Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:29:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Futuristic Sub Warfare Project  (Read 8101 times)

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
Re: Futuristic Sub Warfare Project
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2020, 08:08:36 AM »
I've had a project similar to yours bubbling away on the back of the stove for a while, Bravo. My raw material for subs is defunct hair trimmers and shavers:

I'm aiming for a sort of "heavy starfighter" feel to how these 'subfighters' move and fight. They're big, armoured, capable of Mach 1+, and armed with nuclear torpedoes with semi-intelligent warheads.

But in truth, the real fun is in finding an old domestic appliance and seeing it go from potential landfill to a nice modelling project!  :)

I love these! More on this project please! I am however left wondering why you had so many hair clippers...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 08:11:52 AM by Commander Roj »

Offline Macrossmartin

• Scientist
  • Hobbies from Other Dimensions!
    • The Miniature Martin Site
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2020, 08:29:28 AM »
I love these! More on this project please! I am however left wondering why you had so many hair clippers...

That's a fair question! By way of reply, I'll start a separate thread, rather than hijack Bravo's. (The more futuristic underwater combat topics the better!!)  :D
Operating from an abandoned US spy base somewhere in the Australian outback, Miniature Martin produces games and scale miniatures set in parallel worlds, past and future. He is NOT trying to take over the Earth. This time.

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2020, 01:49:47 PM »
Thanks Martin. The more the merrier!  :D

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2020, 06:16:38 PM »
That's a fair question! By way of reply, I'll start a separate thread, rather than hijack Bravo's. (The more futuristic underwater combat topics the better!!)  :D

Outstanding!

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2020, 11:02:59 PM »
I am however left wondering why you had so many hair clippers...

lol lol lol

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2020, 12:51:32 AM »
There's a PS4 game I was unaware of called "Subnautica" which looks like it has plenty of good ideas in it.

http://subnauticagame.com/

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2020, 02:05:16 PM »
BravoSix,

Subnautica (which is great fun and I’ve been playing since it’s beta release - including clipping into an area under development and baffling the designers with my screenshots of areas it wasn’t yet possible to reach) has some nice ideas for habitats and wildlife but has no actual combat and only a saucer like mini-sub, a Prawn exo-suit and a bigger normal exploratory sub. Although the prawn suit is quite cool ( and modifiable with a drill, claws or grapple) and can probably be easily represented using power armour (like gzg’s NAC power armour). There is a second version of the game about to be released which is set under ice pack.

BALM

And in reply to your comment about me starting a new project - How dare you know me so well sir! I may have spent all night using my insomnia to stare at my notes for changing full thrust and reading Silent death to realise that you don’t really need to change anything if you didn’t want to, just say it’s underwater. But that doesn’t prove anything!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 02:08:03 PM by BeneathALeadMountain »
Beneath A Lead Mountain - my blog of hobby procrastination and sometimes even some progress
https://beneathaleadmountain.blogspot.com/

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2020, 03:16:56 PM »

And in reply to your comment about me starting a new project - How dare you know me so well sir! I may have spent all night using my insomnia to stare at my notes for changing full thrust and reading Silent death to realise that you don’t really need to change anything if you didn’t want to, just say it’s underwater. But that doesn’t prove anything!

I agree to a certain extent, but for me the holy grail of Sci-Fi sub warfare is a game of tense, stealthy, stalking that erupts into frenetic action, with lots of subs and drones. I tried the Warlords Stingray rules and tampered with them a bit for “streamlining” but ultimately I didn’t get the stealthy bit. I think that scenarios could help with that, providing both sides with an incentive to push the action along.

https://flickr.com/photos/65020607@N05/sets/72157646937370738

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2020, 04:12:31 PM »
Cmdr.Roj

I’ve only just started looking at SD again so was pleased to see things like drift (and of course) torpedoes being really suitable for the setting. I don’t know (or haven’t found yet) if it has rules for using blips/blinds and having spotting ranges (dependent on time of day/ surface weather etc) but I think they probably wouldn’t be that hard to introduce into the system ( maybe a pilot skill check or add in a spotting ability dependant on tech/skill level). I will keep investigating and report my findings. I may be considering knocking up some sub fighter minis too  :)

BALM

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2020, 05:10:58 PM »
Those are great in game photos Commander!

And in reply to your comment about me starting a new project - How dare you know me so well sir!

;) It's the gamers curse BALM. I know it well.

Thanks for the input on Subnautica. I wasn't sure if it had sub combat or not, but the game looked like it had some inspirational elements in it for creating an undersea world.

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2020, 05:20:02 PM »
I have SD, but have never gotten around to playing it, so I will have to have a look. I don’t recall any stealth aspect, but I might be wrong.

“ I will keep investigating and report my findings. I may be considering knocking up some sub fighter minis too”

Please!

I only just realised why you keep writing BALM! lol
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 06:42:00 PM by Commander Roj »

Offline Macrossmartin

• Scientist
  • Hobbies from Other Dimensions!
    • The Miniature Martin Site
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2020, 01:05:34 PM »
Dotto, Bravo's comments on your photos, Cdr. Roj. I recall seeing those some time ago when I first contemplated my own Stingray game. I particularly like the bigger / command / super Terrorfish; is that an original design?

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2020, 05:09:34 PM »
I am glad you like them. A friend from the Starship Combat News forum made all the models for me. I designed the “Leviathan”. It’s a shame I lost touch with him, and he made some great models. You might notice that there is a “minnow” Terror fish too. He came up with that one. I used the Werelords rules, but also used some of my own with the children based on the some basic Air war rules and some damage/ event cards. No stealthy action (apart from Terrorfish ambushes).
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 05:32:10 PM by Commander Roj »

Offline Samsonov

• Librarian
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2020, 06:08:13 AM »
I was thinking about similar ideas myself. I recently read the Hind Commander (http://assaultpublishing.com/about-hind-commander/#:~:text=Hind%20Commander%20is%20the%20first,modern%2C%20hypothetical%2C%20conventional%20conflict.) rules seeking to convert it into a submarine game. Players put down their helicopters as counter initially then need to detect the enemy (with different helicopters being better able to detect than others), then need lock on (also varies between helicopters) and also has evasive action (ability varies on size of submarine). I think it could provide a basis but I do not think it works solo so that is me out.

There is also a science fiction version of the rules called Shadows in the Void but I have not read them.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2020, 12:39:26 PM »
You might want to take a look at Shadows in the void as well, its the sci-fi fighter spin of from hind commander, by the same writer and the rules are currently pay what you want. http://assaultpublishing.com/shadows-in-the-void/
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)