Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:01:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686618
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: SU-76 in Chinese Service  (Read 857 times)

Online armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
SU-76 in Chinese Service
« on: May 07, 2020, 04:55:39 PM »
I notice the Bolt Action Korean War supplement doesn’t list the Russian SU-76 as a vehicle for the Chinese. I have found however one source stating 700 were sold to the Chinese and they were used in the war similar to the North Koreans. Just wondered if anyone has anymore information to confirm its use by the Chinese?

I would like to include the SU-76 in my Chinese BA force. Although it was becoming outdated in the anti-tank role, it was a versatile vehicle in also being able to be a SPG for indirect fire support and an assault gun.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: SU-76 in Chinese Service
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 08:27:47 AM »
A bit like the fabled use of Chinese IS-2s, there doesn’t seem to be much, if any, evidence that the Chinese used SU-76s in Korea, at least in combat. The photographic evidence and captured trophies all relate to vehicles in North Korean service.

Still, they undoubtedly had some at the time of the Korean War and as it’s Bolt Action, I say your toys, your choice. At least with Bolt Action you are immune to cries of ‘fantasy’.  :)
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Online armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 10:40:38 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I have since found out the Chinese PVA had 48 SU-76s by the end of the Korean War so they could have been used in combat but details are lacking.

Offline redrob

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 08:46:08 PM »
First NO Chinese designated armoured units were deployed to the Korean War but YES there were evidently a large number of SU76 deployed.
They had considerably more than the 48 mentioned

The SU76 was only used as an armoured mobile artillery platform and there is no record (from the ComwelDiv records of any used in an anti-tank role)

And with BA 'Korea' fantasy appears to be the watchword

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 09:46:39 PM »
Off topic. The title of this thread reminded me of this project to convert obsolete Su-76s into light tanks by China (Romania wound up using their's for APCs as another modernisation project).

https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/coldwar-china-59-16-130-light-tank/