Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:54:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A simple skirmish ruleset that I've been tinkering  (Read 676 times)

Offline jamopower

• Bookworm
    • My blog
A simple skirmish ruleset that I've been tinkering
« on: May 08, 2020, 12:15:25 PM »
Hi,

I have written a simple playing card based skirmish game for small retinue type forces named 'Entourage'.

We have played few games with the rules (of course there has been bit of lack recently) and the game works quite nicely even for three players. It's quite swingy, but it's something that I wanted, to keep it fun and not too serious. The game is designed for sword and shield type of battling, but I have also included muskets in it, as the principles are pretty same and it worked quite nice when we tested it with napoleonic era groups. This would require some fleshing out, but I'm not too experienced with the subject.
In overall the special rule part is something that I haven't put too much effort in, as it's something that would be figured out eventually when the players are creating their characters. The point system in the end is also very instructive. I must confess that it really doesn't work as it is now, but then again, that's the part that many games have problems. Thus, I prefer to leave the force building to the players to judge on what is right and what's not.

Would be fun to hear some comments from the community. It's the first time I have written my own rules. Though I must emphasis, that there is heavy inspiration from various rulesets that I have liked along the years.

The rules can be found from here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/10Twq5ugjWAS9bjAlOROyC27354fEDeWkNK2jaPTMJRg/edit?usp=sharing

(I'm sorry with all the articles missing in the text, we don't have them in Finnish, so I always tend to forget them half of the time)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 12:19:54 PM by jamopower »

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
Re: A simple skirmish ruleset that I've been tinkering
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 01:35:41 PM »
Nice - I really like card activations, and this is quite novel to me. Thanks for sharing!

Offline Nordic1980s

• Librarian
Re: A simple skirmish ruleset that I've been tinkering
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 05:13:18 PM »
Nice, simple rules. The red/black Joker card thing is a nice detail!