Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:23:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Tintin in the Syldavian - Bordurian Air War  (Read 3735 times)

Offline Macrossmartin

• Scientist
  • Hobbies from Other Dimensions!
    • The Miniature Martin Site
Tintin in the Syldavian - Bordurian Air War
« on: May 27, 2020, 10:38:15 AM »

"The personal aircraft of Lt. Tintin during his involvement in the Syldvian - Bordurian Air War of 1937. Sparked by the kidnapping of King Muskar XII by Bordurian-sponsored reactionaries, the war marked the blooding of several iconic aircraft of the Second World War, including the Supermarine Type 300 'Pelican' which became the land-based 'Spitfire' in RAF service.

Only 20 Pelkans were in service with the Royal Syldavian Air Corps at the outbreak of war, yet they succeeded in defending the Syldavian side of Lake Polishov from more numerous Bordurian Bo-109 and 110 fighters. At the climax of the fighting, Tintin and Eskadril 6 were instrumental in rescuing King Muskar, and securing a truce which lasted until Borduria joined the Axis powers in 1941. "

I can't draw flying saucers all day long... https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=124474.0

...but I do have a love of machines that fly, and if they're a little fantastical, well, so much the better.

So, after stumbling on a fan-made map of Syldavia — the land that Hergé made famous in Tintin's adventure King Ottokar's Sceptre — I am revisiting an idea I had ages ago for a 'what if' air war between Syldavia and their bitter rival nation of Borduria. 

To start with, I liked the idea of setting the campaign around this 50+ km long lake which is split by the Syldavian / Bordurian frontier:

This is primarily because I rather like floatplanes, and have always wondered what would happen if the Schneider Trophy racers had been armed...  :D
I also have an idea for a storyline about something large and mysterious that lurks beneath the waters of Lake Polishov...

I have some 1/100th scale Axis and Allies Air Force miniatures currently doing nothing much. These are from the Battle of Britain starter sets, and consist of Spitfires, Hurricanes, 109's and 110's. They require a lot of correction to get them close to historically accurate, (see my old modelling blog for that story:) https://sites.google.com/site/martinsmodels/the-miniatures/battle-of-britain-1-100

— so I am thinking their inaccuracies could be explained away as quirks of local sub-types serving with the Syldavian and Bordurian services. (Saving me a lot of time and Tamiya putty.)

I'll need to sculpt floats for the Pelikans, and get them printed up. Not too hard to do.

We know from King Ottokar's Sceptre that the Bordurian's have Bf109's, although the exact model is impossible to pin down; The story is set before WW2, but the re-draw seen here dates from 1947:

I think just rounding the wingtips and replacing the flat-cone spinners of the A&A 109's will suffice for the Bordurian's prime fighter. Decals will need to be designed and printed, but I can take care of that. But should I make the 109's floatplanes as well?

Now I need to decide on aircraft for Haddock and the Thompson twins to fly! Any suggestions? >:D

« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 08:03:06 AM by Macrossmartin »
Operating from an abandoned US spy base somewhere in the Australian outback, Miniature Martin produces games and scale miniatures set in parallel worlds, past and future. He is NOT trying to take over the Earth. This time.

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
Re: Tintin in the Syldavian - Bordurian Air War
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 10:53:50 AM »
Bordurian's planes look like the Bf109A to me (would make some sense seeing as that model also flew in Spain).
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline Macrossmartin

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 11:11:20 AM »
Bordurian's planes look like the Bf109A to me (would make some sense seeing as that model also flew in Spain).

I'm not absolutely sure; from what I've read of the way Studio Hergé approached the redraws, they gathered a lot of reference images for cars, aircraft, etc. However, I don't think there was a concerted effort to portray any particular aircraft with 100% accuracy. This official, pre-built model from a few years ago almost suggests the 109 should be an 'F':

But of course, that wouldn't fit the timeline.

More significantly, I don't have any F's to convert (the A&A models are E's), so they're going to become Bordurian-specific 109's, assembled in the freshly rebuilt state munition factories outside of Szohôd. And the less said about the ammunition 'mishap' that cleared the way for that glorious rebuild, the better!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 11:13:54 AM »

Now I need to decide on aircraft for Haddock and the Thompson twins to fly! Any suggestions? >:D

The Thompsons would fly whatever the aerial equivalent of a Citroën 2CV is.  :)

Of course, Tintin had not met Haddock at this stage in his adventures, but don't let that stop you. I'm thinking something British (Georges Remi did refer to Haddock as being English on occasion), maybe another seaplane of some sort? An old rickety Sopwith Schneider or Sopwith Baby, maybe?
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 11:21:44 AM »
The Thompsons would fly whatever the aerial equivalent of a Citroën 2CV is.  :)

Like the Boeing P-26 Peashooter.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 06:13:55 PM »
Second and third image from the first post not showing up for me. Looks like you used the google search address rather than the actual source page address?

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 06:21:34 PM »
Neat thread, I've entertained making a Syldavian force of some sort in the past. I love Prisoner of Zenda. Imaginations have a great appeal to me for some reason.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 08:22:01 PM »
Second and third image from the first post not showing up for me. Looks like you used the google search address rather than the actual source page address?

Same here.... :(

Doug

Offline Macrossmartin

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2020, 08:17:24 AM »
Take a 100 lines, Martin: "I must not trust GooglePhotos to display images properly."  :`

Photos should behave themselves now.

Speaking of photos, someone on another forum just reminded me of this delightful aircraft; the Dewoitine HD 780:

That is a rather pretty waterbird.  :)

And there is a D.520 available in the Axis and Allies 1/100 range...

... although this would involve sculpting a new wing as well as pontoons. Still, I think it would make a wonderful stable-mate for the Pelikan.

Offline leadboy

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 01:51:47 PM »
If you want something cheep and cheerful and 1930s looking with a big radial engine (or a squadron or two) -

https://hereford1938avbcwtng.blogspot.com/2020/04/aircraft-reach-for-vbcw-sky.html

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2020, 07:40:16 AM »
To start with, I liked the idea of setting the campaign around this 50+ km long lake which is split by the Syldavian / Bordurian frontier:

Isn’t that lake full of sharks?

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2020, 07:45:51 AM »
Amazing. King Ottakars Sceptre was my favourite Tintin book.

I can see the Thompson twins in some sort of two seater biplane.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2020, 08:22:35 AM »

That's what Georges Remi thought, too...

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2020, 08:38:14 AM »
That looks like a Tiger Moth.
Great thread :) Of course Porco Rosso might be worth a look for inspiration  :)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2020, 11:52:42 AM »
Amazing. King Ottakars Sceptre was my favourite Tintin book.

How about a Breuget  XIX? Luis at Minarons was planning one in 15mm/1/100 IIRC. He has one in 1/144.
"It's only a flesh wound...."