Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:05:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: EndTransmission's modular game board (over the hills and into the woods)  (Read 5690 times)

Offline ragbones

• Scientist
Re: EndTransmission's modular game board (Graveyard done + free STLs)
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2020, 12:47:26 AM »
Everything looks great but I especially like the Brimstone Dragon.
Hail to the King, baby.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2020, 11:38:40 AM »
very nice work :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2020, 02:47:39 PM »
 :-* :-* :-*

Online syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2020, 01:57:33 AM »
On their way to the yearly sacrifice of the nosy journalist sent to cover the may fair
Ooh.  Will the wicker man show up shortly then?  lol
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 02:00:31 AM by syrinx0 »
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
    • EndTransmission's random gaming things
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2020, 05:30:25 AM »
Ooh.  Will the wicker man show up shortly then?  lol

You can see an animated wicker man in the background or the zoomed out picture, slowly making its way towards the graveyard. I do have my eye on a large wicker man though

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2020, 07:56:43 AM »
The last few days have been spent trying to learn some important things that I should have looked at *before* uploading all those stls. Optimisation. The process I took in building them all was to create some bricks and then build it by hand to give it an authentic look and I think the time spent is worth it. Unfortunately this means each model is about 50+ separate objects, which leads to large file sizes and lots of artefacts within the model. Most of the files seem to be ok when you go through and merge everything into one object (give or take some weird clipping that occsionally happens, leaving voids where a brick should be)... but some are just refusing to play nicely with the validator tools MyMiniFactory like to use... so I fear those ones will remain unoptimised. Future models will, hopefully, be better as I now know more about the tools available.

Between all that, I built a new addition to the board and got the main part printed yesterday. What rural scene would be without a pigsty?

I also picked up the 3d model for some really nice looking pigs from Cast N' Play to go in the pigsty, or to be wandering around the board as an objective. To make the piglets, I just scaled the model down to 60% the original size.

Today I need to recreate the roof for the pigsty as it is having problems with the validator and I've no idea why. Shouldn't take too long to do to be fair as I have a master file with wooden planks in. I need to get work meetings out of the way first though!

Once the roof has printed properly, this will be made available for download as well.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: EndTransmission's modular game board (Pigsty WIP)
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2020, 09:29:51 AM »
gosh brave new world - fascinating stuff for the non-3d printing conversant. Look forward to reading more of your experiences with the technology.

and my goodness the quality these 'home' printers are capable of now - lovely sty and pigs - and smooth as you like.

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2020, 12:16:21 PM »
The resin home printers are an absolute godsend for gamers the world over, with far more options available for fantasy and sci-fi things than you'd likely find as physical products. The only after print work that needed doing on those was a was in isopropyl and leaving out in the sun for a bit to finish curing... which at the moment isn't really an issue!

I may have my eye on the new Elegoo printer that is due out in a few weeks time that has a print base more than double the size of the one I have, which means much larger buildings become possible :D

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2020, 08:30:07 PM »
Some more additions to the gaming table, this time inspired by Nicholas Cage's Color from Outer Space, bringing a splash of extra colour to the tabletop.

The well was one I already had made, but it didn't have much purpose on the tabletop until now, when paired with a mysterious glowing meteor. I also made a few more hill pieces, including a tree embedded in the slope of one piece. I've started to hack up the last two Citadel trees to try and add some variation to the layout. After these are done I need to start printing some extras when there is downtime on the printer as 12 is really not enough trees for a decent haunted forest... unless anyone has any spare Citadel Woods that they don't want any more, I may need to order a *lot* of resin in the near future as ebay prices are now extortionate.

On the plus side, downloads are still going strong on the walls! We're now up to over 220 downloads, which is blowing my mind a bit...

« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 08:48:54 PM by EndTransmission »

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
Re: EndTransmission's modular game board (alien meteor strike)
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2020, 08:01:55 PM »
No new 3d work recently, I've not really been in the mood after the roof for the pigsty failed to fit properly. I need to go back and fix both parts at some point, but I've sorta lost interest in that one. Aaaanyway. I have done some more bits and pieces to go around the table though

To get a bit more shape to the table, I cut a bunch more hill sections. I'm slowly getting to grips with cutting these things and only worrying about the edges cut to the right level neatly and hacking the rest in to allow for some variation in shape/curvature once the polyfilla goes on

The woodlands got some nice extensions too. These are the last two Citadel wood trees that I own now built, so I had to go searching for some alternatives. The joy of a 3d printer is there are a few decent alternatives out there. The ones I settled on were the Winterdale Gnarly trees from Printablescenery.com. They look pretty good, but not quite up to the same standard as the old GW plastics. Still, $9 for the file and about £1.20 per tree in resin and more variation is pretty good value for a bit of a quality drop. The added bonus is I've also printed out a bunch at 10mm for a different project that will get it's own thread at some point

The bushes are from the free sample pack on the Lost Adventures kickstarter page and the free Black Carrot Designs tree stump on Thingiverse. The fun of 3d printing is the ability to merge models  to provide some variety, which you can see from the bushes merged into the treestump. I also added a little rabbit hiding in the bush, to see if anyone is paying attention while playing on the table ;)

There are also some squirrels and a magpie hidden in the trees if you look carefully.

The last addition doesn't really fit the more fantasy theme, but will be a fun objective in more weird war/pulp games. I had the shelter for a while all painted up, but kept forgetting it existed... so it is now part of the table.