Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:48:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: RT Blood Angel project  (Read 1324 times)

Offline Tauntaun Scout

• Assistant
RT Blood Angel project
« on: May 20, 2020, 07:45:00 PM »

Hi,
I am making some old Blood Angels. I have painted a tactical (lead!) squad and looted an ASC plastic scout squad from my 2nd edition Blood Angels army. I have another unpainted such scout squad and to swap it back out with someday. So that's enough squads to make 1,000 point army. I also have 5 lead heroes: A general, a chaplain, and 3 figures I need help identifying! Once all those are painted I will have a good cadre of 5 heroes, 2 squads, and soon, a LEADNOUGHT. The creep dinosaur grinning one! That will give me 1,000 points using a proxy list. Then I'll add squads till it hits 2k points and wrap up the army probably. If i could get my hands on an old Rhino I'd add that too, but I'm not holding my breath. Like a lot of people, I am using the quarantine to speedpaint my many hundreds of long neglected minis. Better to have a very basic paintjob, than to languish in storage forever. Unfortunately a lot of these will get later period backpacks cause I don't have any 1st iteration ones.

Tactical:

Scouts:

Mystery figures. I plan on using them, left to right, as a medic (though he's probably just a trooper), a librarian, and a techmarine. Maybe the one is a "Navigator"? I have no idea.

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
Re: RT Blood Angel project
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 12:38:21 AM »
That is all very cool.  The guys look like they are being sent into certain death. 

The later backpacks are no big deal.  This is a squad far beyond the reach of resupply, hybridizing equipment as they go.  Can't wait to see it finished. 

Offline Cypher226

• Mad Scientist
    • Friendly Fire
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 07:52:16 AM »
That's a nice classic red  :D

I'd recommend the 'stuff of legends' website for id'img those minis. I've seen them all before but I can't place them any more I'm afraid!

Offline Tauntaun Scout

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 12:04:54 PM »
The red is just Blood Red Citadel contrast paint. The trick is, I used satin yellow spray paint from a craft store as my primer.

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 01:46:41 PM »
Hey TS,

Cypher is right SOL is your friend. Lovely work and a nice vibrant red. What you have there are Brother Ward with a Bolt Pistol and powersword, Brother Craig with a Bolter and an unnamed Marine with a bio-scanner (excellent choice for a medic). I double checked my failing memory on SOL and have hopefully attached some reference pics.

BALM
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 06:52:16 PM by BeneathALeadMountain »
Beneath A Lead Mountain - my blog of hobby procrastination and sometimes even some progress
https://beneathaleadmountain.blogspot.com/

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 05:16:12 PM »
Looking good so far!! A really nice selection of marines too!

Offline Rommel

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 05:40:21 PM »
Of i had the money, i would try to by rogue trader marinés and imperial guard! I love thèse Fig’s!

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 06:45:39 AM »
Fantastic and only £2.50 for 3, bargain lol lol lol lol lol
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 01:37:21 PM »
I really miss those days. £10 or £11 for a bloodbowl team and the excellent red and yellow sticker sales each year, I was lucky as they’d happen just after my birthday, I’d then have to convince my mum to drive the 35 miles to the nearest store so I could splurge and get a haul big enough to last me until the next  :)

Tauntaun Scout where are you based? I’ve probably got some old backpacks you can have in my ridiculous lead mountain, although (as I’m currently in lockdown and haven’t been able to leave the house for over 2 months) you may have to wait until things get a little better before I can send them to you.

BALM

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2020, 06:51:55 PM »
Interestingly that 2.5 for three ends up being almost 8 quid in today's money.  So for 10 of them it would be just over 25 quid.  A box of space marines today with all the extra bits and heavy weapons options and so forth is only 27.50 GBP.  So really not much of an increase in terms of infaltion.

You can get 3 primaris marines for 10 quid so there you are getting bigger models for not that much more money.

That 10 quid you spent on a Blood Bowl team in 1988 is now worth 27.02 GBP but you can get a GW Blood Bowl team now for only 22.50 GBP. So on that score prices have decreased significantly.

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2020, 08:25:27 PM »
Pictor’s it’s easy to get distracted by nostalgia! It was £10 for 16 metal miniatures though (I think) not the 12 (and they weren’t just 2 x 6 sculpts) so you got a full team. Nowadays you have to buy two boxes if you want a proper team ( and cut and reposition them so they don’t look like clones, although that might just be me).

Sorry Tauntaun, What’s next in your painting queue? More marines or the leadnought?

BALM
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 08:30:07 PM by BeneathALeadMountain »

Offline katie

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2020, 09:24:31 PM »
"the excellent red and yellow sticker sales each year"

Man, they were ROUGH times financially. It's a good job GW was only ten minutes from the student house. We had to make multiple trips on the first days of the sale some years. There's only SO many boxes of Space Hulk, Mighty Empires and those curiously un-colourful platoon packs of things[1] you can carry...

(Didn't smoke, drink or run a car so had spare cash for lead poisoning!!)

I'm **STILL** painting figures from those hauls, nearly thirty years later. Most recently some Orc vehicles.

[1] White polystyrene A5 size with a clear top, and small sticker on them with none of the usual GW colour sleeves or anything. I got at least 2 of the Imperial Guard ones, full of those character figures to fill out around the regular squads from the awesome placcy box, Stealer hybrids and one of Orc vehicles.

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2020, 11:25:25 PM »
I'm originally from Nottingham and although we moved to the states when I was young we used to go back every year.  Where I lived there was nary a GW store, or even a store selling GW stuff in easy sight.  But I always saw it when I went  back and bought the odd thing my limited pocket money would allow.

When I was in college I had found a store that sold GW stuff and when we went back one year it was when they were switching to lead-free pewter and stuff was massively on-sale.  I bought a ton of stuff that trip.

As far as the Blood Bowl teams go, I don't play so don't really know what comprises a team.  It looks like some have about 16 figures although most have 12 these days.  The plastics actually appeal to me a lot more than the metals and switching to plastic is the best thing I think they have done just for transportability purposes (maybe I should stay away from lead adventure, HA!)

I was just thinking about this stuff in terms of the price of petrol the other day.  It was about $1 when I graduated from high school for a gallon and it seemed to me that with the glut of oil on the market today it should be about that again, but then did the math and figured out that in terms of dollars from that time it is about $1 from the 90s. 

But yes, back on topic, I second BeneathALeadMountain's question. What is up next?  I'd love to see that dread get a new paintjob.