Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 10:23:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685082
  • Total Topics: 118008
  • Online Today: 935
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mammoths remote control monstrosities - gunman for hire  (Read 11460 times)

Offline Macrossmartin

• Scientist
  • Hobbies from Other Dimensions!
    • The Miniature Martin Site
Re: Mammoths remote control monstrosities.
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2020, 11:13:37 AM »
Dear God, I think I am in stompy bot love.  :o

I had never thought of this, but now I definitely am, and considering how to have a game with these! What a showstopper of a convention game this would make! (When we're allowed such gatherings once more, that is.)

Dammit, sir! Don't you know I have too many projects already?!?!?  ;D
Operating from an abandoned US spy base somewhere in the Australian outback, Miniature Martin produces games and scale miniatures set in parallel worlds, past and future. He is NOT trying to take over the Earth. This time.

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2020, 05:11:10 PM »
Dear God, I think I am in stompy bot love.  :o

I had never thought of this, but now I definitely am, and considering how to have a game with these! What a showstopper of a convention game this would make! (When we're allowed such gatherings once more, that is.)

Dammit, sir! Don't you know I have too many projects already?!?!?  ;D

I'd really love to run a small convention game using these. There's a set you can buy of two of the walkers fitted with infared lasers, that allows them to shoot at and deactivate each other. Perhaps two of them suitably modified and placed into a scale model city would be a good way to do it?

Offline Chimpfoot

• Mad Scientist
  • Life is a daring adventure or nothing at all
    • chimpfoots tavern
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2020, 06:33:49 AM »
Go for it.
Most original thing I've seen on here for a while.
 :)
chimpfoots-tavern.blogspot.com

Offline Rabbitz

• Mad Scientist
    • Unit57
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2020, 11:32:15 AM »
Absolutely loving these. 
Integrity is non negotiable

My little blog

www.unit57inminiature.blogspot.com.au

Offline Thew1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2020, 12:04:47 PM »
AMAZING!!!! Can't wait to see the scarab town  :-*

Offline Ragsta

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2020, 01:45:50 PM »

*Sigh* I really do enjoy all these posts, great work again. For me the weathering really take these a step further. Would you consider a crude step by step during one of these builds some time? Doesn't even need to be that in depth but I would be interested in the 'ingredients' and methods.

I have a holiday coming up, I'll be reading your original rulesets then probably picking up the death machine sone too :)

Offline Steam Flunky

• Mastermind
  • Stop the world.I want to get off!
    • My Miniature collections on Flickr
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2020, 03:59:02 PM »
Fantastic!
laf medals by Robert  (steam flunky), auf Flickrhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/torq42/sets/

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2020, 10:01:36 PM »
Okay, Those are pretty awesome!  :o
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2020, 11:18:17 PM »
These robots are the coolest thing I've seen here in a while.  And there is a LOT of cool stuff on this site!

Offline Macrossmartin

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2020, 01:51:58 AM »
Hmm... the smallest of the Hexbug spiders are easily available down here in Australia, but no sign at all of the bigger 'XL' nor the even bigger 'Vex Robotics' spider.  :'(

I find them all over ebay from the US, but flinch at the $60 shipping plus ebay's 'import fee' that no-one else charges for sales to Oz...  >:(

That's a real pity, because a big part of the appeal of this would be the variation in sizes / classes you could field; destroyer, cruiser and battleship, essentially.

I was even tempted to sculpt some 3D turrets and modules to print and drop on to make mini variations of the 'Codename: Colossus' Cyclops:

Frustrating!!  :?

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2020, 08:38:52 AM »
Hmm... the smallest of the Hexbug spiders are easily available down here in Australia, but no sign at all of the bigger 'XL' nor the even bigger 'Vex Robotics' spider.  :'(

I find them all over ebay from the US, but flinch at the $60 shipping plus ebay's 'import fee' that no-one else charges for sales to Oz...  >:(

That's a real pity, because a big part of the appeal of this would be the variation in sizes / classes you could field; destroyer, cruiser and battleship, essentially.

I was even tempted to sculpt some 3D turrets and modules to print and drop on to make mini variations of the 'Codename: Colossus' Cyclops:

Frustrating!!  :?

It seems hexbug no longere make some of their larger robots.I managed to get my two XL's and my VEX scarab from ebay very cheaply, So perhaps that's the way to go? Alternatively you could look at some other makers of similar bots, I'm sure there's bound to be a chinese company making rip off hexbugs.

Offline Macrossmartin

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2020, 08:12:17 AM »
It seems hexbug no longere make some of their larger robots.I managed to get my two XL's and my VEX scarab from ebay very cheaply, So perhaps that's the way to go? Alternatively you could look at some other makers of similar bots, I'm sure there's bound to be a chinese company making rip off hexbugs.

It's the postage to Australia via Ebay that's killing my enthusiasm, I fear. For example, I found an XL Spider for AU$10, but postage would smack me for another $60!  o_o

Anyway, enough of my southern hemispherite grumbling; hope we'll be seeing more of your great conversions soon!

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2020, 10:00:11 AM »
It's the postage to Australia via Ebay that's killing my enthusiasm, I fear. For example, I found an XL Spider for AU$10, but postage would smack me for another $60!  o_o

Anyway, enough of my southern hemispherite grumbling; hope we'll be seeing more of your great conversions soon!

I feel your pain to a certain extent - many of the more interesting bugs were US only releases so postage to the UK is quite bad - sometimes £50 for a £5 toy.
Still, the occasional bit of digging has bagged me a few extra XLs to be going on with.

I've got another on the workbench - A challenge between myself and a friend to build a walking pub, and He's way ahead of me so i best get working!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2020, 11:03:04 AM »
Very cool. Great work on all of those. I use vex wheeled robotics with my class to teach some basic coding. Fun and easy to use. I've never seen a spider version (Probably because I'm down in the southern hemispehere too). More pictures please. I love these, kind of like Mortal Engines meet Howl's Moving Castle.

Offline dwbullock

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2020, 07:56:57 PM »
These are great.

I really want to see them fight each other.  Turn all the hexbugs on and throw them into a big arena.  Like a miniature botwar!

Really good looking stuff!