Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:20:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Ye Olde Plastic & Lead (Warhammer 40k massive painting project)  (Read 1597 times)

Offline Tauntaun Scout

• Assistant
Decided to make some truly gigantic Oldhammer (Middlehammer?) armies. If anyone wants to help, sell me your old boxed set minis for cheap!

First thing was 2 sets of 2nd edition Warhammer 40,000 starter minis. I painted these in batches matching the intro scenarios. First up was 30 gretchin and a 5 man special weapon team. Then 15 orks and a 5 man heavy weapon team. Then 10 gretchin, 5 orks, a lead dreadnought instead of the cardboard one, and 10 more marines. I started having to swap out for metal marines as I am running low on boxed set plastics. With one core set done, I began another! 30 more gretchin and 5 man (lead!) special weapon squad done. 15 orks and a 5 man lead heavy weapon team are in the pipeline! I also began a vast expansion to my old Lizardmen. I am painting up two and half starter boxes worth and a Slann, to go with my pre-existing skirmish force of a half box set, and a few interesting metal units.

Combined with the Orks and Blood Angels I already have, I've basically got two immediate goals. One is to paint the 4th company of Blood Angels (no biggie) with the long term goal of painting around half the chapter sans tanks. I don't like tanks much. I am gonna try to paint a line company, a reserve company, 10 squads apiece of scouts and veterans and then see where my motivation takes me. I still have to acquire many of those figures though.

The goal for orks is to paint around 500 square inches of them. So that I can enter Armies on Parade. I will simply blu-tac all my boyz to a 2x2 green board and they will cover absolutely the entire thing with army. No fancy light up scenery, no battle scenes showing the army handing out gory deaths to spare figures from my bitz box. Just straight up 2 feet by 2 feet of painted army. More pics to follow very soon.

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
Re: Ye Olde Plastic & Lead (Warhammer 40k massive painting project)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 04:43:28 PM »
I'm impressed at your determination and enthusiasm :)

Nice work so far. I had real struggles painting mine so I binned them all :o :D ! (Hind sight is 20-20... I could have done with a few of the Gretchin in my collection but hey-ho)... Yours look great :) .

Nice little dredd too (better than the later, metal one).

Offline Tauntaun Scout

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 07:45:11 PM »
Thanks! It's basically going to grow daily till I run out of old orks.

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 11:59:58 PM »
I'm impressed at your determination and enthusiasm :)

Nice work so far. I had real struggles painting mine so I binned them all :o :D ! (Hind sight is 20-20... I could have done with a few of the Gretchin in my collection but hey-ho)... Yours look great :) .

Nice little dredd too (better than the later, metal one).
how many do you need? Sure I have some kicking about I'll never use.

Offline Tauntaun Scout

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 02:02:34 PM »
If they don't want them I might! My thirst for ye olde models is great. I could see acquiring up to maybe 200 more plastic gretchin/Goffs.

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2020, 12:08:36 AM »
I've probably all sorts I'll never use from around that era, and with the recent passing of my father am liable to gain his collections, so I need space, plus I know he's still going to haunt me nagging me to paint my bloody models!  lol

I was aiming to try and sell off most of my collection and do it in one hit but when I get it all together I'll list it out. If there is anything in particular you are after let me know and I'll see if I have it/don't want it.

Offline Tauntaun Scout

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2020, 01:00:08 PM »
I've probably all sorts I'll never use from around that era, and with the recent passing of my father am liable to gain his collections, so I need space, plus I know he's still going to haunt me nagging me to paint my bloody models!  lol

I was aiming to try and sell off most of my collection and do it in one hit but when I get it all together I'll list it out. If there is anything in particular you are after let me know and I'll see if I have it/don't want it.

Well let's see. I do need loads more orks/gretchin. I will need some more "beakie" 1st edition marines with bolters too. Scouts and terminators are on my list... Most everything really! Sorry to hear about your dad. I am in the US, not sure where you're shipping from.

Offline Tauntaun Scout

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2020, 01:37:12 PM »
Almost done with a second core set's worth of forces. I am having to make some substitutions as I am running out of 2nd ed plastic.

With all these guys, my line company of Blood Angels is almost done.

A penpal has made a deal to sell me 40 RTB01 beakies assembeld with missile launchers. So. I guess I am gonna be painting the devastator reserve company of the Blood Angels soon. Just hafta find roughly 10 beakie sarges/50 beakies with bolters.

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2020, 09:54:35 AM »
Well let's see. I do need loads more orks/gretchin. I will need some more "beakie" 1st edition marines with bolters too. Scouts and terminators are on my list... Most everything really! Sorry to hear about your dad. I am in the US, not sure where you're shipping from.

I'm UK, and thank you. I'm sure I can dig up some spares for most/all of that list bar scouts.

Offline Tauntaun Scout

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2020, 03:13:46 PM »
I'm UK, and thank you. I'm sure I can dig up some spares for most/all of that list bar scouts.

I'm gonna hafta pump the brakes on this project for now. My wife is asking some tricky questions.

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2020, 02:23:36 AM »
I had real struggles painting mine so I binned them all
Little piece of my soul died when I read this.  :-(

Grimm

Offline GamesPoet

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2020, 02:42:01 AM »
Nice to see these older figures, congrats!