Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:41:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm French and Indian Wars - which ranges mix well and look the best?  (Read 2936 times)

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
Since you are used to enamels, no need do disregard them; Olicanalad paints exclusively with enamels and his figures look both fantastic and distinctive. He is in the middle of a series  of posts describing his painting technique: link.

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Besides the ranges mentioned, Brigade Games will launch a FiW Kickstarter tomorrow.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/brigadegames/this-very-ground-french-and-indian-wars-28mm-miniatures?ref=profile_saved_projects_live

Models are sculpted by Paul Hicks, which means they will be roughly the size a Perry Miniatures and North Star Figures, i.e. slightly larger than Conquest/Warlord but smaller than Galloping Major.

Eureka Miniatures also has a few models for FiW. The Highlanders are true 25s, which means they are quite small when compared with other ranges, even Conquest/Warlord. However, the Virginia Regiment Provincials are normal 28s. They fit well with Perry, Brigade and Conquest. Problem with Eureka is that except for Aussies the shipping costs are crippling.

I have British and Provincials from Galloping Major, but probably I will sell them because all my Indians and French are Conquest and GM tower over them. It is exaggerated, even at a distance. It's a shame, because I like GM and I have 12 Hatmen and one officer painted, plus quite a few unpainted. However, I want some consistency and with 60 French and Indians painted, plus 24 Eureka Provincials, I prefer to rebuild the British which I only have 12 painted.

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Oh! I forgot! Crann Tara Miniatures also has a small range of FiW, plus their WAS French could be used on a pinch. Sizewise they are true 1/56 scale models, which means that while on height they are like Conquest/Warlord or Perry, the bulk is also proportioned to the scale and therefore they are slimmer than other ranges. On the other hand, the quality of the sculpts is really good and paint easily.

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Another thing: Brigade Games uses a softer alloy than the other manufacturers mentioned. That leads to bend muskets and bayonets and mould lines are more noticeable. However, in the plus side that softness means that there are not broken bayonets nor weapons.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
Interestingly I watched "The Last of the Mohican's" a couple times this week as I am spending quite a bit of time on my back recovering from pneumonia. Love the movie and also decided to look about for some F&IW's miniatures.

I am leaning toward buying some minis from Warlord but I think I'm going to take a hard look first at Brigade Games Kickstarter "This Very Ground" which will begin today.

Link to Kickstarter.

Figures are by Paul Hicks and I have to say from what little I have seen... they look great!

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
Just threw some money at them.

First day pledge gets you a free George Washington, which is quite a nice figure actually.

Can't wait to see more add-ons!

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Just threw some money at them.

First day pledge gets you a free George Washington, which is quite a nice figure actually.

Can't wait to see more add-ons!

Lon has showed the photo of a British officer. Quite nice, actually. Here:

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
What I am not understanding is why are the add-ons $13 while a normal pack from Brigade Games from this era is $12?

Offline frank xerox

• Scientist
Brigade do some wonderful figure - check out their gunfighters ball range for just about any movie cowboy you can think of.

I'm really wanting these but need to sift out the guys in winter dress to make them fit the units I've got

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
What I am not understanding is why are the add-ons $13 while a normal pack from Brigade Games from this era is $12?

The FIW packs will be $15 when they become available to non-Kickstarter supporters. The AWI packs available as Kickstarter add-ons are $11 instead of the normal $12. 

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
The FIW packs will be $15 when they become available to non-Kickstarter supporters. The AWI packs available as Kickstarter add-ons are $11 instead of the normal $12.

Okay.

Damn. That could get expensive...  ;)