Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:48:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Evil Dave's Epic Imperial Guard - 2022 Retrospective  (Read 17132 times)

Offline Evil Dave

• Scientist
Evil Dave's Epic Imperial Guard - 2022 Retrospective
« on: May 15, 2020, 01:26:58 PM »
While I can appreciate the access 3D printers have brought to this hobby (and Epic in particular) my heart still yearns for a time when if you needed a unit that wasn't commercially available you converted it. You see conversions less and less these days, so I thought I'd try a little challenge: finish a 3k army without any 3d printing or custom casting shortcuts. We'll see how this goes, but I'd like to finish this up before NEAT this year (normally held at the end of June, but still tentative given the world right now).

For the army I went with Imperial Guard, specifically Minervans using the old SM/TL models. I thought it was fitting to use models that are pushing 25–30 years old as it adds to the nostalgia factor for me. Minervans also offer plenty of opportunities for easier conversions what with all the vehicle variants.

I didn't do anything special for the Manticores, aside from snipping off the wrecking ball on the back of their launcher. I have some 1/8" diameter adhesive fish eyes coming, they're used to make lures but I think they'll work out great as hatches. I plan to put a hatch on each one on the right hand side, as this will be useful for my Commissar characters (see below).

The Salamander Scouts and Command are the most intensive conversions in this army, the back compartment was made out of plasticard square tubing and strips, filed and cut at different angles. The autocannons are nearly done, but I'm still trying to think of something for the heavy flamers aside from a plasticard build. These will get the hatches as well.

The Exterminators just got some brass wire as autocannons, I'm going to try and put some muzzle details on the end. I doubt putty will stick to them so I'll likely try heating up and bending some thin plasticard strips. You can see my plans for Commissars here, I'm making plugs that I'll be able to move around. When a vehicle doesn't need a Commissar I'll just have some hatch plugs to put in their place.

Finally, the only change I made to the Shadowswords was to use Squat heavy bolters for the sponsons. Not too bad, but then I realized I had to do 12 of them for the Storm Hammers… You can also see my Supreme Commander dude there as well, I need to sculpt his arms still.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 03:30:09 AM by Evil Dave »

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Evil Dave's Epic Imperial Guard - Building and Converting
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 02:30:58 PM »
Cracking project  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline bobhope

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 04:42:25 PM »
Awesome stuff- love the upgrade work

And really glad you’re “doing” Guard- always my favourite epic army
Will follow with interest
Your last thread made me dig out and tidy up some of my Guard stuff
So will blatantly steal ideas and inspiration again  :D

Offline Evil Dave

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 06:30:37 PM »
Nice Bob, what did you make the rolls/tarpaulin out of?

Offline bobhope

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 06:53:58 PM »
Rolls on these are Aluminium mesh for bundles and Aluminium foil for Tarps etc

Are you planning infantry?

Offline Evil Dave

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 07:43:53 PM »
Cool, they work well.

I have them for the army but won't get to them anytime soon. I'm most interested in doing all the Russ variants.

Offline Evil Dave

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 01:33:54 PM »
Still working on the conversions. The fish eyes came in so most of the tanks got them glued on. I still need to make some hatch plugs for some Salamanders and the Baneblade but that's mostly done. I also finished the Commissar plugs aside from sculpting the arms on them.

The Salamander Scouts got their autocannons this week. I ended up hacking apart a Chimerax turret, brass wire and a plastic tube that I drilled out to make the muzzle. One turret got me two autocannons. I'm still thinking on the Command, I think I'm going to try and make a heavy flamer like the Hellhound's cannon out of plastic.

The Exterminators got muzzles for their twin autocannons as well. I drilled out a plastic tube and cut away a small bit down the side so I could fit them side-by-side. They came out all right I think.

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 01:40:43 PM »
Excellent work, Epic was my first wargame and I still love it (although I’ve moved to net epic gold now). I love the use of FoW bases that’s genius. Anything you’re missing or need desperately?

BALM
Beneath A Lead Mountain - my blog of hobby procrastination and sometimes even some progress
https://beneathaleadmountain.blogspot.com/

Offline Evil Dave

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 02:12:36 PM »
Thanks BALM. There's a few things outstanding but nothing major (at least not for what I have planned for the tournament).

On the FoW bases, I needed something cheap and easy so these fit the bill. I'll have 140+ AVs and 15 WEs for this army, I didn't want to be spending time cutting and mag striping plasticard. Plus they'll match my knights, win-win.

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 05:59:56 AM »
On the FoW bases, I needed something cheap and easy so these fit the bill. I'll have 140+ AVs and 15 WEs for this army, I didn't want to be spending time cutting and mag striping plasticard. Plus they'll match my knights, win-win.
So, why bases?
Age old debate I know.
Just prefer them or another reason?

And loving this thread.

Grimm

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2020, 09:26:03 AM »
Wow looking good so far!

Offline Evil Dave

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2020, 12:16:17 PM »
So, why bases?

We play on sand textured tables, the bases protect the miniatures from it and it from the miniatures. Beyond that they help tie the army together in my opinion.

Offline Evil Dave

• Scientist
Re: Evil Dave's Epic Imperial Guard - Testing the Paint Scheme
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2020, 02:36:13 PM »
Most of the building is finished, I just need to sculpt a few more arms on the Commissar markers. I also got the tanks glued to the bases. I used 30 minute epoxy for this, as I wanted something a little more supstantial that super glue.

I came up with a heavy flamer for the Salamander Command, they're a multi-melta from the plastic Squat Trikes. I reworked the barrels a little bit to look more flamer-ish.

The Baneblades are all done as well. They got twin heavy bolter sponsons, a new heavy bolter in hull turret, and new lascannon barrels that made them match the Leman Russ more.

The Stormhammers all got their heavy bolter turrets as well. They weren't too bad once I drilled out the old barrel.

Finally, here's more first pass on the color scheme. Thoughts? I was shooting for something suitably 90s GW. It's not to the level of the Eldar, more a tabletop level I think.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2020, 02:45:04 PM »
Scheme looks good  :)

Maybe a thinned inkwash to bring out the panel lines and recessed details might make them pop a bit more?

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2020, 09:06:53 PM »
Great stuff but as Oshiro says a light wash or bit of pin lining will bring it all out beautifully.

Your work is excellent and is helping to motivate me during my COVID sheltering. I have both Ork and Squat armies (that each need to be reduced by 75% as they’re too big really and even then they’ll be big armies) that need to be tackled at some point soon.

Keep up the good work,
BALM
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 09:08:27 PM by BeneathALeadMountain »