Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:17:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690654
  • Total Topics: 118342
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Tray sizes (2, 3 or 4 ranks deep)?  (Read 543 times)

Offline Gonzo100100

• Bookworm
Tray sizes (2, 3 or 4 ranks deep)?
« on: May 08, 2020, 05:04:26 PM »
I am writing this post because I hope for a confirmation, or a ‘shortcut’. I mean I have the Hail Caesar rulebook, but I don’t want to focus on reading it because I am busy painting my armies. I would prefer to read the book when I finish painting.
So, my question is about trays for units.
I prepare Saxon starter army 128 models, Viking starter army 128 models, and Normans about 70 infantry and 50 cavalry (all plastic + maybe 30 metal models from those armies).
I prepare every infantry model (except command) on a single 20x20mm and every cavalry on a single 25-50mm.
I bought some mdf boards and I want to prepare trays for them myself, I have a proper saw to very easily cut them, but I am not sure what sizes I should make.
I mean 2, 3 or 4 ranks deep? and how many of each of those?
Are the Saxon and Viking armies a warband (4 ranks deep)? Or they are regular 2 or 3?
Do you have any suggestions what trays I should prepare for Hail Caesar game?

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Re: Tray sizes (2, 3 or 4 ranks deep)?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 10:41:19 PM »
Entirely up to you.

The only reason why unit and base sizes matter in Hail Caesar is if it matters to your opponent.

Sounds like you are doing Saxons, Vikings and Normans, so you'll be dealing with all armies for your games?

If that's the case, it's entirely up to you!

It will perhaps be beneficial if all units have the same frontage, but it doesn't really matter if some units are slightly wider or narrower for any reason. If you were playing people with their own armies based in a certain way you might want to confer with them to see how they do it first, but if it's just your armies.....

The depth of the units matters even less.

I'd say do what looks good. I personally think the more ranks the better.

I think it would make sense to have all your saxon, viking and norman heavy infantry units based the same. They'd all pretty much be identical in the game. Three ranks of 10, 30 models per unit sounds cool to me. But then of course if you go for 2 ranks, you can make more units......  Cavalry always look good in 2 ranks. If you have 50 cavalry, that could give you three units of 16 (2x8) with a couple left over?

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
Re: Tray sizes (2, 3 or 4 ranks deep)?
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 05:39:52 AM »
I agree 100% with Charlie_. :)