Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:48:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Native American Buildings  (Read 2750 times)

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Native American Buildings
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2020, 12:34:18 PM »
Yeah, a bit of a pet peeve for me.  And, sadly, ordering from the US might get worse if our Toddler-in-Chief gets his way and has the US Postal service increase package shipment costs by a multiple.  If that happens, a lot of small businesses will "turn turtle" and be part of the flotsam and jetsam of our new world.  And that means many of our little USA hobby businesses will be a part of history.  Or the costs go up even more which might equate to the same effect.

Glad to hear you 'took the hit' and bought out of the USA.  I spread my purchases around the world, not only US but Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Italy, and UK - at the least.  Though not much more to buy these days.

Sadly, Acheson had but one 15 mm option that wasn't all that great.  Thankfully, Bluemoon Manufacturing has more - and better - options for my FIW villages.  I think I will have to scratch build the 'castle' walls if I decide to go that way.  Of course, by the time of the AWI, a lot of 'native' homes were similar to European immigrant homes - at least among the Mohawk.

Offline zippyfusenet

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2020, 01:33:17 PM »
Hey FifteensAway, did you ever look at the Imex 1/72 plastic sets? The wigwams in the Eastern Friendly Indians box and the tipis in the Lewis and Clark set are too small to be 1/72 scale, but fair for 15mm. Some of the other camp doo-dads in the sets might be useful for a 15mm Indian village. Checkitout:

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=606

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=405
You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2020, 12:31:58 AM »
zippy, I had not seen either of those sets so thanks for pointing them out.  Not sure I can justify buying the whole sets just for the extras unless I find them for cheap somewhere.  At least I can now keep my eyes peeled just in case.  Again, thanks.

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2020, 01:44:12 AM »
Fifteens,
Yes, I am  sure that you are going to have to scratch build the "castle" walls. If you have not had a chance yet, I suggest that you search for (or better yet visit) pictures of the Iroquois villages dioramas at the New York State Museum. They have done the palisade walls correctly based on archeology of the sites.
Lon
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline Militia Pete

• Schoolboy
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2020, 09:41:10 PM »
Conquest Miniatures use to have the woodland indians long houses etc.

Offline zippyfusenet

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2020, 09:24:48 PM »
Militia Pete, Conquest sold their product line to Warlord. I think the Warlord longhouses are former Conquest product.

Offline Donkeymilkman

• Bookworm
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2020, 06:15:52 PM »
Out of Interest, the warlord longhouse is that suitable for plains Indians as I know in winter months they would live in log cabins I believe but that's as far as my knowledge goes?
I have nothing important to say so just keep on scrolling.

Offline Militia Pete

• Schoolboy
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2020, 01:02:59 PM »
You are correct Zippy. The two longhouses are old Conquest. To bad they don't carry the log cabin. I had a couple of those and they were awesome.

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2020, 02:25:12 PM »
Donkeymilkman, never heard of native american log homes - and certainly not on the plains.  I know of sod houses and other wigwam style homes (bark overlaid on pole frame) but not log homes - unless used to create something in the shape of the traditional teepee.  I would be very curious of your reference sources for log homes for the Plains tribes?  Most of them relied on the teepee, through the year from what I know.  I'm going to bounce over and do some Google 'research' just to satisfy my curiosity.  I do recall one semi-buried structure in a museum that might have used some very crudely worked logs but I would not consider that a log cabin. 

Found this: http://www.native-languages.org/houses.htm
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 09:31:17 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline Donkeymilkman

• Bookworm
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2020, 04:36:09 PM »
Donkeymilkman, never heard of native american log homes - and certainly not on the plains.

My mistake not log homes as such, I was remembering what seemed to be a bit of a brief step note in one of my childs gcse history revision guides on the American West by Pearson. For some reason it always stuck with me never quite knowing myself what they were going on about anyway here's the quote,

"In winter, the bands moved to sheltered valleys where they lived in wooden lodges, insulated with thick layers of soil."

Thank you for the link, I might have a go at scratch building some of those buildings. They look rather fun! I assume they were going on about Earthen houses then? I have to admit my knowledge of American is bill and void but I have always found the Plains Wars interesting.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 04:41:53 PM by Donkeymilkman »

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2020, 04:51:26 PM »
You are probably thinking of this type of lodge Donkeymilkman:

From here: link.

Offline Donkeymilkman

• Bookworm
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2020, 05:45:59 PM »
Thank you for the link Codsticker I might have to have a go at making one of these now, looks like it could be a fun little project.