. context we can not change. We choose WHAT we play/depict within these contexts and what we don't want to play due to various personal reasons, tastes and preferences.

With fantasy/scifi it's a slightly different thing, isn't it. We're able to choose the context our games take place in. Even when using set fantasy/scifi settings such as Middle Earth or Battletech, we are much more at liberty to interpret them to suit our play. In a way that's very comforting, in another way it can lead to a false sense of detachment from any sort of responsibility. After all fantasy and sci-fi stories have always been used to discuss historical or current issues. As much as they've been used to just indulge in some escapism.

Yeah, I'm just babbling at this point. Basically what I try to say is this: I am aware that in the light of the situation in parts of the US and elsewhere and all the video clips and pictures we see all across our timelines and newsfeeds certain aspects of this particular scenario could be viewed as inappropriate. I don't think that it is, but that's just my opinion, and if you're of the opinion that it is I'm sorry. Please let me know. In the end it's all just about sharing our silly fantasy adventures, and by now I'm sure you understand that I like my fantasy adventures to be very much on the silly side rather than being all too serious. All of the people I got feedback from on prior AARs seem to enjoy the little write-ups, and I do as well.

I probably blow this out of proportion, but it's something that struck me last night and I think that it's better to mention such stuff rather than just keep quiet about it. This way we can talk about it, which surely isn't a bad basis for things. So please let me know what you think on this whole thing.

For now I decided to share a link to this AAR on forums, but refrain from putting it up on social media for now. Not only due to my inherent laziness when it comes to advertising things, but also because ...well, social media. Again, I view these games and AARs as what they are, but I don't want to cause anybody any sort of stress or something like that.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 12:47:27 PM by Battle Brush Sigur »

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: SS&SS AAR - A New Beginning (***new game added 06/06/2020***)
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2020, 08:51:36 PM »
I think your games are BRILLIANT AND WONDERFULLY inspiring. They are decidedly escapist & entirely outside of the current unpleasant reality...at least in my opinion. The miniatures & scenery are lovely, which adds nicely to a fine narrative. VERY WELL DONE!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2020, 09:32:27 PM »
Really enjoyed your AAR, thanks for sharing

:)

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2020, 09:36:26 PM »
Don't worry about it. There's nothing political and it's not breaking any forum rules. It's nice that you've thought about it though. :)