Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:56:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686650
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: GumbaFish's RPG log (update 7/19/2020 they have a troll!)  (Read 1901 times)

Offline GumbaFish

• Student
GumbaFish's RPG log (update 7/19/2020 they have a troll!)
« on: May 23, 2020, 09:06:28 PM »
After years of having partially painted armies I realized that I just spend too much time painting single miniatures. Inspired by people like James Wappel and Marco Frisoni, who turn out some amazing work in short timeframes, I decided to adopt a mindset of painting faster and getting more finished miniatures. My aim is to spend 2 or less hours on miniatures unless it is something special I want to spend time on. As part of this journey I will also be experimenting with new techniques, mediums, and styles to see what I can do to achieve pretty nice results in shot time periods.

This log will be mostly fantasy miniatures for D&D since I thought that would give me a lot of chances to try different schemes and techniques and I can paint a bunch of cool miniatures I enjoy instead of grinding out things for an army. Comments, critiques, advice, and questions are all welcome.

Without further rambling here is a group of goblins and an orc.
Painting time per miniature: ~1:15
New techniques tried: Oil paints
Reflecting on the process: I think I spent a little longer then I needed to on these guys because I was trying to make them look like a rag tag bunch. I probably used too many colors and this definitely slowed me down. I experimented with oil paints for some of the highlights and shadows and while I have a lot to learn they did offer some nice and quick blends to bring up the contrast. I think this was most effective on the reds.

And a shot from the workbench of things in the pipeline
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 05:14:26 PM by GumbaFish »

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: GumbaFish's quest for speed (mostly RPG minis)
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 09:12:08 PM »
Lovely work  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline epmoretto

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 09:20:57 PM »
Those are some pretty smooth blends for speed painted minis! Having never used oil paints, I am curious as to how to begin experimenting with them. Any tips?

Kind Regards,
Rico

Offline GumbaFish

• Student
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 10:45:56 PM »
Those are some pretty smooth blends for speed painted minis! Having never used oil paints, I am curious as to how to begin experimenting with them. Any tips?

Kind Regards,
Rico

Thanks! I'll be honest these were my first try with them so I don't know if I have a lot of wisdom to share just yet. I have used various enamel products for weathering a lot so I kind of treated them like that a little bit. Basically, I laid down base colors with acrylics and then used the oils to help create some highlights and shadows, primarily on the clothing for these guys. I got a 24 tube set from Dick Blick for ~$30 so I have plenty of colors and thinned them to about the same consistency as regular paints I use on miniatures. I basically placed the color where I wanted it and used a second clean dry brush to feather them out. Sometimes you need to let them sit a bit before blending but I don't have enough experience yet to give suggestions there. James Wappel is an excellent miniature painter and has a bunch of information about working with oils (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcNqXjmQLsA&list=PLAj7SgXbhwS_KFyF9yAzVcCPavrU_T6ls) and he also posts a lot of streams where you can watch him paint in real time. For the moment watching him is where I am getting most of my ideas from regarding oils so I'd definitely suggest checking out his videos. I'll keep trying to post about my experience and what I learn and hopefully can share some things I've learned along the way once I get a few more minis done using them.

Offline GumbaFish

• Student
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 10:16:00 PM »
I finished up a few Reaper wraith miniatures and a generic evil sorcerer that is an old GW mini I have had around for ages and painted several times prior. I figured it fit in well and would allow me to save a little time by repeating the purple scheme from the wraith onto another model.

Painting time per miniature: ~1:30
Techniques tried: Airbrushing inks, oil paints
Reflecting on the process: I've used inks a little bit before but only white ink to establish zenithal highlights after priming. I did the same process of adding white highlights but then hit the model with a colored ink to take advantage and it produced some great results. I did notice that different inks have different opacity and the blue was much more heavily pigmented and easier to work with. It took a little playing around but I enjoyed the experience and these were great test subjects since they were basically just robes and metallics. I was a little more comfortable with the oil paints this time but I was also aided by the fact that I established more contrast in my basecoat. I also tried a different way of painting dirt and stone and enjoyed the results even if they then get covered up with a lot of grass etc... All in all I am enjoying embracing a more organic painting process and the oils are helping to encourage that.

Oh I also finally varnished some random scatter terrain. No idea how long I took on these pieces but not long since it was a lot of drybrushing and quick and drity things. I noticed I forgot to paint the rope but I'm calling them good enough for now.

Offline GumbaFish

• Student
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 05:06:38 PM »
Its been a little while since an update but I've finished another miniature! I am not entirely sure how long I spent on this guy because I painted it off and on over a few weeks and probably took a little more time than usual because I've wanted to paint a stone troll since the mid 90's. This mini really had a similar vibe to the 90's GW stone trolls so it was great fun to finally paint one. There are a few areas that could be better but I'm happy enough to move on for now.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: GumbaFish's RPG log (update 7/19/2020 they have a troll!)
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2020, 06:19:44 PM »
Beautiful brushwork!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2020, 07:06:43 PM »
Great work on the troll.  I use the same mini for my dungeon crawl and it's superb.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2020, 11:28:00 PM »
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman