Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:23:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690581
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 698
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Suits, Defend the farm.  (Read 3038 times)

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
Re: Suits
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2020, 08:53:11 PM »
If you decide to go 1/72 (20mm), then I'd recommend Macross Kits... namely the Destroids: Tomahawk, Defender, Spartan and Phalanx, as mechs :) . Slightly smaller versions (1/100 scale) are available and would be much cheapre, depending on how big your mechs need to be.

Also, AT Votoms 1/60 scale mechs or 1/35 with a bit of conversion to make the pilot the right size (something I've done, in the past).

Other recommendations would be Xabungle (1/100 scale) or Patlabor (1/60 scale). You'll find plenty of examples on EBay (even if you don't purchase them from there :) ).

As for aliens, I'd suggest Tyranids. There are always plenty on EBay and there is a nice variety of creatures.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2020, 09:09:24 PM »
Have you seen the Maelstrom's Edge Master Bot Handler?

Sprues photographs here:
http://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.com/2018/05/maelstroms-edge-epirian-master-bot.html

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2020, 06:07:07 PM »
Games Workshop does some robots in their Skitarri range that look useful. No skullz and only one imperial eagle to remove  :)

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2020, 03:05:06 AM »
I decided to make the game scale agnostic as well as mini agnostic. I'll start in 28mm only because I happend to have a four legged walker from Dust from a previously abandoned project. But as I'll be deploying soon for 6 months I might also make some 15mm models up to play test as I write the rules.

My plan is to have 3 size categories of Suits; Small, Medium, and Large. There will also be 3 size categories of weapons; Light, Medium, and Heavy. In the Show all of them where armed with mini-guns which I'll consider Medium. The 3 Suits in the show also seemed to fit into the size categories with the main characters a Medium, the multi legged one a Large, and the other a Small. The Large Suite also had a large rocket launcher, which I will class as a heavy, in addition to two mini-guns. The Medium Suite had the two mini-guns and an internal arm mounted flame thrower and shotgun, both of which I'll class as light. The Small Suite had the standard two mini-guns and a single laser weapon, all three I'd class as Medium.
So the larger the Suite the heavier or larger variety of weapons you can carry. The trade-off being mobility. The larger the Suite the slower. I plan on the bugs being driven by hunger and focusing on the nearest or largest amount of food ie: livestock or farmsteads. This means they will often begin by totally ignoring the Suits, instead going for the surrounding livestock or trying to exit the opposite table edge on their way to the farms. This is where mobility and good positioning could start to play a factor. As the rounds progress the bugs will start to pay more attention to the Suits and swarm them. With no rear facing weapons the Suits are vulnerable to being flanked, again mobility and positioning being important.
So each player will have to deiced on how they want to load-out their Suite, fast a lightly armed? slow but with devastating fire? or somewhere in between? As this will be a solo or co-op game players might chose a build that compliments their team.

Well here are some photos of my first Suit. Using the legs from the Dust model I have 3d Printed the rest of the parts. Going to test some weathering techniques first before I start painting it. Got a load of Tyrnids in the mail for my small bugs (yes I'll have multiple sized ones).

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: Suits, Defend the farm.
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2020, 08:03:18 AM »
 :o that's pretty dang cool!
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline manchesterreg

• Librarian
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2020, 12:52:50 PM »
If your doing 28mm and stuck for Bugs against Starship troopers. id just use Genestealers as proxies.

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2020, 02:36:23 PM »
Pendraken has some 10mm scale bugs that would work as small aliens in 28mm.

https://pendraken.co.uk/sci-fi/bugs/